Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Klefbom is Injured, Who Replaces Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So right now, our opening night forward group is looking like:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
_____- Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - ______ - Puljujarvi
_____- Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson

since we're rumored to not be qualifying AA. Still need a 3c and a top 6 winger. Maybe we bring Ennis back for the 4th line, or call up Haas/Nygard.

On defense:

____ - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Benning

Jones might play with Larsson, which means Lagesson (?) or someone else will have to slot in on the bottom pairing.

In net:

Koskinen
_____

Lot of holes for Holland to start addressing here.

I think we end up signing a LW for Mcdavid and keep the DRY line together. I'm hoping that we can sign JP and he works his way onto Mcdavids line. Russell probably stays because of the Klefbom injury unless we make a deal for a top 4 LD.

UFA-Mcdavid-JP
DRY
Neal-Khaira-Chaisson or Kassian (one will be traded)
Khaira-Haas-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

It will be interesting to see what Holland will do over the next 2 weeks.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Honestly I think top 6 winger is a bigger hole than 3c. Worst case we plug Haas in there again or re-sign Sheahan for cheap. Keeping DRY together and finding a winger for McDavid should be one of the top priorities now (other than finding a Klef replacement and a 1b goalie to split with Koskinen, of course).

Disagree. McDavid's line will always be a threat regardless of who is on the wing. It's a need to fill that role but far down the list of priorities IMO.

The Oilers had one of the worst 3rd lines in the league last season, they were absolutely destroyed at even strength and will never go anywhere in the playoffs without a competent 3rd line. It has to be fixed, Haas isn't even close to a real solution for that role. That and 1B goalie (obviously) are must fixes this offseason.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I think we end up signing a LW for Mcdavid and keep the DRY line together. I'm hoping that we can sign JP and he works his way onto Mcdavids line. Russell probably stays because of the Klefbom injury unless we make a deal for a top 4 LD.

UFA-Mcdavid-JP
DRY
Neal-Khaira-Chaisson or Kassian (one will be traded)
Khaira-Haas-Archibald

Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

It will be interesting to see what Holland will do over the next 2 weeks.

Honestly I prefer this to getting OEL and losing Bouchard + one of Jarvis/Quinn/Mercer/Askarov

Reactions: Mez

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Seravalli added the following names to the trade bait board:

DeBrusk, Tuukka Rask, Bobrovsky, Martin Jones, Merzlikins, Yandle, Duchene, Johansen, Bonino, Schwartz, Marchessault, Martinez, Stastny, Kessel, Kris Russell, Trocheck, Wennberg, Montour, Evan Bouchard, Dubnyk

Lots more names out there than we thought maybe.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Disagree. McDavid's line will always be a threat regardless of who is on the wing. It's a need to fill that role but far down the list of priorities IMO.
The Oilers had one of the worst 3rd lines in the league last season, they were absolutely destroyed at even strength. It has to be fixed, Haas isn't even close to a real solution for that role. That and 1B goalie (obviously) are must fixes this offseason.

I don't know if that's actually true to be honest. There's a reason Tippett put Nuge back on McDavid's line, and let's just say it wasn't because RNH needed it.

Depending on how the third line is deployed, I could see your reasoning for needing a center that can those important & heavy defensive zone minutes, but that's not how Tippett rolls. With Pulju and another defensively responsible winger on the third line, I can see them getting softer minutes in the o-zone when Connor & Leon need rest.

Don't get me wrong, I would still prefer a center who is better at 5v5 than Sheahan & Haas, but DRY transformed our team completely and I'd like it to stay that way.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With the contract slide Bouchard has immense value. I have no idea why he's on that board.

Reactions: McDoused

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
If Bouch or Bro are involved its a huge no for me with OEL...If its for a #1/2 dman in his early prime, then maybe.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Lot of it is re-hashed info but haven't seen the Chiasson - Bjork deal in a while. Why is everyone saying Bouchard + 1st? Oh god Holland.
Cause that's reportedly the ask. Doesn't mean Holland will do it. Guy straight up hates not having a first rounder.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
With the contract slide Bouchard has immense value. I have no idea why he's on that board.
Did Bouchard kick Holland’s dog or something?? He is tracking perfectly to be exactly what the Oilers need, exactly when they need it. SMH.

Reactions: McWeber

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018

Arizona wants him ++ for OEL. I think he wouldn't be up there if OEL wasn't available.

I still can't see Bouchard being traded. Top 10 pick, expansion exempt, crisp first pass, rocket of a shot, been developing properly since the draft, and he's finally poised to transition to our third pairing.

There are only a few defenseman in the league I would trade Bouchard + for. Please not for OEL.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oilers finally get a solid puck-moving D prospect.

On the trade bait board before age 21...
It’s only because his name keeps popping up In the OEL rumour. I seriously doubt he’s being shopped to the highest bidder. TSN just trying to create discussion to increase viewers.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If they trade both the 14th pick + Bouchard for OEL I'm going to lose my s***. That is a move we will regret big time. There's not many defenseman 26+ years old that I would trade that package for, off the top of my head.

-Josi
-Hedman
-Carlson

I'm probably missing a couple, but OEL definitely isn't on the list.

Especially considering OEL's albatross of a contract.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Mrazek would be an upgrade on Smith ... but idk ... it just sort of feels like Holland is too focused on Detroit players. I get that, its who he knows best, but does he not trust the pro scouts?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah Bouchard has a ridiculous value. ELC contract, doesn't need to be protected in the expansion draft, and RHS offensive Dman. To be honest, I'm not sure I would trade Bouchard straight up for OEL. OEL is older, has a *terrible* contract, and needs to be protected in the expansion draft.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did Bouchard kick Holland’s dog or something?? He is tracking perfectly to be exactly what the Oilers need, exactly when they need it. SMH.
He is on the board cause Arizona wants him, not that Holland wants to trade him.

I do think Holland isn't his biggest fan cause he doesn't play fast or skate well. And by play fast I mean make quick decisions etc. He is an incredible passer but a bit slower and cerebral. He likes guys right now who make fast decisions or can move fast

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So it's re-sign Nuge or court Hall? Hmmmmm....

Pull out on OEL, sign Barrie to a 1-year.

Agree completely. If Klef is hurt all year, spend that money signing Barrie to a pretty decent 1 year deal (which he can parlay into a longer term deal after racking up PP points with 97/29). Then either sign RNH, or trade him, and use that money to sign Hall. I would rather just keep RNH actually, as he is better defensively, can play center, and will age-out better than Hall will, given their playing styles.

I don't walk away from OEL, I RUN away.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So it's re-sign Nuge or court Hall? Hmmmmm....

Pull out on OEL, sign Barrie to a 1-year.

I would take RNH personally.

I think he will sign a more affordable contract and I think hes more reliable and consistent. I dont think Hall is going to age very well in that contract. Depends what it is I guess.

Agree on OEL. I dont like the asks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad