Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

World Wanderer

Feb 6, 2007
I think the team is just accepting the fact that they have to roll the dice with Persson/Jones/Bear/Lagesson and hope they don't all fail.

They are going to have to anyways otherwise they will start to lose them on waivers in two years time. So this really is not a bad thing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I said early this spring we should trade RNH . I got drilled for it . It is simply to reason out

1) He is an UFA in 2 years coming off his best season . His value won't be higher .
2) He isn't nearly the defensive player some Oiler fans claim him to be . He is average at best
3) I don't think he will be worth his next contract . He will want a raise to 7 , 8 or 9 million and he just don't bring that value to the ice . Buffalo may have set the bar
4) There were a lot of teams up against the cap this year and our 1st had real value . We could have traded that first with a small add to pick up Kadri and a winger from TML . Kadri at 4.5 million brings more to the table and is cheaper and signed for an extra year . I know fans like to use stats from this year but context matters . Kadri played 3rd line shut down minutes . In the pass when he played 2nd line he put up 30 goals . Point may be moot as he did not waive for Calgary .
5) He a professional athlete making millions and yet he trains with his brother . I get spending time with your family . Maybe he should have a proper trainer and have his brother train with him instead of being his trainer
5) At some point Draisaitl needs to be a C and drive his own line . RNH would probably bring back a top line winger and a 3C or an addition winger .

On a side note . I think Holland added lots of depth to the bottom 6 so I think we will be much better on PK and have better scoring from this bottom 6 . We still need to fix the top 6 . If I am Holland every UFA winger available next summer I am calling their agents to see if they have interest in playing for the Oilers . If they do make an offer . Screw the ones that don't . Edmonton was good enough for some of the best players the game has ever seen it should be good enough for anyone .

Example of a line up after trading RNH of course this is provided they would sign with Edmonton ...that can be the challenge

Kreider McDavid Neal
Benson Draisaitl Frolik
Granlund Coyle Chiasson/Hope Yamamoto could grab this spot or the 2nd line stop and drop Frolik down to the 3rd line
Nygard Haas Archibald

I know it a pipe dream to add that many UFAs as they want to get paid . Point is we can build a better team by moving RNH and adding 2 top 6 wingers and signing a 3C . Trading RNH may net 2 of this things signed for 3 + years leaving only 1 to add at which point maybe we could go after Spurgeon

D would look like

Nurse Spurgeon
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Bouchard
Persson

With Broberg and Samorukov still developing . May have to include Lagesson with RNH in a trade as he is also ready .

All a dream I know . But if moving RNH brought back a top 6 winger and a 3rd line C . We are 1 winger and Spurgeon away from this example .

Last edited:
Reactions: Magnum23

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
They won't though that is what you are completely ignoring and the fact that 1 in season injury to Drai or Mcdavid completely destroys the line up because you don't have anyone to play in the top 6. You certainly can't be looking at the 2 "true top six wingers" to fill that role even Hall couldn't manage to do that. Most centers can pass off as wingers but you won't get any wingers back that somehow against all odds converts into a centerman that will succeed in that role. There is literally no reason to get rid of him right now I'm tired of fostering players until they are completely or nearly mature and then sell them off for "reasons" like faceoff percentage.

As I said, the Oilers are not making the playoffs this year so the compete this year is mute. You want to place eight points out of the playoffs instead of 14?

I am not saying to trade him for futures. Teams need centers and one may overpay for him. That is good asset management.

I know people like watching Drai and McDavid play together but it is not maximizing their potential contributions to the team.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I said early this spring we should trade RNH . I got drilled for it . It is simply to reason out

1) He is an UFA in 2 years coming off his best season . His value won't be higher .
2) He isn't nearly the defensive player some Oiler fans claim him to be . He is average at best
3) I don't think he will be worth his next contract . He will want a raise to 7 , 8 or 9 million and he just don't bring that value to the ice . Buffalo may have set the bar
4) There were a lot of teams up against the cap this year and our 1st had real value . We could have traded that first with a small add to pick up Kadri and a winger from TML . Kadri at 4.5 million brings more to the table and is cheaper and signed for an extra year . I know fans like to use stats from this year but context matters . Kadri played 3rd line shut down minutes . In the pass when he played 2nd line he put up 30 goals . Point may be moot as he did not waive for Calgary .
5) He a professional athlete making millions and yet he trains with his brother . I get spending time with your family . Maybe he should have a proper trainer and have his brother train with him instead of being his trainer
5) At some point Draisaitl needs to be a C and drive his own line . RNH would probably bring back a top line winger and a 3C or an addition winger .

On a side note . I think Holland added lots of depth to the bottom 6 so I think we will be much better on PK and have better scoring from this bottom 6 . We still need to fix the top 6 . If I am Holland every UFA winger available next summer I am calling their agents to see if they have interest in playing for the Oilers . If they do make an offer . Screw the ones that don't . Edmonton was good enough for some of the best players the game has ever seen it should be good enough for anyone .

Example of a line up after trading RNH of course this is provided they would sign with Edmonton ...that can be the challenge

Kreider McDavid Neal
Benson Draisaitl Frolik
Granlund Coyle Chiasson/Hope Yamamoto could grab this spot or the 2nd line stop and drop Frolik down to the 3rd line
Nygard Haas Archibald

I know it a pipe dream to add that many UFAs as they want to get paid . Point is we can build a better team by moving RNH and adding 2 top 6 wingers and signing a 3C . Trading RNH may net 2 of this things signed for 3 + years leaving only 1 to add at which point maybe we could go after Spurgeon

D would look like

Nurse Spurgeon
Klefbom Larsson
Jones Bouchard
Persson

With Broberg and Samorukov still developing . May have to include Lagesson with RNH in a trade as he is also ready .

All a dream I know . But if moving RNH brought back a top 6 winger and a 3rd line C . We are 1 winger and Spurgeon away from this example .

I'm not completely on the don't trade RNH train, but I don't see many situations where it makes sense.

I would also expect McDavid and Draisatil to riot if RNH is dealt for futures, and swapping RNH for Kreider to save maybe 1 or 2 million isn't a good idea in my book. Plus dealing him for a defenceman doesn't help, as I don't see him returning a guy that's an upgrade on Klefbom or Nurse quality wise. If you think RNH is due for a raise, wait until you see what Spurgeon wants next offseason. You've always swapped 2 years of control of a quality player for 1.

Personally I think McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH is a near perfect nucleus to build around, as they're 3 inter-changable pieces that can excel in multiple difference set-ups. If anything, you should be adding to it. In my book a quality RH shot is a missing piece; the Sharp to Kane, Toews, and Hossa if you will.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
As I said, the Oilers are not making the playoffs this year so the compete this year is mute. You want to place eight points out of the playoffs instead of 14?

I am not saying to trade him for futures. Teams need centers and one may overpay for him. That is good asset management.

I know people like watching Drai and McDavid play together but it is not maximizing their potential contributions to the team.

That includes us. Our center depth sucks now after CMD, Drai, RNH and you want to trade RNH?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The problem with trading RNH is that for the past 6 years, we surrounded him with a crap team and put him in very difficult circumstances. Prior to CMD he was the #1 facing the best centers in the league, specifically the centers of the pacific

So his value is always going to be supressed because of that. If he was on a team with great D and good support, he likely would have been a consistent 65/70 point 2 way center. The only variable that changes in those 2 situations is the team around him

So personally, I dont think well ever get close to the value he brings to the Oilers. Instead, well trade himf or a young up and coming guy on a good team who looks real promising. Hell then come to Edmonton and struggle and RNH will go to that team and *magically* look much better.

For that reason, Id keep him. Id go as high as 7.5 on his next deal as well. In 2 years, that 7.5 will be like 6.75 today- and hes very much worth 6.75 right now

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Persson I think is held in fairly high regard within the org... I think they are willing to roll the dice with him and see what they have in him to start the season (or very soon after).

Overall though I think the team is just accepting the fact that they have to roll the dice with Persson/Jones/Bear/Lagesson and hope they don't all fail.

At this point I think this is looking more and more likely. I think the defensive depth chart is looking like

Nurse/Klef-Larsson
Nurse/Klef-______
Russell-______
_____

Benning will be one of those blanks, but I think Persson and Jones have the inside track on the other two. Jones due to having the best "all-round" game; as he'll be the one that needs the least sheltering (defensively or offensively). Persson due to age and skill set. Bear could also make some noise too.

I think Bouchard pushes his way in sooner vs. later (think mid-season). But that's exactly what I want: him to force his way onto the roster.

Depending on how Jones (or Lagesson) looks, I can see Holland taking advantage of Russell's 10 team trade list.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this as the defence this time next year.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Lagesson-Jones
Bear, Persson

8 is a bit of an odd number, but I think the Oil bet on losing a defenceman to Seattle and stack the board against that. Keep in mind you'll still have Samorukov and Broberg waiting in the wings too.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Apparently there's a decent chance Backes is bought out by Boston because McAvoy may take up their remaining cap space (and then some)...

... so would anyone here be interested in Backes on a cheap 1 year deal... say less than $2 million.

Would be a decent option for a big #3C in the lineup. Obviously his offense has fallen off but as a #3C with decent defensive abilities... I think the Oilers could do worse than add him (again if the cost is right... which it should be after a buyout).

No Backes was done before joining Boston

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
At this point I think this is looking more and more likely. I think the defensive depth chart is looking like

Nurse/Klef-Larsson
Nurse/Klef-______
Russell-______
_____

Benning will be one of those blanks, but I think Persson and Jones have the inside track on the other two. Jones due to having the best "all-round" game; as he'll be the one that needs the least sheltering (defensively or offensively). Persson due to age and skill set. Bear could also make some noise too.

I think Bouchard pushes his way in sooner vs. later (think mid-season). But that's exactly what I want: him to force his way onto the roster.

Depending on how Jones (or Lagesson) looks, I can see Holland taking advantage of Russell's 10 team trade list.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this as the defence this time next year.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Lagesson-Jones
Bear, Persson

8 is a bit of an odd number, but I think the Oil bet on losing a defenceman to Seattle and stack the board against that. Keep in mind you'll still have Samorukov and Broberg waiting in the wings too.

I’m hoping we run with 7 D during games and have both Persson (if he is ready and shows well in preseason) and Jones both playing 7-10 minutes a night depending on the situation. With our lacking winger depth and glut of young/skilled Dmen it makes sense to me. Double shift Connor every once and a while or a winger who is playing well to fill in the gap on the 4th line against weaker competition.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
McDavid and Drai are obviously great centres but without Nuge we wouldn't be able to play them on the same line which is a huge, huge deal.

That's my point. It is only a huge huge deal for those who enjoy watching them. It is not using cap space to its maximum value.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
[QUOTE="nabob, post: 163662353, member: 28285"]I’m hoping we run with 7 D during games and have both Persson (if he is ready and shows well in preseason) and Jones both playing 7-10 minutes a night depending on the situation. With our lacking winger depth and glut of young/skilled Dmen it makes sense to me. Double shift Connor every once and a while or a winger who is playing well to fill in the gap on the 4th line against weaker competition.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a terrible idea it's disruptive to the forwards and the defense.

Playing young defense like that does their development no favors either.

Seems like an all around terrible idea to me.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
[QUOTE="nabob, post: 163662353, member: 28285"]I’m hoping we run with 7 D during games and have both Persson (if he is ready and shows well in preseason) and Jones both playing 7-10 minutes a night depending on the situation. With our lacking winger depth and glut of young/skilled Dmen it makes sense to me. Double shift Connor every once and a while or a winger who is playing well to fill in the gap on the 4th line against weaker competition.

I think that's a terrible idea it's disruptive to the forwards and the defense.

Playing young defense like that does their development no favors either.

Seems like an all around terrible idea to me.

Why does it do them no favors? Is it better to toss them into the fire, like we have done with every other defense prospect in the last 6-7 years and watch them fail miserably in their first/second seasons?

Give Persson some PP time and have it so he doesn’t have to be used to kill penalties. Also gives Jones a chance to be eased into the lineup.

Or we could not do that and have another winger that provides absolutely nothing of value to the team dress as the 12th forward like we did for 99% of games last year.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Why does it do them no favors? Is it better to toss them into the fire, like we have done with every other defense prospect in the last 6-7 years and watch them fail miserably in their first/second seasons?

Give Persson some PP time and have it so he doesn’t have to be used to kill penalties. Also gives Jones a chance to be eased into the lineup.

Or we could not do that and have another winger that provides absolutely nothing of value to the team dress as the 12th forward like we did for 99% of games last year.

Have you ever tried to play hockey when you weren't given consistent minutes and had no chance to find your rhythm? It's not a good development model for anyone.

Tippett wants 3 lines he can roll with and one to do the heavy lifting, constantly juggling lines and having no line cohesion because you want 7 defenders isn't going to make that feasible and there's no real upside to it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Have you ever tried to play hockey when you weren't given consistent minutes and had no chance to find your rhythm? It's not a good development model for anyone.

Tippett wants 3 lines he can roll with and one to do the heavy lifting, constantly juggling lines and having no line cohesion because you want 7 defenders isn't going to make that feasible and there's no real upside to it.

I think you’re being a little dramatic about it all. Lines change from game to game all the time. Having a couple of wingers double shift once and a while really wouldn’t effect anything. Happens all the time when there’s an injury or a player has an equipment issue or else when coaches shuffle up the lines mid game.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pens fan here.

Knowing Holland had interest in Jack Johnson, would the following be of interest?:

Jack Johnson and Dominik Simon for Brandon Manning

No clue how the current Oilers management team feels about Manning and if they see Johnson as an upgrade over him. Simon has clicked with just about everyone he has played with on the Pens, has good analytics, scored at a decent clip (his shot needs work), can play either wing, and is cheap.

Pens would then bury Manning in the minors for cap space in order to re-sign RFA Pettersson.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A team with Drai and McDavid will never have center depth suck.

2 very good centers that often times play on the same line which makes it only 1 of them at center = depth. Were you away from all internet access and had no tv or in a coma for all of last season? Right now even while we have RNH we lack a 3C. Unless you completely abandon playing Connor and Drai together at ES and add a long term solution at 3C after dealing RNH our center depth would still be shallow.

The smart play is to keep RNH and if injury hits you can separate Connor and Leon temporarily. Depth down the middle and on defense is NEVER a bad thing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pens fan here.

Knowing Holland had interest in Jack Johnson, would the following be of interest?:

Jack Johnson and Dominik Simon for Brandon Manning

No clue how the current Oilers management team feels about Manning and if they see Johnson as an upgrade over him. Simon has clicked with just about everyone he has played with on the Pens, has good analytics, scored at a decent clip (his shot needs work), can play either wing, and is cheap.

Pens would then bury Manning in the minors for cap space in order to re-sign RFA Pettersson.

Hell no, we have a ton of solid D prospects coming down the pipeline and Manning is off the books after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad