Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Any further moves before opening night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Interesting stat from today

Justin Faulk led the Canes defense in icetime
TOI - PP TOI
Faulk 21:24 - 3:59
Pesce 21:00 - N/A
Slavin 20:10 - 2:01
Hamilton 18:52 - 0:25
Van Riemsdyk 17:52 -N/A
De Haan 17:14 - N/A

So he was used heavily on PP1, but 5th in EV TOI.
I wonder why they didn't give Hamilton any powerplay time. Are they showcasing Faulk?
It has to be that or Hamilton is a little banged up.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Interesting stat from today

Justin Faulk led the Canes defense in icetime
TOI - PP TOI
Faulk 21:24 - 3:59
Pesce 21:00 - N/A
Slavin 20:10 - 2:01
Hamilton 18:52 - 0:25
Van Riemsdyk 17:52 -N/A
De Haan 17:14 - N/A

So he was used heavily on PP1, but 5th in EV TOI.
I wonder why they didn't give Hamilton any powerplay time. Are they showcasing Faulk?

The Canes are showcasing him. I watched the game and the announcers mentioned it once about showcasing him and even discussed that they have been trying to trade him all summer but haven't got what they are asking for from other teams.

On a side note....I know most people know this but Slavin is a hell of a dman. He's a monster at 5 on 5 but I also really liked his puck movement on the PP. He was on the 2nd unit but to my eye I think he can totally QB a PP1. Really, really good dman. The Canes are lucky to have him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think you give Bouchard a taste for 4 or 5 games and send him back at the end of October, knowing what the NHL game is like.

His offence is great, but I don't want him becoming a Jultz, where you need to shelter him at every step. Nor does this team have the horses on defence to cover for that imo. Give him time in junior to polish that aspect of his game.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
The Canes are showcasing him. I watched the game and the announcers mentioned it once about showcasing him and even discussed that they have been trying to trade him all summer but haven't got what they are asking for from other teams.

On a side note....I know most people know this but Slavin is a hell of a dman. He's a monster at 5 on 5 but I also really liked his puck movement on the PP. He was on the 2nd unit but to my eye I think he can totally QB a PP1. Really, really good dman. The Canes are lucky to have him.
Slavin is lowkey one of the best defensive dmen in the league. He's basically everything we wish Larsson was.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I guess I could have put this in the Around the NHL thread but I'll leave it here because we have discussed both of these guys as potential trade targets.

Justin Faulk - yesterday again made at least two boneheaded defensive reads. He just isn't a good defensive dman at all. He's also not really a PP QB in the traditional sense. He absolutely is a weapon on the PP as he unleashes a bomb from the point. But he's no Erik Karlsson, Morgan Rielly, etc. Doesn't have great puck movement on PP but is a willing shooter and puts himself in shooting positions. He would work here as McDavid would carry the puck in and would be able to set him up for shots. Still would not give up much for this player. If you do, it will haunt you.

Ristolainen - I flipped in and out from this game so didn't watch it lots but tuned in to watch Risto just give up the defensive blue line to easily at least 3 times. Not a very smart player defensively (gap control sucks, defensive reads are poor, decision making is flawed). He's not a good puck mover either. Just a very flawed player. I was thinking with time he would get better as his physical tools are very good but I think he might have plateaued. If I was GM of the Oilers I probably would stay away from him unless he could be had cheaply. I think he's a #4 at best to be honest (and might be less but want to watch him more this year to see if their is anything there).

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I guess I could have put this in the Around the NHL thread but I'll leave it here because we have discussed both of these guys as potential trade targets.

Justin Faulk - yesterday again made at least two boneheaded defensive reads. He just isn't a good defensive dman at all. He's also not really a PP QB in the traditional sense. He absolutely is a weapon on the PP as he unleashes a bomb from the point. But he's no Erik Karlsson, Morgan Rielly, etc. Doesn't have great puck movement on PP but is a willing shooter and puts himself in shooting positions. He would work here as McDavid would carry the puck in and would be able to set him up for shots. Still would not give up much for this player. If you do, it will haunt you.

Ristolainen - I flipped in and out from this game so didn't watch it lots but tuned in to watch Risto just give up the defensive blue line to easily at least 3 times. Not a very smart player defensively (gap control sucks, defensive reads are poor, decision making is flawed). He's not a good puck mover either. Just a very flawed player. I was thinking with time he would get better as his physical tools are very good but I think he might have plateaued. If I was GM of the Oilers I probably would stay away from him unless he could be had cheaply. I think he's a #4 at best to be honest (and might be less but want to watch him more this year to see if their is anything there).
Frankly I think it is difficult to ascertain any useful info from players in Buffalo. That team look toxic, Eichel just lollygagging around...

Re: Faulk, The reality is very few dmen do not make multiple gaffes every game, not going to happen. I watched as well, didn't see anything remarkably horrendous. Did get caved a bit in the high danger chances, 2 for 6 against, though, I will grant you that. I would take him so long as it doesn't sidewind our cap situation too badly. His cost per point is in the same region as Tyler Myers, for example.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
McChiaricolson I agree dmen make mistakes but Faulk is just extreme. The NYI licked yesterday. Faulk faced super weak competition but still got owned (at times). The Hurricanes were the much superior team yet when they put Faulk out that was when it seemed the NYI started to carry the play.

I don't know....Faulk is.....well I guess very divisive. I can see what he would bring to us but man he will need to be sheltered big time if we do get him.

Regarding the Sabres..... good point. I had read on HF people talking about them surprising this year but they were horrendous. Truth be told I don't think I've ever seen Eichel play well but when I look at his stats he does have them by the end of the year. So not sure what to think regarding him. But yeah the Sabres....yikes!

I think the Oilers and Sabres should be a cautionary tale for any team that wants to completely tank and lose for many years. Very tough to become a winning team when your star players are around that much losing when they enter the league.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
MOD EDIT-Trying to keep this discussion without driving it into oncoming traffic.

Drai for Eichel if Eichel has a tough year in Buffalo and he can't shake the losing culture?

Last edited by a moderator:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
makes me think the oilers can barely afford Drai at 8.5. how could they afford a guy making 10M a year, especially when he hasn't yet proven to be the better player?

On a per game basis, over the past three years, they are basically even while Eichel has battled injury and Draisaitl earned many of his points playing with McDavid. I'd argue that Drai has had the better environment/opportunity to succeed. So it's close, but I think the edge goes to Eichel. However, Eichel's so pissy, I'd stay with Drai regardless.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
giphy.gif

Anyyyyways... Eichel for Drai never happening anyway. Still nervous of Benning in top 4. Carry on!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What's the point of giving Bouchard 9 games and not playing him on the pp. Might as well send him down. A rookie dman is gonna make mistakes but if he is good offensively he can outscore them/still be worth it even with a bone headed play every now and then.

Keeping up Bouchard without power play time is like sending him to war without bullets.

If he gets 9 games give the kid the weapon to succeed

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PulYou

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What's the point of giving Bouchard 9 games and not playing him on the pp. Might as well send him down. A rookie dman is gonna make mistakes but if he is good offensively he can outscore them/still be worth it even with a bone headed play every now and then.

Keeping up Bouchard without power play time is like sending him to war without bullets.

If he gets 9 games give the kid the weapon to succeed
He's on the second unit, they probably don't want to just throw an 18 year old out as the PPQB right off the hop, probably.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Isn't McDavid the quarter back? It would be more so to have a righty point shit. I don't think with Mcdavid any of our point options will be QB so less pressure.

Could be bear too. Feels stupid to not have right shot dman on pp1

Edit: point shot lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rishaug said that Viverios was being overruled and not allowed input when it came to the PP in the tweet he was quoted in.

Seems like a really strange way to run a team if what you’re saying is true. Multiple messages from multiple coaches all on the same topic doesn’t make any sense. It would be a very Oilers way of doing things though.

Funny how some posters always think the coach who is a proven loser always deserves the benefit of the doubt even while still failing. (Not directed at you)
That's not what he said on the radio. Said the one day it looked like GG was running the show.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd rather keep Drai.

Eichel would wilt and wither in McDavids shadow. Too big a ordinary to play second fiddle.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
makes me think the oilers can barely afford Drai at 8.5. how could they afford a guy making 10M a year, especially when he hasn't yet proven to be the better player?

1.5 isn’t a big deal that high in the lineup. It means that instead of having Kass locked up, you bring in a couple Chiasson/Upshalls every year, and sign one to league minimum. There are players every year that could play 4th line that don’t end up getting a deal. Or even play a young guy. We’ve got guys like Marody, McLeod, and Benson who could play next year.

Drai and Eichel are pretty much on the same level right now, but Eichel’s potential definitely makes you think about it. The one thing though is Eichel has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to McDavid, so he might not be able to take playing second fiddle to him

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I guess, I mean we could assume all the constant rumours for months and the acquisition of his upgrade are just coincidence/made up?
Not made up (although I'm sure a bunch of them are). Just that the Canes maybe weren't in as desperate a position as everyone thought in terms of wanting to move him. Could have simply been a case of "he's available for the right offer" and they didn't get it.

Not saying he wont get dealt. I just don't think it would be for the pittance that some of us were hoping.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd do Drai for Eichel 10/10 times. Eichel can drive a line whereas Drai simply cannot imo.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1.5 isn’t a big deal that high in the lineup. It means that instead of having Kass locked up, you bring in a couple Chiasson/Upshalls every year, and sign one to league minimum. There are players every year that could play 4th line that don’t end up getting a deal. Or even play a young guy. We’ve got guys like Marody, McLeod, and Benson who could play next year.

Drai and Eichel are pretty much on the same level right now, but Eichel’s potential definitely makes you think about it. The one thing though is Eichel has a massive inferiority complex when it comes to McDavid, so he might not be able to take playing second fiddle to him
I love me some Drai, but in a vacuum I think Eichel is a better player. There is also no chance the Sabres would ever consider the trade. They just named Eichel their captain.

In terms of Eichel not wanting to play 2nd fiddle... I donno. Hasn't seemed to be a problem for Malkin or Crosby. Didn't stop Tavares from going to play with Matthews and the Leafs.

I think Eichel would probably relish the opportunity to play on a team with another elite player. Someone else to carry the water while he chops the wood so to speak.

Reactions: McChiaricolson

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think Eichel would probably relish the opportunity to play on a team with another elite player. Someone else to carry the water while he chops the wood so to speak.

You just gave me some serious Eakins PTSD :m-confused:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I love me some Drai, but in a vacuum I think Eichel is a better player. There is also no chance the Sabres would ever consider the trade. They just named Eichel their captain.

In terms of Eichel not wanting to play 2nd fiddle... I donno. Hasn't seemed to be a problem for Malkin or Crosby. Didn't stop Tavares from going to play with Matthews and the Leafs.

It’s debatable. Eichel still has to prove he can keep it up over a full season without getting hurt. Right now, they’re neck and neck imo and Drai has a better contract. Eichel will likely change that though, which is why I’d do it. I agree they wouldn’t do it.

The difference between Eichel and a guy like Malkin or Tavares is Eichel has a history of hating on McDavid and getting overly defensive about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad