Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Klefbom is Injured, Who Replaces Him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Losing Klefbom for long term sucks. Mostly because of the trickle down impact. It either makes us more desperate in a trade, causing us to give up way to much. Or we overplay Nurse and now have to pay him major $

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
From the sounds of it, not only does Arizona want a 1st this year plus a top end defenseman prospect, but they also don't want to take back any salary at all in the trade.

There's asking a lot for one of your best players and then there's refusing to live in reality.
Just don't give in Holland. They're the ones desperate to shed payroll.

Reactions: Faelko

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
If Dreger is saying it’s casual preliminary talks, I think it makes sense that Arizona is asking high. You never start with your lowest accepted deal. That’s my hope at least.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

MOAR

Oilers media, except Stauffer, seem to be trying to prep everyone for if we move Bouchard.

Again, these guys are just spitballing.
I like Rishaug but he's the king of speculation. I'd trust Stauffer's word over his even though Stauffer is a big speculator too. Stauffer actually works for the organization so he's definitely more in the loop.

This isn't to say that Bouchard won't be traded in an OEL deal but I wouldn't say Rishaug is prepping us for anything.

Also, Dreger said that could be Arizona's ask, not that the Oilers are offering that. Big difference.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Also interesting that a lot of media are saying first plus Bouchard and the one media member that works for the organization is saying just sign Barrie to a one year deal.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
With AA even though he may not be qualified, it may not mean that Holland wont try to sign him for a paycut. Those AA and Green trades sure didn’t work out thus far.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Like OEL, dont like that package

I would like to start seeing Oilers being rumored (or actually involved) in deals where we weren't the clear losers in a trade

Ill wait to see what the deal actually is (if there is one). But int he past Holland has not really been a good trader. And given the fact hes got Tippet in his ear likely begging for OEL, I cant imagine this will turn out well for us. But, we knew this when we hired Holland. Hired flawed GMs, get flawed results

This is what I fear, though I’m a big Holland supporter and I hope he doesn’t go down that path. But Tippett was the reason we paid Smith a bonus laden contract, so wouldn’t shock me he’s the reason we overpay for OEL

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So right now, our opening night forward group is looking like:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
_____- Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - ______ - Puljujarvi
_____- Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson

since we're rumored to not be qualifying AA. Still need a 3c and a top 6 winger. Maybe we bring Ennis back for the 4th line, or call up Haas/Nygard.

On defense:

____ - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Benning

Jones might play with Larsson, which means Lagesson (?) or someone else will have to slot in on the bottom pairing.

In net:

Koskinen
_____

Lot of holes for Holland to start addressing here.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I’m guessing I’ll be drinking away my pain on Oct 10th.

AA gone for nothing
Benning gone for nothing
No top 6 forward
No 3C
No new D

This has the making of a disaster.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand why we couldn't just trade AA instead of letting him walk

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
With AA even though he may not be qualified, it may not mean that Holland wont try to sign him for a paycut. Those AA and Green trades sure didn’t work out thus far.
Said every team who made a trade pre pandemic.Outside of Tampa

Sucks nothing you can do now.

As I put in here before I think AA will sign for less than his QO, but it won’t be in Edmonton

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
____- Draisaitl - Yamamoto
____- ______ - Puljujarvi
____- Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson

since we're rumored to not be qualifying AA. Still need a 3c and a top 6 winger. Maybe we bring Ennis back for the 4th line, or call up Haas/Nygard.

On defense:

____ - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Benning

Jones might play with Larsson, which means Lagesson (?) or someone else will have to slot in on the bottom pairing.

In net:

Koskinen
_____

Neal, Haas, Nygaard, Benson will fill those forward holes.

Russell likely stays on D

Maybe a Mrazek in net but could see them signing Smith on the cheap for another year.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Neal, Haas, Nygaard, Benson will fill those forward holes.

Russell likely stays on D

Maybe a Mrazek in net but could see them signing Smith on the cheap for another year.
Forgot Neal. I hope it's not all internal replacements though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Probably because other GMs know that he'll be available for free right away. He's doing what's best for himself which is to either go to arbitration or test out free agency.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
____- Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Neal - ______ - Puljujarvi
____- Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson

On defense:

____ - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Jones - Benning

In net:

Koskinen
_____

Neal and Nygard will fill two of those spots, maybe Ennis for the McDavid line.

The two (now three) big holes are #3C, 1B goalie and now top pair LHD. The worst case right now is Klefbom's status being in limbo because they need that LTIR money so we should all hope, at this point, that he's ruled out for the year so they can move forward.

North

Jun 25, 2009

Can’t remember who said it but one of the talking heads said there is interest in AA but no one is willing to part with an asset for him.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

The two (now three) big holes are #3C, 1B goalie and now top pair LHD. The worst case right now is Klefbom's status being in limbo because they need that LTIR money so we should all hope, at this point, that he's ruled out for the year so they can move forward.
Honestly I think top 6 winger is a bigger hole than 3c. Worst case we plug Haas in there again or re-sign Sheahan for cheap. Keeping DRY together and finding a winger for McDavid should be one of the top priorities now (other than finding a Klef replacement and a 1b goalie to split with Koskinen, of course).

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Frank Seravalli has dropped a new trade bait list and the Oilers are at the forefront:

- The Oilers are attempting to find a taker for either restricted free agent Andreas Athanasiou and/or Matt Benning, both of whom will likely not receive a qualifying offer due to lack of cap space.
- Defenceman Oscar Klefbom’s lingering shoulder injury looms large. Sources indicate Klefbom is seeking opinions on how to move forward with the injury; if it requires surgery, he may be on the shelf long-term.
- If Klefbom is out for a long stretch, it would create opportunity on the salary cap by potentially using his $4.17 as a long-term injury exception to acquire a replacement. The Oilers are believed to have had preliminary discussions on acquiring defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, the new No. 1 on the Trade Bait board, from Arizona. But there is a financial component to the potential transaction that would need to involve Arizona retaining a portion of Ekman-Larsson's salary, which the Coyotes have not been willing to budge on. Top-end defensive prospect Evan Bouchard (No. 46) and the Oilers' first-round pick could be involved in a deal.
- The Oilers are believed to have made recent progress with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins’ camp on a long-term extension. Nugent-Hopkins, 27, is entering the final year of his deal at $6 million. There may actually be some urgency to getting a deal done sooner rather than later, or at the very least knowing in concrete terms whether there is a deal to be had.
- If Nugent-Hopkins is not in the fold, sources suggest the Oilers are interested in targeting Taylor Hall if he were to hit the free agent market. No team since the 1947-48 Montreal Canadiens has featured three Hart Trophy-winning forwards, which would be possible if Hall is back in Oil Country alongside Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid.
- Then there is the goalie market. Holland is set on acquiring a starter. The Oil have already been linked to Trade Bait in Matt Murray (No. 4), Darcy Kuemper (No. 21) and Petr Mrazek. Free agency is just nine days away and there is a slew of starters available, with many wondering whether the Oilers would take a run at Jacob Markstrom if he makes it to market.
- As reported on Wednesday, the Oilers are also in discussion to bring Jesse Puljujarvi back into the fold. Puljujarvi, 22, had 53 points in 56 games last season in Finland’s Liiga and the Oilers hold his rights until his 27th birthday. He is likely to remain in Europe until next season, but if/when a deal is worked out, it is likely to be a one-year contract worth $1.2 to $1.5 million.
- Adding Puljujarvi back to the mix would only add to Edmonton’s glut at right wing. Sources say the Oilers engaged the Boston Bruins on a left/right wing swap, Alex Chiasson for Anders Bjork. (Assistant GM Keith Gretzky drafted Bjork in Boston.) We’ll see where that goes, but the Oilers are pursuing a number of similar left/right swaps with other teams. There were rumours about the Oilers’ interest in bringing Bruins RFA Jake DeBrusk home to Edmonton. DeBrusk is No. 7 on the Trade Bait board, but given the Oilers’ cap constraints plus acquisition cost, he is likely too expensive.

Trade Bait: Frozen cap makes ‘franchise-changing’ players available - TSN.ca

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

If you trust Dreger, he thought we’d know more in the next few days on the Klefbom front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad