Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
RNH (6.8) McDavid (12.5) Puljujarvi (1.17)
Hall (6) Draisaitl (8.5) Yamamoto (4.25)
Neal (5.75) Khaira (1.4) Archibald (1.5)
Benson (1) Haas (1.1) Holloway (0.9)
blank (0.7)

Nurse (5.6) Bear (2)
BLANK (5) Bouchard (0.9)
Lagesson (0.7) Jones (0.85)
blank (1)

Kuemper (4.5)
Koskinen (4.5)

Sekera 1.5
Lucic 0.75

= 79 million or so.

I've allocated 5 million to a D, if Barrie wants to sign for term at that range, have at it. Traded a pick + Kass contract for Darcy Kuemper. Klefbom to Seattle.

We're not getting Hall for 6, nor should we try considering future contracts for JP, Bouchard, Bear, etc. Also, Nurse will be above 6 million on his next contract for sure.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only time you can argue that a team bought a title (at least in my memory) is the Messier led Rags, but even then it could have gone sideways. It's literally impossible to do so in the cap world, or else NYR and the Leafs would attempt to do so.
Exactly. Show me a Cup winning team that couldn't run four lines up front. When we went to the finals our checking lines were all-world. That hasn't changed. You need all twelve forwards to contribute.

Even quality of defensemen is highly overrated in this league when Tampa Bay can pull out a championship regularly icing guys like Shattenkirk, Schenn and Bogosian.

The bottom six should be consistently good. And you'd think that it would be the easiest line to address if you had the resources to address it. But for some reason the mindset here is always on adding elite talent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We're not getting Hall for 6, nor should we try considering future contracts for JP, Bouchard, Bear, etc. Also, Nurse will be above 6 million for sure imo.

We shouldn't have gotten Barrie for 3.75 either.

If Hall is signing that deal it's the same situation -- he's coming here because he wants to cash in on PP + Draisaitl time and then try to revisit the market in the following off-season.

1 year deal 6 million.

Nurse or Bouchard's future contract does not factor into next season.

We have a powerful bargaining chip now that is very attractive to players on a 1-year deal ... our PP + top end talent is so good that it's a smart business move to come here on a 1 year. Tyson Barrie is very happy he took "less" to sign here because it likely means he will earn more now in the long term.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We shouldn't have gotten Barrie for 3.75 either.

If Hall is signing that deal it's the same situation -- he's coming here because he wants to cash in on PP + Draisaitl time and then try to revisit the market in the following off-season.

1 year deal 6 million.

Nurse or Bouchard's future contract does not factor into next season.

But Hall is coming off of a 1-year deal at 8 million, I doubt he'll take another 1-year deal, especially at a lower price.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But Hall is coming off of a 1-year deal at 8 million, I doubt he'll take another 1-year deal, especially at a lower price.

Well what market is there even going to be if he has a mediocre/so so year?

Does he want to sign long term at lower dollars?

I think even his agent will tell him, Edmonton for one year is a smart business play if nothing else. He'll only be 30 years old and can then cash in on a better long term deal. You can see clear as day it's working for Barrie.

I don't think he's gonna get $8 mill per with term this summer.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I would love to have Hall if he came at 6.5 or less for 5 or less years. Anymore than that and he can look elsewhere.

Yeah, 4-5 years at $6-$6.5m seems like a good deal for both sides if Hall wants to come back. He doesn't get to really "cash in", but Covid made that unlikely to happen anyway. I don't think any team that he'd want to play for can give him $8m x 7. He gets a decent term, rides shotgun with Draisaitl and still making equal or better AAV than he made on his $6m x 7 contract while playing for a team on the upswing.

This might mean the end of RNH here though, which truthfully I am ok with. We could afford them both next season, but probably not after that with Bouchard, JP, Yamamoto and others needing RFA contracts in 2022-23 and 2023-24.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I cannot wait for Hall to sign a long term contract with a team that isn't the Oilers, then all this Hall nonsense can stop.

I would welcome Getzlaf to this team with open arms. He would be a pure rental, but so what. Depth down the middle of McDavid, Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Haas (?) would be awesome.

Fassa

Faksa

Reactions: belair

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We also currently have the league's strongest offense despite an underscoring PP and a 'struggling' Draisaitl.

The obvious issue with this current roster isn't its inability to produce goals. They give them up at an alarming rate. Taylor Hall, Rickard Rakell or Filip Forsberg don't help you in that regard. They sure do cost a lot though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We also currently have the league's strongest offense despite an underscoring PP and a 'struggling' Draisaitl.

The obvious issue with this current roster isn't its inability to produce goals. They give them up at an alarming rate. Taylor Hall, Rickard Rakell or Filip Forsberg don't help you in that regard. They sure do cost a lot though.

A guy like Rakell would. He's a really good two-way guy and he'd be knocking Kahun down who has some of the worst defensive metrics on the team.

That line needs some help defensively. They've got the worst defensive metrics on the team, but they've been bailed out by .960 goaltending.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I was thinking about maybe extending Adam Larsson on a one-year deal as a good attempt to keep him for his 29 year old season but then Staples said how about 3 years? My answer is a firm no.

A Darnell Nurse extension overpay is starting to become a "screwed if you do, screwed if you don't" type of thing.

Larssons never gonna take a 1 year deal I dont think, especially with the way he is currently playing. I still think hes the type of player that teams will pay for. I think his next contract is more than Oilers fan will want to give him.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Faksa, Lowry, Copp, Barbashev, Zacha, Goodrow...

I'm all for fixing the bottom 6. But with the exception of Goodrow (who cost Tampa a 1st rounder to acquire) those are all guys who were drafted and developed by their current teams. And all contribute on affordable contracts. Other than a time machine to fix our drafting and development how to you propose the Oilers add guys like that right now?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm all for fixing the bottom 6. But with the exception of Goodrow (who cost Tampa a 1st rounder to acquire) those are all guys who were drafted and developed by their current teams. And all contribute on affordable contracts. Other than a time machine to fix our drafting and development how to you propose the Oilers add guys like that right now?
Lowry and Goodrow will be UFA options in the summer. Likely more expensive options. Barbashev, Faksa and Copp are less likely to be available as RFAs on competitive rosters. Zacha is somewhat attainable in-season and under team control for a while.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
All things being equal, if we could start next season with one of Hopkins, Hall or Landeskog, who are we picking?
An interesting question each has their own merits, Landeskog is the most consistently solid in his specific role and has leadership attributes, but his numbers away from MacKinnon look very unimpressive.

RNH is the most versatile option he wears the most hats and can fill the most roles and we know how he fits with this group so there is no chemistry issue questions.

Hall is the riskier option who hasn't always had a positive effect on the lockerroom dynamic and while he's improved defensively in recent years, he's less committed to the defensive side of the puck than either of the other two players, but he is clearly the highest upside option with raw talent that transcends the others and he is far more capable of carrying lesser talents than the other 2 who are more complementary talents to superstars.

I'd take Landeskog if I felt there was something rotten about our leadership core. I'd take RNH if I felt it was really uncertain we could properly fix our 3rd line and/or our center quality after the big 2 was extremely weak. I would take Hall if I felt we could improve our 3rd line to a good enough level that I felt RNH's Pk role was largely taken care of and in the event of an injury to our big 2 we had atleast a semi-decent fill-in at center (i.e. a 30 point player who could likely get 40 points if elevated up a line).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Landeskog will want term so that's a no go.

Hall may be in a Barrie type situation next summer and amenable to a 1 year deal, so that's a big, big difference.

The Oilers may actually be able to cash in on the "star player coming off a down year looking for a ticket on our PP" thing for several more years to come, so why not play that card if we can.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lowry and Goodrow will be UFA options in the summer. Likely more expensive options. Barbashev, Faksa and Copp are less likely to be available as RFAs on competitive rosters. Zacha is somewhat attainable in-season and under team control for a while.
Would love to add Lowry somehow.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The trade deadline is going to be very unusual this year. For Canadian teams the date is honestly probably too late. Any additions are going to need to be made well before then so you actually get some games out of the players.

In a normal year we'd get about 20 games out of a player we add at the deadline. This year the Oilers have 12 games from the deadline to the end of the season.

But if you factor in the 2 week quarantine that any player we acquire from out of country would require than all of a sudden that 12 games becomes 6 at most.

So when do Canadian teams start to pull the trigger if they are looking to make additions. Or is this a year where you just let what you have ride.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
RNH (6.8) McDavid (12.5) Puljujarvi (1.17)
Hall (6) Draisaitl (8.5) Yamamoto (4.25)
Neal (5.75) Khaira (1.4) Archibald (1.5)
Benson (1) Haas (1.1) Holloway (0.9)
blank (0.7)

Nurse (5.6) Bear (2)
BLANK (5) Bouchard (0.9)
Lagesson (0.7) Jones (0.85)
blank (1)

Kuemper (4.5)
Koskinen (4.5)

Sekera 1.5
Lucic 0.75

= 79 million or so.

I've allocated 5 million to a D, if Barrie wants to sign for term at that range, have at it. Traded a pick + Kass contract for Darcy Kuemper. Klefbom to Seattle.

I like the fact he have no buy outs however I do not think that 3rd line provides enough help for a deep playoff run

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Faksa, Lowry, Copp, Barbashev, Zacha, Goodrow...

Trade Lavoie and Jones for Gallagher
Faksa somehow

next year
RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi\
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Kahun-Faksa-Gallagher
Khaira-Haas-Arcibald

Nurse-Barrie
Samorukov-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson

Price
Montoya

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Faksa somehow

next year
RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi\
Kahun-Faksa-Gallagher
Khaira-Haas-Arcibald

Nurse-Barrie
Samorukov-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson

Price
Montoya
What is this price and Montoya bullshit?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Faksa somehow

next year
RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi\
Kahun-Faksa-Gallagher
Khaira-Haas-Arcibald

Nurse-Barrie
Samorukov-Bouchard
Lagesson-Larsson

Price
Montoya
I'm pretty sure Gallagher is something like first in the league for shot attempts. He's an absolute shot creation monster. I don't think Montreal is giving him up anytime soon.

I'm also not 100% that Faksa is in anyway attainable. But he's definitely the type of forward Edmonton should be prioritizing instead of wasting assets swinging at the big fishies in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad