Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Klefbom is Injured, Who Replaces Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Main boards just get a kick out of shitting on this city and team. Every day I feel like there’s a new thread out there.

Talking shit about the Oilers is one thing but talking crap about Edmonton as a city should be a bannable offense IMO. f*** outta here with that garbage.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Main boards just get a kick out of shitting on this city and team. Every day I feel like there’s a new thread out there.

Talking shit about the Oilers is one thing but talking crap about Edmonton as a city should be a bannable offense IMO. f*** outta here with that garbage.

Not bannable yet though.....which is why I f***ing hate Toronto. Literally. What a giant steaming pile of shit.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Jesus Christ, Edmonton is getting freaking hammered the last few days.

Honestly, is the city really that god awful? I mean, you have two of the best players in the league, a brand new state of the art arena and a team that was vastly improved this season and players still want to avoid this place like the plague. Is Calgary really that much nicer? I always knew that Edmonton was low on the destination list but this is brutal.

Over-reading it much IMO. I mean, if someone asked me if Edmonton would be my top choice to go to, I'd say no, but what is to say it isn't their 2nd choice? I don't read much into that stuff anymore. Just the media making something that isn't really factual.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Twits like OEL and Markstrom think Edmonton is such a poor market can have their Canucks and Flames. They aren’t interested in winning. Just money and lifestyle. So f*** them.

Winning? The Oilers have made 1 playoff appearance in 14 years. Until we actually start winning consistently, this will always be the perception about Edm

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And if you show any signs of weakness you're crucified for all eternity.
This has more to do with the older fans no offense intended to anyone on that. Like someone pointed it is guys like Terry Jones and other dinosaurs in the media that run a player out of town. Once one bad article is written about a player it’s curtains for them. The fans are easily persuaded by that guy and other sports media members. Guys like Poti and Petry even Schultz for that matter were all doomed. Hell the man wrote a bad take on a HOF defensemen in the 80s and the fans jumped on board. I mean the whole Property instead of salary thing definitely lead to Coffey leaving but Jones had his part for sure. As much as we all seem to love Puck Moving Defenseman in Edmonton if you aren’t a hard hitting big guy too you get chastised.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Over-reading it much IMO. I mean, if someone asked me if Edmonton would be my top choice to go to, I'd say no, but what is to say it isn't their 2nd choice? I don't read much into that stuff anymore. Just the media making something that isn't really factual.
OEL has a full NMC as well. That's a 31 team no trade list. All we know of is 2 teams he'd be willing to go to. Maybe there are only a handful of teams he would agree to go to. We'd be one of a couple dozen teams then.

We were just one of the teams that stuck our neck out to get him and made it publicly known.

There are likely all kinds of snubs like this that go totally unknown all around the league.

Reactions: Paralyzer

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I would get banned on the mains for saying that Phoenix isn't a hockey city
Winning? The Oilers have made 1 playoff appearance in 14 years. Until we actually start winning consistently, this will always be the perception about Edm

And have still have more playoff series wins then Calgary during those 14 years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Kind of surprised that OEL and Markstrom don't want to come here. Not that I particularly wanted them in the first place. Just kind of frustrating that we are still being seen as a no fly zone despite having the 2 best players in the league.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
We all complain about free agents not coming here, but almost all free agents over grossly overpaid anyways. Let's try the trade market, pick a good player at 14 and then I'd let the dust settle a couple days into free agency and once the stupid money is spent there will be some good value to be found I think.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Hopefully oilers can get some players on value deals thru free agency and maybe trades. Oilers might be better off missing out on OEL and markstrom. Im pretty sure u can use the $14mil in cap space it would cost to acquire oel and markstrom and use it to get 4-5 nhl players. Build out the "depth" everyone talks about.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Kind of surprised that OEL and Markstrom don't want to come here. Not that I particularly wanted them in the first place. Just kind of frustrating that we are still being seen as a no fly zone despite having the 2 best players in the league.

Ultimately we have to start winning regularly to even be a somewhat attractive destination.

Also stop chasing players with NTCs and NMCs. Almost all of them don’t want to come here.

Need to also start building through the draft and make some shrewd free agent signings (like DeMelo or someone like him). It doesn’t have to be a big splash. Just someone we know can play.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
OEL has a full NMC as well. That's a 31 team no trade list. All we know of is 2 teams he'd be willing to go to. Maybe there are only a handful of teams he would agree to go to. We'd be one of a couple dozen teams then.

We were just one of the teams that stuck our neck out to get him and made it publicly known.

There are likely all kinds of snubs like this that go totally unknown all around the league.

Exactly. Twisting what the media says to them saying "NO ONE WANTS TO COME TO EDMONTON" is absurd. It may not be their FIRST choice, sure, I get that, but we aren't the WORST place to play.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

You don;t want to see how this oiler forum has treated arizona or winnipeg.

Reactions: North

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it doesn't help that we still aren't a contender. I could see a rationale that either you want to take less money to go to a real contender, or go to a low end team with tons of cap space, and get the huge contract. We can't offer a big deal, and we aren't a contender.

And players don't like the idea that they are the ones meant to be "the last piece". Like we get that player, and now the expectation of results is through the roof. That's a lot of pressure in itself.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Players have their own preferred citys to play in, nothing against OEL for not lifting his no trade clause for us.

As for Markstrom, if he did really say that about Edmonton, then no skin off our backs. I wouldn't want to be a city that he thinks is A-grade, because then it must be filled will entitled and pretentious people like him.
Edmonton is developing it's own unique identity, and it's only going to keep getting better. High quality, blue collected Community. Talent is one thing but we have standards for role models as well.
Let the main boards run their mouths, it shows the quality of who they are and where their from then any reflection of our city and it's people.

As a smaller city compared to most of the NHL, we are a real hockey city. With true blue fans that respect the sport and what it stands for.
There will be good players that want to come here, we just have to find them.
At least we know who doesn't, so I hope Holland moves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->