Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Klefbom is Injured, Who Replaces Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I don't think the source is right. If I was an agent, why would I leak this information? Even if my client has no interest in signing with a team, I would still negotiate with them to start a bidding war.

Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think the source is right. If I was an agent, why would I leak this information? Even if my client has no interest in signing with a team, I would still negotiate with them to start a bidding war.

Sounds pretty dumb to me.
You’re assuming all agents are smart and act with common sense.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Every goddamn day.

I don’t even wanna get into it. I’m drinking now. I understood the Hall trade but the 1st and 2nd for Reinhart. That killed me. I watched the draft that said and I remember Bettman announcement “ we have a trade” I looked at Chiarellis face and u could tell it was bad
Sorry to bring it up

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is why I really can't see Tyson Barrie being the best fit here.

Team defence isn't players like Larsson and Russell sitting back, blocking shots and bouncing the puck off the boards anymore. We need guys like Barrie that get the puck up to the forwards fast and accurate. You remove Russell and Benning and add Barrie and Bouchard and our defence will have an entirely different look.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Team defence isn't players like Larsson and Russell sitting back, blocking shots and bouncing the puck off the boards anymore. We need guys like Barrie that get the puck up to the forwards fast and accurate. You remove Russell and Benning and add Barrie and Bouchard and our defence will have an entirely different look.

You need a mix - I agree that I don't want guys sitting back like Russell + Larsson (Larsson wasn't always that player, it was a sharp decline) but also I'd like guys that don't have a sky high FA/60 which Barrie generally does. He creates a lot of chances but boy does he give up a lot of chances. I actually don't always hate Benning - he was arguably our best D-man vs Chicago.

I'm a big fan of Bouchard and hope his defensive play progresses as he develops.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People don't seem to get it. Getting stronger team defense doesn't mean strong defensive players. It means having a balanced team. Strong team defense is players doing what they can in the system to prevent goals against. Strong offensive guys keeping the puck out of our zone by keeping the puck in the ozone

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jesus Christ, Edmonton is getting freaking hammered the last few days.

Honestly, is the city really that god awful? I mean, you have two of the best players in the league, a brand new state of the art arena and a team that was vastly improved this season and players still want to avoid this place like the plague. Is Calgary really that much nicer? I always knew that Edmonton was low on the destination list but this is brutal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Honestly, is the city really that god awful. I mean, you have two of the best players in the league, a brand new state of the art arena and a team that was vastly improved this season and players still want to avoid this place like the plague. Is Calgary really that much nicer? I always knew that Edmonton was low on the destination list but this is brutal.
The fact that the city isn't the greatest and we have 2 of the bet in the world and are still barely relevant, why would players lineup to come here? Maybe guys don't like Tippets style too?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Honestly, is the city really that god awful? I mean, you have two of the best players in the league, a brand new state of the art arena and a team that was vastly improved this season and players still want to avoid this place like the plague. Is Calgary really that much nicer? I always knew that Edmonton was low on the destination list but this is brutal.

I can't think of any good free agents the Flames have signed in recent history. How do we know they don't see Edmonton and Calgary as equally undesirable?

You can read 'Markstrom has Edmonton and Detroit on his no-sign list' as 'Markstrom has ONLY Edmonton and Detroit on his no-sign list' if you want.

Reactions: nabob

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The fact that the city isn't the greatest and we have 2 of the bet in the world and are still barely relevant, why would players lineup to come here?

I'm not expecting players to line up to come to Edmonton, ever really, but they're being singled out as a "don't want to go there" place the last few days while Calgary is a destination at least in Markstrom's case? Is it really the water?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

And the sad part is for the most part we treat our players like Royalty. I have lived in Edmonton most of my life and it really is not that bad here. Beautiful river valley friendly people and a growing downtown core. The weird thing is Edmonton never had these issues pre salary cap. Hell Doug Weight took multiple discounts until the PA forced him to take market value. I think the biggest issue is these athletes are so coddled and so out of touch with reality and think every city needs to a New York or LA to be great.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I'm not expecting players to line up to come to Edmonton, ever really, but they're being singled out as a "don't want to go there" place the last few days while Calgary is a destination at least in Markstrom's case? Is it really the water?

Goaltenders have more support in Calgary.

Talbot must be really gossiping about his time here.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
And the sad part is for the most part we treat our players like Royalty. I have lived in Edmonton most of my life and it really is not that bad here. Beautiful river valley friendly people and a growing downtown core. The weird thing is Edmonton never had these issues pre salary cap. Hell Doug Weight took multiple discounts until the PA forced him to take market value. I think the biggest issue is these athletes are so coddled and so out of touch with reality and think every city needs to a New York or LA to be great.

Not exactly.

We've been driving players out of here left and right since the early 90's.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Goaltenders have more support in Calgary.

Talbot must be really gossiping about his time here.

Perhaps but Calgary's defense is awful defensively to be quite honest, have always been overrated in that aspect, but maybe it's a reputation thing with Markstrom as Calgary has this reputation of having a good defense for some odd reason.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter because markets like Edmonton will almost always have to build exclusively through the draft. Even more reason to not trade away top prospects for quick fixes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Think the Markstrom story is probably BS. It's from a radio personality in Vancouver who's a known attention whore. You don't need a list of no-gos even as a UFA. Even if he didn't want to come here his agent would not want a list or anything like that because he can use every market to get leverage for a deal like "oh Vancouver you're only offering 5 per, well Edmonton just offered us 5.5", that sort of thing.

OEL bit is legit, but that's fair for him, he signed a long term deal in Arizona, if he's moving to a different market it means he taking a pay cut (a significant one) to go somewhere else because of the tax difference. He is within his rights to pick and choose where he wants to be.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Apparently he’s really close with Lindholm.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Not exactly.

We've been driving players out of here left and right since the early 90's.
Yeah we have also treated players that try hard and show up every night like Kings. Pronger was a freaking rockstar when he was here. Smyth is a god in this city. If you put in the effort you are rewarded accordingly. Hell we have gave Anderson the goalie a standing ovation when he shut us out FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad