Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: No News is Good News

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Uh no its not lol. Nino is actually a positive contributor in both ends of the ice, posting some very solid possession metrics, and 40-45 points is nothing to sneeze at. RNH is a 6M player and posts only slightly better numbers for 6M. Give me those contracts all day. They arent cheap, but its not like Lucic getting paid 6M or Russell getting 4 m. We also have around 6 M of completely wasted cap on non NHLers

That's just the grass being greener talking.

A 2nd line tweener at $5.25M would cripple this team's cap.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Rask has 1g 5a in 26 games this season, that's not really putting up points. Nino's overpaid at 5M+ but at least he was still on a 40+ point pace.
Quote me on this. This will be a good trade off for Minnesota. Rask was getting buried in Carolina for some reason. In Minnesota he's likely going to be replacing Eric Staal in the very near future and those numbers will rebound.

This trade is another example of how difficult it is to move salary in thet cap era and how little wingers are valued when they're attached to contracts with heavy salary and term.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Roster with Ceci and Pageau:

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Khaira-Pageau-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Yamamoto

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Ceci
Jones-Russell

Koskinen
Talbot

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No doubt Rask is worth more than Strome (although, we gave up alot to get Strome). But they arent worlds apart in value. You add a 2nd and thats the same value package. We got friggin Spooner lol
Rask and Strome were both from the same draft. Strome was also drafted much higher. Strome's career high was higher. Both players are establishing themselves as reliable 3C. Similar to Kadri but not as good. Both should have similar value especially when contract is factored in

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I also have a feeling Talbot ends up in Buffalo for one of their 1st’s. But who knows how Chia will handle it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Roster with Ceci and Pageau:

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Khaira-Pageau-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Yamamoto

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Ceci
Jones-Russell

Koskinen
Talbot
I don't see Rattie here for much longer. I mean I rather have him and throw JP/KY in the minors, but Hitch just doesn't seem to use him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Then youre crazy. Spooner is almost done in the league.
No your crazy, both are trash, both are buy-out candidates one is 6 years of $1.333M and the other is 2 years of $1.333M. Quite likely you could get a better player for the $2.6667M savings on Rask or the $1.766M cap savings on Spooner via free agency.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ceci makes a lot of sense considering PC apparently was looking at him before.

Disagree. He’d be, at best, our 5th dman, and doesn’t bring enough offense to bother wasting assets to acquire. And he’s not a winger, which is what we actually need.

I mean, if Sekera comes back healthy, and Jones and Bouchard progress next year (all 3 is definitely unlikely, but it’s a hypothetical), where does he even play? We could very well see

Klefa - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Bouchard
Jones
Ceci

Realistically, it’s probably
Klefa - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Ceci
Manning

But even then, why waste the assets instead of putting them towards addressing our needs?

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That's just the grass being greener talking.

A 2nd line tweener at $5.25M would cripple this team's cap.

This teams cap situation right now? Maybe, but our cap situation is already broken beyond repair without that contract

A smart, well cap managed team could easily do this and would be better off for it. 5.25M for a top 6 player is solid. I mean we pay Lucic 6M and hes a 4th line caliber player

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Disagree. He’d be, at best, our 5th dman, and doesn’t bring enough offense to bother wasting assets to acquire. And he’s not a winger, which is what we actually need
Unless we’re gettinh a top 4 RHD, we should spend assets on the wing

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This teams cap situation right now? Maybe, but our cap situation is already broken beyond repair without that contract

A smart, well cap managed team could easily do this and would be better off for it. 5.25M for a top 6 player is solid. I mean we pay Lucic 6M and hes a 4th line caliber player

Unless you have a magic wand to fix the current cap situation, it kind of matters.

Should be pretty obvious why Chia wasn't in on Nino.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Disagree. He’d be, at best, our 5th dman, and doesn’t bring enough offense to bother wasting assets to acquire. And he’s not a winger, which is what we actually need
And? I mean we added a guy that is what our 10th best d-man for a winger that we needed?

I don't actually like the fit for our first, I can just see it going to Ottawa in a package for him though

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unless you have a magic wand to fix the current cap situation, it kind of matters.

Should be pretty obvious why Chia wasn't in on Nino.
Even with cap I wouldn't have gone after him. Nino is a guy that at maybe 4mil you can work with, not 5.25 for that many years. 4 years at over 5+ a year needs to be a sure thing. Not yet another maybe he'll fit guy

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
And? I mean we added a guy that is what our 10th best d-man for a winger that we needed?

I don't actually like the fit for our first, I can just see it going to Ottawa in a package for him though

Fair enough :laugh:. I just hope Chia has the brains to get a forward instead of a dman considering they apparently FINALLY figured out that’s what we need

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Unless we’re gettinh a top 4 RHD, we should spend assets on the wing

Ceci is a top 4 RHD... no sense on penciling Bouchard into the top 4 next year. I really like the looks of that group and feel we’d only need to add one or two pieces next summer to really put us over the top. I mean theoretically going into next year you could have this group:

RNH-Mcdavid-?
?-Draisaitl-
Khaira-Pageau-?
?-Brodziak-?

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Ceci
Jones-Russell

I’m expecting we’d try to dump Lucic, Sekera, Manning, this summer. Bring back Chiasson and if Bouchard is ready trade one of Nurse/Klefbom for a winger to play with Draisaitl.

Last edited:

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Anyone notice that Stauffer didn't really validate that the Oil were interested in Ferland when Friedman mentioned it? Instead he asked if Friedman thinks Ferland is better than Maroon. Maybe the Oilers are thinking about bringing back Maroon on the cheap rather than giving up a 1st rounder for ferland. Contract wise moving forward Maroon would be much more affordable and allow the possibility to spend money elsewhere for depth.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough :laugh:. I just hope Chia has the brains to get a forward instead of a dman considering they apparently FINALLY figured out that’s what we need
I like Russell, but is there a way to move him and the 1st to Ottawa and grab Ceci and a forward?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ceci is a top 4 RHD... no sense on penciling Bouchard into the top 4 next year.

Ottawa having to play him there doesn’t make him a top 4 dman. He’s like a #5, and he’s not that good at anything other than holding his stick with his left hand at the top.

Anyone notice that Stauffer didn't really validate that the Oil were interested in Ferland when Friedman mentioned it? Instead he asked if Friedman thinks Ferland is better than Maroon. Maybe the Oilers are thinking about bringing back Maroon on the cheap rather than giving up a 1st rounder for ferland. Contract wise moving forward Maroon would be much more affordable and allow the possibility to spend money elsewhere for depth.

That would be an ideal scenario imo. And offer him like 4 years @2.0 per before he steps foot on the ice

I like Russell, but is there a way to move him and the 1st to Ottawa and grab Ceci and a forward?

Unless that’s Duchene/Stone with an extension, I’m not sure why we’d want to. Russell is better than Ceci

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Quote me on this. This will be a good trade off for Minnesota. Rask was getting buried in Carolina for some reason. In Minnesota he's likely going to be replacing Eric Staal in the very near future and those numbers will rebound.

This trade is another example of how difficult it is to move salary in thet cap era and how little wingers are valued when they're attached to contracts with heavy salary and term.

And here's a quote from their beat writer Luke Decock (the Herald Sun- Feb 5, 2018)- "If new owner Tom Dundon wants to win over fans, he ought to be handing out $5 bills at the end of every flaccid Victor Rask shift in apology – and there are only four more years to run on the long-term contract Francis gave Rask for no apparent reason."

Fact of the matter is Rask has gotten outplayed by every other center in Carolina, I won't argue that it won't be a good trade for Minny cause Nino while a good player was making a lot for what he contributed and Rask is a reasonably cheap buy-out (though it does stretch on for a while), to me this is a reload trade where you think you can use your money more efficiently elsewhere, but it also skews Minny towards being a worse team this season which is a bit confusing given their current position and average age of their group.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad