Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
What is wrong with people, dictating what a player is from this point forward based on 15 games on a shitty dysfunctional team when the career results have been pretty stellar on top of that Hall has a completely unsustainable PDO of 91.6 (extremely unlucky), while still putting up a solid CF% of 56.6% at even strength (higher than any player on our team) and CF%rel of 9.3 a.k.a. outperforming his teammates in this respect by a significant margin.

On top of that him performing "badly" still has him with 55 point pace (82 game pro-rata) that still nets you more than $4M on the open market. If Hall wants back I'd easily give him $6M without a second thought.
Nothing says Brilliant gm like suffering through a bunch of shit contacts to free up money and pissing it into the wind on an albatross. lolcic is a better investment.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
But then the problem is that you're paying two 3rd liners $14-$15M+ for how many years? It's a waste of resources to have those two on the 3rd line playing lesser minutes at those prices.

If they sign Hall, they aren't leaving the McDavid line dry so it'll probably be a RNH/McDavid and Hall/Draisaitl pair. There's also a defense, a legit #3C and a #1 goalie to address which I feel are all bigger issues than top 6 winger.

The top 6 is fine, they will almost always outscore opponents. They need to build a 3rd line, upgrade the defense (even just one top 4 upgrade would go a long way) and goaltending. Those are all still weaknesses where this team is average to below average at those positions compared to the rest of the league.

I've said it before. Hall is a luxury add and the Oilers can't afford to use up a chunk of cap space to add a luxury because of the roster holes elsewhere.
The one thing I do wonder about is how much teams are willing to spend next year. For teams with rich owners & in Canadian markets like ours, it's pretty easy to justify spending on free agents (and lucky for us we have a lot of cap space opening up as well).

Not sure how it'll turn out for many of our friends south of the border. I think there may be even more penny pinching than there was this year, just because of how much money owners are reportedly losing and because of the extra year of planning they've had.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Again, good luck convincing any self-respecting point producer to play third line minutes long term. This isn't NHL 20. These are professional hockey players that know their worth.

Dominik Kahun, Tyler Ennis, Josh Archibald, Gaetan Haas, Kyle Turris, Alex Chiasson, Devin Shore....all of these guys are depth signings. Low risk, low salary. So none of them are capable of being overly disappointing. They suck, you waive them.

The problem with our bottom six is that it has consistently been composed of a combination of these players for years. And the mindset has consistently been to continue to do so to continue moving the deck chairs on a top six that doesn't need the help. If that's not running in place, I'm not sure what is.

I'd rather have one Taylor Hall than a Chiasson + Kahun + Turris.

The issue was in the past we could never get higher end players to sign, but with the modern economics of the NHL (cap uncertainty) and having the PP + top end talent we have we are now uniquely positioned to be attractive to players like Barrie and Hall while only offering a 1 year contract.

May as well take advantage of that.

We don't need to run any one combination of lines for any long stretch, if we're in a playoff round or a stretch of a season where we can wear teams down with 3 lines, then at least the coaching staff has that option to use for a stretch.

It's the same thing in the NBA, once you have a very attractive core, you get recent All-Star tier-ish players looking to come join on one year deals (ie: Cousins signing on a loaded Golden State team for a year).

Reactions: LTIR

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd rather have one Taylor Hall than a Chiasson + Kahun + Turris.

The issue was in the past we could never get higher end players to sign, but with the modern economics of the NHL (cap uncertainty) and having the PP + top end talent we have we are now uniquely positioned to be attractive to players like Barrie and Hall while only offering a 1 year contract.

May as well take advantage of that.

We don't need to run any one combination of lines for any long stretch, if we're in a playoff round or a stretch of a season where we can wear teams down with 3 lines, then at least the coaching staff has that option to use for a stretch.

It's the same thing in the NBA, once you have a very attractive core, you get recent All-Star tier-ish players looking to come join on one year deals (ie: Cousins signing on a loaded Golden State team for a year).
You're completely ignoring my point. Those three players are depth signings. They were made due to a lack of ability to address these roles directly. Either by a lack of reliable options or a lack of available cap.

I'm not worried about Draisaitl's wing. He can make it work with any option. The third line never works.

And please don't bring in any NBA references. The NHL is absolutely nothing like it. NBA teams buy titles. The Stanley Cup is exceptionally harder to win.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Leafs fans also said Barrie was finished. Playing with Connor and Leon changes that awfully fast.

Let those two worry about getting Taylor looks, he just has to tap them in.

RNH McDavid Pulju
Hall Draisaitl Yamamoto

Works for me if he wants to do the Tyson Barrie 1 year thing.

That could be the lines to finish off the game when the bench needs shortening..... but also split it up into 3 pairs to improve the team depth

???-McDavid-Pulj
Hall-Drai-???
????-RNH-Yamo

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're completely ignoring my point. Those three players are depth signings. They were made due to a lack of ability to address these roles directly. Either by a lack of reliable options or a lack of available cap.

I'm not worried about Draisaitl's wing. He can make it work with any option. The third line never works.

And please don't bring in any NBA references. The NHL is absolutely nothing like it. NBA teams buy titles. The Stanley Cup is exceptionally harder to win.

The NHL is becoming more like the NBA in cap usage, teams are getting more savvy and good players are starting to see big term contracts are not unlimited. The NBA has simply had a cap for a lot longer than the NHL which has allowed things to develop differently.

25 points on Leon's LW isn't good enough. That is a team weakness even if Leon can mop up on PP points, it's a waste of his talent to have him play that much 5-on-5 and have that little to show for it.

The Oilers leave way too much on the table, it's partly why Toronto is probably better than us at this stage, we don't get enough from our 2nd line wingers 5 on 5 right now, even RNH was sucking gas at 5 on 5 with McDavid for far too long.

We should be cruising to victory a lot easier, we make things a lot harder on too many nights than they have to be.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH (6.8) McDavid (12.5) Puljujarvi (1.17)
Hall (6) Draisaitl (8.5) Yamamoto (4.25)
Neal (5.75) Khaira (1.4) Archibald (1.5)
Benson (1) Haas (1.1) Holloway (0.9)
blank (0.7)

Nurse (5.6) Bear (2)
BLANK (5) Bouchard (0.9)
Lagesson (0.7) Jones (0.85)
blank (1)

Kuemper (4.5)
Koskinen (4.5)

Sekera 1.5
Lucic 0.75

= 79 million or so.

I've allocated 5 million to a D, if Barrie wants to sign for term at that range, have at it. Traded a pick + Kass contract for Darcy Kuemper. Klefbom to Seattle.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Drai has 4 ES goals this season.
One was in OT assisted by McDavid.
One assisted by Yama, once Kahun and last one by Ennis.
He has 30pts this season so yes he is making it work. He just isnt clicking with his linemates at ES and could do so much more with better ones.

The last time Drai had a primary assist at ES was back in January in the game vs OTT where he had 6 assists.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We should be worried about Draisaitl’s wing. He can’t have smurfs on both wings. I think our priorities for next year should be a starting goalie, 3C and a power forward LW. It gives you the option to reunite the DRY line or put the PF with Draisaitl to give his line some size and help along the boards.

All I want for the 3C is a player that can put up around 30 points and is excellent defensively.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The NBA is a sport where one player has an overwhelming influence on a team's ability to win games. One player.

To win an NHL championship, a team needs an overwhelming number of things to go right for them. Four lines at even strength, solid defense, solid goaltending, effective special teams. Depth in case of injuries.

The NHL will never be like the NBA when it comes to roster creation. Top heavy offenses don't have the depth to sustain 82-game seasons combined with long playoff runs. They need effective checkers, they need solid defense. No teams 'cruise to victory' in this league. It's a really bad plan that dates all the way back to the OBC era. It's why those teams always failed.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Good luck convincing those guys to take those minutes long-term watching their point totals diminish along with their ice time.

I guess it's a question of if they want to win scoring titles or Stanley Cups.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The NBA is a sport where one player has an overwhelming influence on a team's ability to win games. One player.

To win an NHL championship, a team needs an overwhelming number of things to go right for them. Four lines at even strength, solid defense, solid goaltending, effective special teams. Depth in case of injuries.

The NHL will never be like the NBA when it comes to roster creation. Top heavy offenses don't have the depth to sustain 82-game seasons combined with long playoff runs. They need effective checkers, they need solid defense. No teams 'cruise to victory' in this league. It's a really bad plan that dates all the way back to the OBC era. It's why those teams always failed.
I dont think that was the point when NBA comparison was made.
Free agents pull towards contenders. If a McD and Drai led team goes deep these playoffs and McD has good rep with pending free agents the Oilers could pull some here.
Players didnt mind playing for Avs , PIT or Det when they were contenders. All it takes is a deep run and some superstars to get noticed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Free agents pull towards contenders. If a McD and Drai led team goes deep these playoffs and McD has good rep with pending free agents the Oilers could pull some here.
Players didnt mind playing for Avs , PIT or Det when they were contenders. All it takes is a deep run and some superstars to get noticed.

Yes that and in the COVID world a lot of guys who were locks to get big money long term deals (Barrie is an example we're all seeing straight up) aren't able to find it and coming to Edmonton to pump up their numbers is something their agent likely will tell their client is not a bad play.

Especially since Barrie has pretty much proven he made a smart call in doing just that. Other UFAs and their agents will notice that.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yes that and in the COVID world a lot of guys who were locks to get big money long term deals (Barrie is an example we're all seeing straight up) aren't able to find it and coming to Edmonton to pump up their numbers is something their agent likely will tell their client is not a bad play.

Especially since Barrie has pretty much proven he made a smart call in doing just that. Other UFAs and their agents will notice that.
Ovechkin is going to join next season to pump up his numbers. ;)

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Nothing says Brilliant gm like suffering through a bunch of shit contacts to free up money and pissing it into the wind on an albatross. lolcic is a better investment.
Hall has outproduced Lucic in points per game over the past 3 seasons by 313%!!!

The fact you would even draw that comparison is terribly embarrassing.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
But then the problem is that you're paying two 3rd liners $14-$15M+ for how many years? It's a waste of resources to have those two on the 3rd line playing lesser minutes at those prices.

If they sign Hall, they aren't leaving the McDavid line dry so it'll probably be a RNH/McDavid and Hall/Draisaitl pair. There's also a defense, a legit #3C and a #1 goalie to address which I feel are all bigger issues than top 6 winger.

The top 6 is fine, they will almost always outscore opponents. They need to build a 3rd line, upgrade the defense (even just one top 4 upgrade would go a long way) and goaltending. Those are all still weaknesses where this team is average to below average at those positions compared to the rest of the league.

I've said it before. Hall is a luxury add and the Oilers can't afford to use up a chunk of cap space to add a luxury because of the roster holes elsewhere.

I think people get too bogged down into who plays with who and miss the big picture. Adding more good players isn't a "luxury" it's how you build a winning team. it gives you flexibility to try different combos instead being married to one look or another even when it's not working. Hell, it's not like there's not precedent for a scoring winger being asked to drive a line behind two elite Cs, it's how the Pens won back to back Cups in '16 and '17.

Obviously there are other needs, but if the dollars can work and the player is willing, why the hell wouldn't you do it?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Drai has 4 ES goals this season.
One was in OT assisted by McDavid.
One assisted by Yama, once Kahun and last one by Ennis.
He has 30pts this season so yes he is making it work. He just isnt clicking with his linemates at ES and could do so much more with better ones.

The last time Drai had a primary assist at ES was back in January in the game vs OTT where he had 6 assists.
I don't think Taylor Hall and his 0 ES goals is the answer then

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is the point though. It doesn't take much for a team in the NBA to be a 'contender'. One player. In the NHL, there are an overwhelming number of factors that go into making a team a 'contender'. Continuing to dick around with McDavid and Draisaitl's linemates despite the fact that they have absolutely no problem outscoring at EV isn't turning that team into a contender if they're unable to address their glaring weaknesses.

I'm not even sure what he's going on about when it comes to being an 'attractive' destination or how Hall ties into it. UFA is a horrendous way of addressing your roster. It's a horrible place to commit long-term salary. And Hall was this year's marquee FA who said he wanted to sign with a 'winner'. He signed in Buffalo.

My point is incredibly simple. Top six outscores, bottom six gives back. Fix bottom six.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Taylor Hall and his 0 ES goals is the answer then

Leon will get him the puck, Hall doesn't have to worry about that. We have the guys who set the table like no one else in the league, you just have to have a baseline skill level to capitalize.

Kahun is an OK player, but he just doesn't have the speed to play with Leon. Leon does his best work with faster players because he puck skill demands players faster than him to work.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
All things being equal, if we could start next season with one of Hopkins, Hall or Landeskog, who are we picking?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I dunno about you all, but I'm hoping Holland can add Getzlaf and a decent Defenseman before the deadline. I personally feel Getzlaf can be our 3rd line center with Ennis and Kassian/Neal. It would definitely help us with matchups with teams like Toronto and Montreal. A goalie would be nice, but if there is none available, I'd rather wait until Summer. Then sign Getzlaf to a 2 year contract at around 3M in the summer and build from there.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

The only time you can argue that a team bought a title (at least in my memory) is the Messier led Rags, but even then it could have gone sideways. It's literally impossible to do so in the cap world, or else NYR and the Leafs would attempt to do so.

Feb 9, 2013
I cannot wait for Hall to sign a long term contract with a team that isn't the Oilers, then all this Hall nonsense can stop.

I would welcome Getzlaf to this team with open arms. He would be a pure rental, but so what. Depth down the middle of McDavid, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Haas (?) would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->