Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Any further moves before opening night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Lol if thats the audition tape for Carolina, the cost is going to be picks and prospects. High picks. Good prospects.

And we likely need to do it

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well we better hope that the rumours of the Oilers waiting to put Sekera on LTIR to make a move for a top 4 RHD were true....

I don't mind Benning in a bottom pairing role playing 15 minutes a night.

But he can't be a top 4 staple. Nurse is not nearly a good enough d-man to carry Benning in the top 4. Hurts Benning, hurts Nurse and ultimately hurts the team.

Still think all those rumours were just wishful thinking though. This defense is what we've got.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly when it comes to making moves. Its so hard to tell to what extent, this teams holes are due to the coach and due to the GM.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well we better hope that the rumours of the Oilers waiting to put Sekera on LTIR to make a move for a top 4 RHD were true....

I don't mind Benning in a bottom pairing role playing 15 minutes a night.

But he can't be a top 4 staple. Nurse is not nearly a good enough d-man to carry Benning in the top 4. Hurts Benning, hurts Nurse and ultimately hurts the team.

Still think all those rumours were just wishful thinking though. This defense is what we've got.
I'm not sure it even needs to be a top four D in the literal sense. We just need a defenseman who doesn't take an hour to make an outlet pass. The second Zajac goal was a direct result of Benning's inability to make a quick pass decision.

All six defensemen on this team will get to see minutes in the late teens early twenties night in, night out. Finding a defender who will compliment his partner well is what I hope we can do for Darnell Nurse.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure it even needs to be a top four D in the literal sense. We just need a defenseman how doesn't take an hour to make an outlet pass. The second Zajac goal was a direct result of Benning's inability to make a quick pass decision.

All six defensemen on this team will get to see minutes in the late teens early twenties night in, night out. Finding a defender who will compliment his partner well is what I hope we can do for Darnell Nurse.
I disagree. I think we need a bonafide legitimate top 4 d-man. Someone who you know can play 20+ minutes of fairly consistent hockey night in, night out.

These half measures just don't work.

Reactions: Belieber

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I disagree. I think we need a bonafide legitimate top 4 d-man. Someone who you know can play 20+ minutes of fairly consistent hockey night in, night out.

The problem with the 'full measures' mindset is that those pieces cost significant assets, when we're not exactly swimming in them. I don't think a legitimate top four defenseman necessarily puts us over the top and I also don't believe the lack of one necessarily puts us behind the eight ball all season. If the player we're spending these assets on isn't a long-term addition, I fail to see the long-term value of this move.

I believe the defense today needs to improve its ability to move the puck forward quickly and accurately. In an NHL where quick forechecking teams are winning more hockey games, the only way to really combat that is with quicker, more effective breakouts. And I don't think it takes a legitimate top four NHL dfenseman to make this adjustment.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Yeah I completely agree we need a true top 4 d-man I’m not sure what assets we have that can get one without destroying our top 6 forwards and I wouldn’t ever think of trading this years first round pick.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

No chance anything is happening unless we acquire Faulk soon. What we have is what we are stuck with. Hopefully Bouchard thrusts into that number 4 role soon. Benning has run out to chances. I don’t mind Benning in a 6-7 role but he shouldn’t be near the top 4, rotate him in and out of the lineup. Should be out after today’s performance. I think Bouch and Bear are better options.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Carolina is gonna ask for the moon for Faulk. The desperation can be smelt a mile away. I don't see it happening.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm not sure it even needs to be a top four D in the literal sense. We just need a defenseman how doesn't take an hour to make an outlet pass. The second Zajac goal was a direct result of Benning's inability to make a quick pass decision.

I didn't mind Ben Lovejoy's game tonight. If we could add a guy like that for a pick it'd be nice. Problem is no team is moving a dman yet, except maybe Ottawa.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I don't know if this is the correct thread, but I just wanted to say a few words about the FEL goalie Veini Vehviläinen, as I mentioned him here quite a few times last season. He was drafted by the CBJ at #173 and I think he could've been worth at least a 4th or 5th round pick, but time will tell.

He's started the FEL very well, having the best sv% (.94) after 10 rounds. He's played 8 games and has had 3 shutouts. His GA and winning % are the best of the league as well and his team Kärpät is leading the FEL.

Anyway, obviously the Oilers drafted a very interesting goalie prospect and I'm not gonna write more about this for at least quite a while, as Vehviläinen ended up being drafted by another team.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I didn't mind Ben Lovejoy's game tonight. If we could add a guy like that for a pick it'd be nice. Problem is no team is moving a dman yet, except maybe Ottawa.
He is okay, but with how we were playing anyone would great

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wow, Nylander looking for Draisaitl money and haven't come off that number very much.

Mason may retire as well.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
“Well the Leafs should ask Chiarelli why Nylander is asking for big money because of what Draisaitl got.”
-Jeff O’Neill

****this is very, very loosely transcribed. However, the point was made by O’Neill that Chia wrecked the cap structure for everyone and that he was the reason that Nylander was asking for big money.

********FU*$ Jeff O’Fats

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
“Well the Leafs should ask Chiarelli why Nylander is asking for big money because of what Draisaitl got.”
-Jeff O’Neill

****this is very, very loosely transcribed. However, the point was made by O’Neill that Chia wrecked the cap structure for everyone and that he was the reason that Nylander was asking for big money.

********FU*$ Jeff O’Fats
If Chia is the reason the Leafs cant keep the "big 4" that would be great lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad