Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Goaltending Upgrade(s) In Season or Off Season?

Will Holland Add a #1 Goalie...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If the Oilers are giving up their first, I'd like to see them try for Ekholm, who is signed through next year as well. He'd make the D legitimately playoff caliber.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Forsberg at $6M/season for the next 1.5 seasons? I'd rather pursue Rakell who has the same term left on his contract at $3.8M/season.

Forsberg is a much better player but would also be much more expensive to acquire so I agree in that sense.

I just don't think Anaheim would trade him within the division though. Somebody is going to get a real good buy low deal for him though, probably Carolina because they live to C block the Oilers.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Man, I loved Hall when he was an Oiler and he had a couple great years in New Jersey. But this one year 8 mil deal in Buffalo could end up costing him a lot of money long term. I guess we don't really know what sort of offers were on the table for him. Maybe he took the most money. But boy has it been a miserable start for the Sabres. Eichel and Hall with 3 goals between them so far yikes. Wonder what kind of a deal he's getting if this type of year continues.

He just wanted to bank some money before coming back to play in Edmonton for a million bucks a year.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Well if you made 200k a year you wouldn't want to make 225k a year?

Not necessarily........I would easily "turn down" a $25k raise if the people or job was not a good fit.

I actually get a feeling that Hall will resign in Edmonton on a 1-3 year cheap deal.....he just wants to win and he loves Edmonton and would be welcomed back by the fans like a hero!

That said, signing Hall would be low on my list of priorities as Oilers GM this summer. If the stars align like a Barrie contract this year then sign me up. If Hall wants a long term deal with $$$ then have a nice life!

Reactions: Oildrum

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fair enough, although it sounds like your board did a 180 on him compared to what you were saying about him during the play-ins.

I can't speak for anybody else but most of the entire team has sucked for large portions of the last three seasons. Forsberg still had 3-2-5 in those four games, if anything it was our goaltending that did us in.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
From Friedman's 31 thoughts.

Yeah I read that as well, and was thinking that a shorter deal might be in the best interest of both parties. Give RNH 2 years at a fair price. That contract would finish when he was 30, and he could still get a 4-6 year deal pretty easily at that point. In 2 years from now, going into the 2023-24 season, the cap is expected to rise quite a bit (as much as 10-12%, depending on the TV contract). So he could sign for 2 years at $6.5, or something like that, and then sign wherever in another 2 years. I think you see a lot of UFAs signing shorter deals like this again this year, as they did last year.

People talking about Hall in here as well, and I could see a very similar scenario playing out for Hall. Probably not with the Oilers, as we have other needs to fill (tending and defence), but I coul dsee Hall signing another 1 or 2 year deal with a contender. He seemed to have cornered himself into Buffalo this year and didn't have another choice. Him and his agent should have a better idea this off-season, and more teams should have cap room you would think as well due to expiring contracts across the league.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall might be in the market for a Tyson Barrie type deal .... offer him a 1 year contract with understanding he gets to play with Connor or Leon and with both on the PP.

He uses the year to pump his numbers up.

He wants to come back here anyway that's pretty well known.

Reactions: onetweasy

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I've never been on the "bring Hall home" bandwagon. But I do se any opportunity here with lots of cap space coming off and a need at 2LD. If the core (McDavid, Drai, RNH, Nurse) wants to do it, and RNH will make a bit of room, there should be space. Interesting to think about going forward.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers need to address the third line. Forsberg, Rakell, Hall... what do they all have in common? They're expensive acquisitions and scoring line wingers that address a part of the roster that doesn't need to be addressed.

We already outscore in the top six. Finding consistency in the bottom six is how this team becomes an offensive power at 5v5.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hall might be in the market for a Tyson Barrie type deal .... offer him a 1 year contract with understanding he gets to play with Connor or Leon and with both on the PP.

Just wondering, is there any real source for this?

I'd love for Hall to come back, but all I've ever heard is "I heard that Hall's uncle said that Hall wants to come back to Edmonton", or some variation of that.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Yeah I read that as well, and was thinking that a shorter deal might be in the best interest of both parties. Give RNH 2 years at a fair price. That contract would finish when he was 30, and he could still get a 4-6 year deal pretty easily at that point. In 2 years from now, going into the 2023-24 season, the cap is expected to rise quite a bit (as much as 10-12%, depending on the TV contract). So he could sign for 2 years at $6.5, or something like that, and then sign wherever in another 2 years. I think you see a lot of UFAs signing shorter deals like this again this year, as they did last year.

I don't know if I would take that deal if I was RNH. If Oilers offer him 2x6.5 and someone else offers him 6years @ 6.5 million he is gone. That's an extra 26 million in guaranteed money. I'd take the guarantee rather than betting on a TV contract and the risk of an injury or regressing at all and devaluing myself.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Oilers need to address the third line. Forsberg, Rakell, Hall... what do they all have in common? They're expensive acquisitions and scoring line wingers that address a part of the roster that doesn't need to be addressed.

We already outscore in the top six. Finding consistency in the bottom six is how this team becomes an offensive power at 5v5.

This is true, but this can be achieved by adding to the top six. Adding a top-six forward (or two) can have a cascading effect, where better players are pushed onto lower lines, making those lines relatively better.

Adding a player like Hall (for the sake of argument) might be the difference between Kassian or Ennis having regular spots in the top 6 and them playing regular bottom 6 minutes.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't know if I would take that deal if I was RNH. If Oilers offer him 2x6.5 and someone else offers him 6years @ 6.5 million he is gone. That's an extra 26 million in guaranteed money. I'd take the guarantee rather than betting on a TV contract and the risk of an injury or regressing at all and devaluing myself.

Yeah, this is the NHL and it's pretty ingrained in the culture to go for security over betting on yourself as a UFA, even if it means locking in at a lower cap hit.

NBA guys are willing to do shorter deals, but that's just such a different world.

Reactions: Oildrum

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
On trading the 2021 1st round pick

I've been a fan of the Oilers since I started following hockey in 2015. Every year there's been a sentiment of "trade the 1st" to accelerate the process of being a competitive team.

This is the first season where I actually think this is the year to do it. I'd try to identify I strong young goalie who projects as a future starter OR a pending RFA who hasn't been given enough opportunity with their current team. Sorokin is playing behind Varlamov, have to think that's a guy the Islander's lose in the expansion draft.

Also looking at how Burakovsky and Roslovic thrived with their new times while hopefully avoiding another Athanasiou situation.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

Hall took his year deal in buffalo to show the world. The only thing getting pumped is his reputation as a key piece to winning the draft lotto. after the blazing start he's already in extension talks . They'd be wise to sign fir 3 more years. That's 2 first overall pick wins and some residual value for the next team that needs some help achieving success at the podium.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is true, but this can be achieved by adding to the top six. Adding a top-six forward (or two) can have a cascading effect, where better players are pushed onto lower lines, making those lines relatively better.

Adding a player like Hall (for the sake of argument) might be the difference between Kassian or Ennis having a regular spot in the top 6 and them playing regular bottom 6 minutes.
This didn't work when Kassian was pushed down by Puljujarvi. It also didn't work when Ennis pushed Kahun back into the bottom six. The Oilers need to commit to an actual forward that addresses the role and not hope that some combination of their depth guys catches fire for a handful of games.

A big chunk of our bottom six guys have cleared waivers this season. It'd be nice to have a line that actually has some chemistry.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
On trading the 2021 1st round pick

I've been a fan of the Oilers since I started following hockey in 2015. Every year there's been a sentiment of "trade the 1st" to accelerate the process of being a competitive team.

This is the first season where I actually think this is the year to do it. I'd try to identify I strong young goalie who projects as a future starter OR a pending RFA who hasn't been given enough opportunity with their current team. Sorokin is playing behind Varlamov, have to think that's a guy the Islander's lose in the expansion draft.

Also looking at how Burakovsky and Roslovic thrived with their new times while hopefully avoiding another Athanasiou situation.
Ekholm

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I'd throw a 4 million dollar contract for 1 year and that's it
he's got 4th liner finish

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd throw a 4 million dollar contract for 1 year and that's it
he's got 4th liner finish

Leafs fans also said Barrie was finished. Playing with Connor and Leon changes that awfully fast.

Let those two worry about getting Taylor looks, he just has to tap them in.

RNH McDavid Pulju
Hall Draisaitl Yamamoto

Works for me if he wants to do the Tyson Barrie 1 year thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad