Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The trade deadline is going to be very unusual this year. For Canadian teams the date is honestly probably too late. Any additions are going to need to be made well before then so you actually get some games out of the players.

In a normal year we'd get about 20 games out of a player we add at the deadline. This year the Oilers have 12 games from the deadline to the end of the season.

But if you factor in the 2 week quarantine that any player we acquire from out of country would require than all of a sudden that 12 games becomes 6 at most.

So when do Canadian teams start to pull the trigger if they are looking to make additions. Or is this a year where you just let what you have ride.
Our best time is probably around the March 1st area where we have a three game set against Ottawa.

If we made a trade on Saturday or Sunday, we'd have to wait two games vs Toronto, one vs Calgary and three vs Ottawa. The new acquisition would be available vs Vancouver on the second half of a back to back.

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The only way I am brining Hall back is if he signs a team friendly contract. The Oilers can only sign one of Hall or Nuge if both do not take discounts. Nuge will be safest bet on a long term contract, plus he can play center if injuries occur.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
X-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun-Holloway-Kassian
X-Khaira-Archibald

Nurse-Barrie
Klefbom-Bear
X-Bouchard

X
Koskinen

2LW - I think a sniper would work well on that line.
3LW- PWF PK type of player
3LD - Penalty kill D

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Halls worth to us won’t be as much as another team. We already have two superstars who want the puck on their stick, Hall probably won’t be as impactful as he would be for another team. That being said he’s a good player that can be great at times and would definitely help. If he gives us a hometownish discount (I know he’s not from here but word is he liked it here) and wants to come to a team that can actually do some damage and threaten for a cup id be down.

Also heard Friedman said the feeling is Nuge wants to stay. It’ll be hard to fit both guys in, resign Nurse, and also resign Barrie (which I think based on his play deserves an offer). What if Nuge and Hall took equal contracts like before? Say at 7m each for a chance to finish what they started in Edmonton.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But Hall is coming off of a 1-year deal at 8 million, I doubt he'll take another 1-year deal, especially at a lower price.
He’ll kind of be forced to if he continues to not produce this season. That MVP season is getting further and further away from the memories of GMs in this league.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
He’ll kind of be forced to if he continues to not produce this season. That MVP season is getting further and further away from the memories of GMs in this league.

If Hall was smart he would have accepted a Barrie like contract on a very good team, and just played to win. He took the money instead imo.

Reactions: gordonhught

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Hall was smart he would have accepted a Barrie like contract on a very good team, and just played to win. He took the money instead imo.

if he was playing for a good team he might produce more too which would have lead to that money eventually. But the fact that’s he’s not producing actually bodes well for our chances of landing him... so good thing for the Oilers I guess.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
if he was playing for a good team he might produce more too which would have lead to that money eventually. But the fact that’s he’s not producing actually bodes well for our chances of landing him... so good thing for the Oilers I guess.

I'd rather keep Nuge tbh. Hall likes to drive the puck himself so he's a poor fit with McDavid although he did have some success with Leon. That said, Nuge just provides stability on both ends of the ice, and is more reliable for what he brings.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If he isn't producing with Eichel why would we want to spend money on him again? We know for certain Nuge fits. I'd rather re-sign him if the monies wind up being close instead of on a guy who isn't producing.

Reactions: TB12 and ujju2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
But boy has it been a miserable start for the Sabres. Eichel and Hall with 3 goals between them so far yikes.

Don't forget Jeff Skinner being healthy scratched two straight games now. He's in the second year of an 8 x$9 million deal. He's on pace to make $2.25 million per point this season.

Is there a record for most total value bought out? :laugh:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Halls worth to us won’t be as much as another team. We already have two superstars who want the puck on their stick, Hall probably won’t be as impactful as he would be for another team. That being said he’s a good player that can be great at times and would definitely help. If he gives us a hometownish discount (I know he’s not from here but word is he liked it here) and wants to come to a team that can actually do some damage and threaten for a cup id be down.

Also heard Friedman said the feeling is Nuge wants to stay. It’ll be hard to fit both guys in, resign Nurse, and also resign Barrie (which I think based on his play deserves an offer). What if Nuge and Hall took equal contracts like before? Say at 7m each for a chance to finish what they started in Edmonton.
Fair points, but we shouldn't forget that the Pens won 2 cups with each of Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel playing on different lines for the majority of the time, it's an unusual format, but it can work.

Former Referee 68 said:
Why the hell would we want to sign Hall? His play has went south in the last few years and would be waste of the Salary cap space we have this summer... spend it on Goaltending first and whatever else we need, Hall is a waste of money
What goaltender do you think will be the solution? I don't see any goalie I'm so confident in that I want to throw a pile of cash at, seems likely we'll be going with another tandem goaltending situation next season and even the "premium" options should be making Koskinen like money.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looking at playoff rentals, I wonder if Marc Staal could make some sense. He was paired with Tony DeAngelo for a lot of last season and came out looking half decent. And despite their struggles in Detroit, his stats aren't horrendous. Wouldn't be a bad option to pair with Bouchard or Bear.

Detroit could retain and I don't see him costing any more than what Mike Green did last season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looking at playoff rentals, I wonder if Marc Staal could make some sense. He was paired with Tony DeAngelo for a lot of last season and came out looking half decent. And despite their struggles in Detroit, his stats aren't horrendous. Wouldn't be a bad option to pair with Bouchard or Bear.

Detroit could retain and I don't see him costing any more than what Mike Green did last season.

Probably impossible to make the cap work for him even at 50% retained.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Probably impossible to make the cap work for him even at 50% retained.
It depends how long Kassian is out for. I don't doubt they have the ability to do some cap limbo to make a couple deadline deals work.

I'd honestly be surprised to see Chiasson and Jones finish the season here.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

I only saw one thing from your original post, and I'm with you: I'd like to see Getzlaf on the Oilers next year. I have a weird feeling he could sign in Edmonton, based on pretty much nothing mind you.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If he isn't producing with Eichel why would we want to spend money on him again? We know for certain Nuge fits. I'd rather re-sign him if the monies wind up being close instead of on a guy who isn't producing.
I think there’s something in the water in Buffalo... and what was in the water in Edmonton seems to be clearing up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Why the hell would we want to sign Hall? His play has went south in the last few years and would be waste of the Salary cap space we have this summer... spend it on Goaltending first and whatever else we need, Hall is a waste of money
Majority of fans can see this. There is a small vocal minority who only still think he should come back.

IMO Hall headed to this offseason is worth no more than Hoffman. I’d offer a cheap 1-2 year deal at around 5M max. Outside of his Hart season and his early Edmonton seasons he’s a 60-65 point player.

I think a top 6 of

Nuge-Mcdavid-Pulju
Hall-Drai-Yamo

would be solid, but not at the expense of getting stuck with any term on Hall

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Fair points, but we shouldn't forget that the Pens won 2 cups with each of Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel playing on different lines for the majority of the time, it's an unusual format, but it can work.

What goaltender do you think will be the solution? I don't see any goalie I'm so confident in that I want to throw a pile of cash at, seems likely we'll be going with another tandem goaltending situation next season and even the "premium" options should be making Koskinen like money.

Was actually just think about Malkin-Crosby-Kessel actually so good point, it’s worked before and they all had considerable cap hits for the time.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Eric Staal would be a good addition at the trade deadline. Maybe Staal for Turris? Or just acquire him for a draft pick.

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Draisiatl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Staal-Kassian
Neal-Khaira-Archibald

Reactions: majormajor

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Don't forget Jeff Skinner being healthy scratched two straight games now. He's in the second year of an 8 x$9 million deal. He's on pace to make $2.25 million per point this season.

Is there a record for most total value bought out? :laugh:
Shockingly, the buyout on that deal isn’t actually that bad. 7M in savings next season, then they have to eat the practically whole 9M in 2022-23 though, then 7.5,7.5,4.5 in savings. Then they have to eat 2.5M ish from 28-33. A long time but better than letting that deal ride for another 7 seasons
Jeff Skinner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
How about Brandon Sutter for 3C? We play the Canucks on trade deadline day so no quarantine would have to happen since he’d already be in the city.

Sutter @50% retained for Chiasson + mid pick

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad