Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Any further moves before opening night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
D69hui8.gif

C;mon Chia, please do something.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Re the Ceci v Benning post from the last thread

Typical stat line proving one player is superior to another, great. How about some context?

Benning averaged 17m TOI which puts him at #5 among Oilers regulars (Same with Shorthanded TOI he was 5th among our regular Dmen). Benning was on a below average team (Goal differntial of -33). He was our #5 dman playing easy minutes.

Ceci averaged 6 more minutes of TOI a game for 23 minutes which was 2nd to only EK. Averaged the most Shorthanded TOI (~180 more minutes than Benning shorthanded) on one of the leagues worst teams (Goal differential of -65). He was their #1 shutdown dman and #2 overall dman.

Again, im not saying Ceci is a good dman or someone we should acquire. Especially at his caphit,I want absolutely nothing to do with him. That being said Cody Ceci >>> Matt Benning.
Lets not act like Benning is a great player. Hes an O.K bottom pairing dman and thats fine.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Pirri would be dynamite on the PP as a RH shot. I'm just not sure where he'd fit at even strength. The 4th line will have lots of defensive zone starts with Brodziak taking draws so Pirri doesn't really work there. I guess we could double shift some top 6 forwards to limit his ES time.

Caggiula, Kassian, and a 2nd for Faulk with a million or so retained would fit under the cap. Claim Pirri or another forward on waivers. I bet Bouchard gets a 9 game look first though, which makes claiming a player now a bit complicated.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Cody Ceci is likely also a bottom pairing defenseman on merit, playing bigger minutes than he should on a back-end that makes the Oilers look terrific.

You're right, though, that the difference in usage makes a comparison apples and oranges. I wouldn't do a trade, though. Ceci makes more this year than Benning will over 2 and is probably not going to take less when he re-signs.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I just don't see a deal that could get done to actually improve our team. You have to give to get.

Last year was exactly the same. Hopefully the difference this year is that Klefbom can return to form and Nurse can build on his last season.

If Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse can be effective top 3 defenders against high quality of competition.

Russell and Benning can easily interchange as a complimentary 4 or useful 5.

That leaves: Bouchard, Bear, Garrison + the ahl squad for our 6,7, and 8 spots.

Not ideal but not worth breaking the bank to aquire a legit top 3 defender to cover for injuries.

Talbot & Klefbom really crapped the bed last year. Those 2 bounce back to 2016-2017 levels and while not ideal certainly capable.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pirri would be dynamite on the PP as a RH shot. I'm just not sure where he'd fit at even strength. The 4th line will have lots of defensive zone starts with Brodziak taking draws so Pirri doesn't really work there. I guess we could double shift some top 6 forwards to limit his ES time.

Caggiula, Kassian, and a 2nd for Faulk with a million or so retained would fit under the cap. Claim Pirri or another forward on waivers. I bet Bouchard gets a 9 game look first though, which makes claiming a player now a bit complicated.
Pirri is a left shot. I'm not seeing where he fits either with Aberg's situation still up in the air. He's pretty much a dime-a-dozen guy.

Reactions: thadd

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I just don't see a deal that could get done to actually improve our team. You have to give to get.

Last year was exactly the same. Hopefully the difference this year is that Klefbom can return to form and Nurse can build on his last season.

If Larsson, Klefbom, and Nurse can be effective top 3 defenders against high quality of competition.

Russell and Benning can easily interchange as a complimentary 4 or useful 5.

That leaves: Bouchard, Bear, Garrison + the ahl squad for our 6,7, and 8 spots.

Not ideal but not worth breaking the bank to aquire a legit top 3 defender to cover for injuries.

Talbot & Klefbom really crapped the bed last year. Those 2 bounce back to 2016-2017 levels and while not ideal certainly capable.
Pretty much how I'm seeing it.

Send the guys we've got now overseas, either Jerebek or sign Garrison as your #7. Carry Bear as our #8. It gives you another week to assess. Give Bouchard his nine games and send him back regardless of what he does unless it's something stupid like a PPG.

When all of that is done, make a small deal for a low cost stop gap option--right handed. Someone who's not getting an opportunity in their current organization due to depth and have them fill in as our bottom pair option to allow us to further develop Bear and Bouchard.

My preferred move right now would be to offer Zack Kassian and a small add for Jordan Schmaltz and Dmitrij Jaskin. It adds no salary to our payroll, it gives us a good puck moving defenseman capable of contributing on the PP and it adds a depth winger who has previous chemistry with our 4C. St Louis would probably do it because they don't have a player like Kassian in their bottom six, which is loaded with young talent this year. Jaskin is probably looking at the pressbox.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Cody Ceci is likely also a bottom pairing defenseman on merit, playing bigger minutes than he should on a back-end that makes the Oilers look terrific.

You're right, though, that the difference in usage makes a comparison apples and oranges. I wouldn't do a trade, though. Ceci makes more this year than Benning will over 2 and is probably not going to take less when he re-signs.

To be fair, I didn't suggest trading Benning for Ceci. I suggested trading Sekera for Ceci (essentially - the full trade proposal is in the previous thread).

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
This is ludicrous. Preseason is at least 3-4 games too long. Honestly, if you don't know who's on your team by now then you're likely going to suck anyway. (maybe that says something about the oilers but let's not go there)

Reactions: dawunderboy

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Other team's rosters are really starting to get pared down. I wonder if we'll hear what's happening with Ryan McLeod today or is he getting one more preseason game before heading back to Missy?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Other team's rosters are really starting to get pared down. I wonder if we'll hear what's happening with Ryan McLeod today or is he getting one more preseason game before heading back to Missy?
Probably one more against more standard NHL rosters. I suspect they will sign him to an ELC and then send him back.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

‘Sky is the limit for this kid’: Kris Russell may play mentor role with teenager Evan Bouchard

It's a lengthy article so if you scroll to "This and That" it talks about McLeod likely getting an ELC but getting sent to Junior later this week.

Strome was also back out for practice today.

Reactions: Aerrol and belair

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
‘Sky is the limit for this kid’: Kris Russell may play mentor role with teenager Evan Bouchard

It's a lengthy article so if you scroll to "This and That" it talks about McLeod likely getting an ELC but getting sent to Junior later this week.

Strome was also back out for practice today.

Also cool that Jakub isn’t getting much leash. He hasn’t earned it at all, and there’s others knocking on the same door he is. Glad to see the accountability and competition.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
That’ll be great for McDavid and Pulju.
People keep saying this. Did anyone watch the World Championship in Europe this year? It negates his speed because there is so much more ice to skate through. Mcdavid is far more impressive on NHL sized ice imo.

Did not like the big ice at all. Granted only time I see it is that tournament

Reactions: thadd

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People keep saying this. Did anyone watch the World Championship in Europe this year? It negates his speed because there is so much more ice to skate through. Mcdavid is far more impressive on NHL sized ice imo.

Did not like the big ice at all. Granted only time I see it is that tournament
Those guys were there too party, not play hockey

Reactions: belair

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
I thought I heard that the pre-season game in Germany will be on big ice but the regular season game in Sweden will be on NHL-sized ice.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad