Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Regardless of where you fall on the RNH debate, I think a simple reality remains while there are a decent number of upcoming UFA forwards who are better than him at 5 on 5, and a couple who are better on the PP, and a small handful who are better on the PK (though PK strength is often a bit subjective) there is not a single UFA forward who is better than him in all 3 respects.

Nothing wrong with prioritizing certain attributes higher than others or preferring someone who more strongly specializes in a certain area or aspect of the game, but to properly replace him we'll likely need 2 additions to the club.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
ImmuneEH said:
This upcoming off-season feels like the most pivotal off-season since 2015, in that we have a lot of opportunity to steer the ship in a crucial direction.

Things to watch out for:
  • Does James Neal get bought out?
  • Which defensemen does Holland protect in the expansion draft?
  • Do Khaira &or Chiasson get extensions?
  • How is Nuge's contract situation handled?
  • We have an abundance of defenseman. Who does Holland move forward with? Will he target Dougie Hamilton? Will he trade one of Larsson/Barrie at the deadline?
  • How will Holland add depth to our line-up? Will he sign a middle-6 LW and a better 3C?
  • Will we get Holloway signed and playing in the AHL at the end of the NCAA season?
  • Will Holland acquire a starting goaltender? (The expansion draft may create some interesting opportunities on this front).
Personally, I feel that goaltending and 3C are the greatest areas of concern atm. Holloway might be a 3rd line option next year but I know the more conservative folks around here won't like the sound of that.

Nuge/McDavid/JP
FA Signing/Drai/Yams
Kahun/FA Signing/Kassian
Ennis/Haas/Archibald

I don't mind Kahun as a middle-6 option, not necessarily a staple in the top 6. That's why I propose signing a middle-6 LW. Also, sign a legit 3C... there will be lots this off-season.

We have internal options such as Benson, McLeod, and Marody who could push for bottom-6 time.
This is a good post, feel like it merited being carried over to the new thread.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Smart guy wrote ....... Debrusk is far from the player RNH is. RNH fills a need and is wanted by Mcdavid. I would be shocked if he isn’t re-signed.

I could swallow a 7 on the dollar side, would be tougher on the term. I will be surprised to see the dollars not in the 7M range. Holland won’t let him walk considering he’s been a lifetime Oiler, despite Holland not being here for his tenure he has a history of paying loyal veterans. He’s a big part of the PP, and he’s probably going to be stapled to Mcdavid.

You just have to hope they don’t go full Jeff Skinner and pay him to a franchise crippling contract and he gives up.

The thing is too, who replaces him? No Hall is not the answer, Debrusk is a serious downgrade. There just isn’t a cheaper or better option right now.

Hey I agree RNH is a better and more rounded player right now as he can play both center and wing plus PK. But Debrusk is younger, has scored about as well (without McDavid and Drai) and has superior on-ice numbers. What if the other $3 million dollars you save on Debrusk gets you Adam Lowrey (or another very good 3C)? Does that change the equation?

For me I think Debrusk + Lowrey > RNH. That's the way you have to think in a cap league. Of course that assumes you can get Debrusk for RNH and then can sign Lowrey as a UFA this summer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
James Neal traded @ 50% retained for two years ($2.875M/season) or bought out ($1.917M for four years)?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
James Neal traded @ 50% retained for two years ($2.875M/season) or bought out ($1.917M for four years)?

I would be shocked if anyone took him on and Holland isn't a very creative trader. He's very close to done.

I'd just buy him out and take the space.

If we don't buy him out, I actually think the Flames win the deal due to the 3rd rounder and Lucic playing alright. The biggest win of the deal for me was our ability to buy out Neal and the Flames inability to buy out Lucic.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We will free up 3M if we buy him out but is there a better player we can find for 3M in free agency? Might be better to trade him to Seattle for a pick and prospect.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What UFA's are you guys wanting over RNH?

There no black and white answer . It depends on price point . RNH is not a 7 million player . He is not a master of anything . McDavid would have an extra 5 to 10 points with a winger that could wire the puck . I think Holloway could replace RNH now and be better defensively . He also would bring energy and pump everyone else up on the team .

UFA McDavid Puljujarvi
UFA Driasaitl Yamamoto
Kahun McLead/UFA Archibald
Innis Khaira Russell possib

Trade RNH at the trade deadline
Buy Neal out
K Russell traded or Seattle

Re-sign Nurse to 8X7
Barrie 3x5 if he doesn't take it in a flat cap move on
Next up offer Larsson 2.5 X 3 if he doesn't take it move on

Nurse Bouchard
Klefbom/ UFA Barrie/Larsson Give the softer matches to to save Klefbom . It's not likely he returns .
Samorukov Bear
Lagesson

I think this gives us lots of cap to really upgrade 2 top 6 LWers , A goalie and defensive in Klefbom absent . .
I left Holloway out incase he isn't ready

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holloway has a long ways to go to be on RNHs level
What is RNH's level?
His biggest selling point is his stamina. He is one of the few ones who can match McDavid's TOI without burning out.
Holloway could come in as soon as next season and be an effective bottom 6 winger.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What is RNH's level?
His biggest selling point is his stamina. He is one of the few ones who can match McDavid's TOI without burning out.
Holloway could come in as soon as next season and be an effective bottom 6 winger.
RNH is quite a few steps up on bottom 6 winger. This isn’t an easy league for young players, just look at what lafreniere is doing

Reactions: Darkwinter and LTIR

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There no black and white answer . It depends on price point . RNH is not a 7 million player . He is not a master of anything . McDavid would have an extra 5 to 10 points with a winger that could wire the puck . I think Holloway could replace RNH now and be better defensively . He also would bring energy and pump everyone else up on the team .

UFA McDavid Puljujarvi
UFA Driasaitl Yamamoto
Kahun McLead/UFA Archibald
Innis Khaira Russell possib

Trade RNH at the trade deadline
Buy Neal out
K Russell traded or Seattle

Re-sign Nurse to 8X7
Barrie 3x5 if he doesn't take it in a flat cap move on
Next up offer Larsson 2.5 X 3 if he doesn't take it move on

Nurse Bouchard
Klefbom/ UFA Barrie/Larsson Give the softer matches to to save Klefbom . It's not likely he returns .
Samorukov Bear
Lagesson

I think this gives us lots of cap to really upgrade 2 top 6 LWers , A goalie and defensive in Klefbom absent . .
I left Holloway out incase he isn't ready
I would put bear with klefbom. Their analytics in their short time together are pretty strong. But so we’re nurse and bear this season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I'd buy him out unless there's a way that Nashville wants him at 50%.

If we buy out Neal and Koskinen next season we would save $6.833 million and $2.333 million the following season (we'd have a loss of $1.5 million from Koskinen since his contract would've expired). Then we'd basically have $1.917 million of dead cap for 2 seasons.

Reactions: Deplorable Lenny

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
RNH is quite a few steps up on bottom 6 winger. This isn’t an easy league for young players, just look at what lafreniere is doing
Unlike Laf and Hughes, Holloway doesnt have to produce offensively. His game is simpler and translates to NHL bottom 6 role much more easily.

He just needs to be an Archibald type player for the first little while. His game suits a bottom 6 role better than guys like Haas, Nygard and Kahun.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Unlike Laf and Hughes, Holloway doesnt have to produce offensively. His game is simpler and translates to NHL bottom 6 role much more easily.

He just needs to be an Archibald type player for the first little while. His game suits a bottom 6 role better than guys like Haas, Nygard and Kahun.

If he flanks Connor as a Nuge replacement he absolutely needs to produce offensively unless Jesse becomes a player between the levels of RNH and Draisaitl.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There really arent many UFAs this offseason that are worth throwing money on.

If we go deep in playoffs this season we can try to sell Edm to Ovechkin.
McDrai might be able to get him past 900 career goals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If he flanks Connor as a Nuge replacement he absolutely needs to produce offensively unless Jesse becomes a player between the levels of RNH and Draisaitl.
In 2 seasons if he could play 20mins+ at NHL level then matching Nuge offensively would not be too difficult.

If Kassian can do it....

Also, i cant recall the last time Mcdavid-Nuge directly connected at ES for a goal. Can you?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In 2 seasons if he could play 20mins+ at NHL level then matching Nuge offensively would not be too difficult.

If Kassian can do it....

Also, i cant recall the last time Mcdavid-Nuge directly connected at ES for a goal. Can you?

Sure thing, just like Kahun should fit in great on Drai's wing. The reality is that it's not as easy as to produce with Connor as many think that it is. If Holloway steps in and shows the ability then that's great, expecting him to be super productive early is asking a lot out of a raw rookie.

Does it matter as long as the line is getting results? Lines can go through slumps as a whole. Lately they are playing well and the points should be coming for all 3 of them.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Smart guy wrote ....... Debrusk is far from the player RNH is. RNH fills a need and is wanted by Mcdavid. I would be shocked if he isn’t re-signed.

I could swallow a 7 on the dollar side, would be tougher on the term. I will be surprised to see the dollars not in the 7M range. Holland won’t let him walk considering he’s been a lifetime Oiler, despite Holland not being here for his tenure he has a history of paying loyal veterans. He’s a big part of the PP, and he’s probably going to be stapled to Mcdavid.

You just have to hope they don’t go full Jeff Skinner and pay him to a franchise crippling contract and he gives up.

The thing is too, who replaces him? No Hall is not the answer, Debrusk is a serious downgrade. There just isn’t a cheaper or better option right now.

Hey I agree RNH is a better and more rounded player right now as he can play both center and wing plus PK. But Debrusk is younger, has scored about as well (without McDavid and Drai) and has superior on-ice numbers. What if the other $3 million dollars you save on Debrusk gets you Adam Lowrey (or another very good 3C)? Does that change the equation?

For me I think Debrusk + Lowrey > RNH. That's the way you have to think in a cap league. Of course that assumes you can get Debrusk for RNH and then can sign Lowrey as a UFA this summer.

Lowry has a career high of 29 points, I know he’s having a good season but keep that in mind. Debrusk has a career high of 43. Those 2 combined can barely out score RNH his last few seasons so I don’t get where you see Debrusk scoring similar to RNH? I’d be curious to see what superior “on ice numbers” you are referring too?

Is anyone tired of turnover yet also? RNH has chemistry with Mcdavid and Draisaitl, especially on the PP.

Not to say that if a reasonable contract deal can’t be found you have to entertain offers. I was in here advocating a month ago for a swap for Danault if it got to where he won’t be re-signed, pending UFA for pending UFA, but that’s moving a top player for another top player to address a need, more defensive minded FWD. Trading him for a couple still relatively unproven players when they should be winning now, makes little sense IMO.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Sure about that? Yamamoto has almost passed him, if not already, and RNH will start his decline in the next few years.
Are you really advocating for a player who hasn’t played an NHL game yet, not to mention not a single pro game yet, Over a player playing his third straight season at over a 65 point pace?
I honestly haven’t watched much of his NCAA game this year, but I’m assuming you have then? Is he really that close? The NCAA to the NHL is a big jump

Has the last decade taught you nothing about prospects and rushing them into spots they aren’t ready for here? Also you do realize it took Yamamoto his draft +3 seasons to be an NHL player?

Reactions: TB12 and McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad