Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Another Day, Another Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I agree with this. To suggest that Drai isnt going to score 50 is fine but to suggest that he has peaked in point totals is very suspicious IMO.
He still has more to give offensively at his young age...he is not close to peaking offensively.

So I see the goal distribution shifting from what it was last season. That doesnt at all mean that less goals will be scored they will come from more sources.
I think an important thing is yes his shooting percentage will drop but he was 35th in the NHL for shots. I expect him to shoot more and have a lower percentage but I don't think it will be that drastic in a drop of numbers. If him and McDavid stick together for the whole season then maybe he does get 50 again.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't really expect them to score that much more than last year unless they add a significant proven NHL forward or two.

Past the three centers, this is basically an AHL caliber group of forwards pretending to be an NHL team.

That doesn't work in the NHL. You can't pretend your way through 82 NHL games, eventually (probably sooner than later) you will get exposed.

Your best bet is maybe that Tippett plays some kind of trap system, but that probably goes down the tubes real quick if Klefbom suffers his annual injury.

If anything too I think the book is fully out on the Oilers too, every team scouts us hard because of McDavid, and every team knows exactly how to play us ... you pick on/shut down lines 2/3/4 and forecheck the heck out of the D group until they start making mistakes and then go to town on the goalie.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think an important thing is yes his shooting percentage will drop but he was 35th in the NHL for shots. I expect him to shoot more and have a lower percentage but I don't think it will be that drastic in a drop of numbers. If him and McDavid stick together for the whole season then maybe he does get 50 again.

I actually didnt know that he was 35th in SOG. Interesting stat.
I think having Drai and McDavid together is the key.
Thats why I am sure Holland is trying to facilitate a trade for a top 6 winger. Just having another pairing thats a threat to score would make a world of difference.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I'd much rather grab Vanek over Ferland I'm not really sure what the love is for that guy but he's definitely going to get way more term than he deserves. Vanek will be cheaper has signed 1 and 2 year deals his last 2 contracts and he's basically scored at the same pace for like the last 6 years and he is a right handed shooter something that second line and our pp desperately needs more of.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd much rather grab Vanek over Ferland I'm not really sure what the love is for that guy but he's definitely going to get way more term than he deserves. Vanek will be cheaper has signed 1 and 2 year deals his last 2 contracts and he's basically scored at the same pace for like the last 6 years and he is a right handed shooter something that second line and our pp desperately needs more of.

They need to land at least one of these guys

Ferland
Brassard
Vanek
Maroon

Ideally two. If Ferland is out of suitors and willing to sign a 2 year on the hopes of McPoints raising his eventual next extension, I'd be on board for that.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I actually didnt know that he was 35th in SOG. Interesting stat.
I think having Drai and McDavid together is the key.
Thats why I am sure Holland is trying to facilitate a trade for a top 6 winger. Just having another pairing thats a threat to score would make a world of difference.
Yeah I was looking into it. Kinda crazy. If i recall correctly I believe even McDavid was ahead of him. Exactly I think he might find one for Nuge. Why break up that pair if they are so successful

Reactions: guymez

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Oilers power packs ad at the top of hf board
87220FE1-0E25-433B-A69D-82961E813B73.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Because this team is in a very dangerous place and is one wrong move away from...I don't even know how low that an be. A young gm can easily be taken to the cleaners or try some weird fancy stats move like moving Draisaitl for a third line or some bad move cause they are trying to make a splash.

You hire a guy like Holland for long term success because a vet like Holland is always looking to the future not trying to make a name for himself. You spend 5 mill on Holland because you want a guy who has the balls to do what's needed for long term success and ignore the whining and crying

Take alot of balls to say that as he literally got pushed out in Detroit because he messed up their long term situation so bad

And my god can we get away from the mindset that young GMs cant handle the NHL. Chiarelli was a long time GM heralded for his experience a d got taken to the cleaner 3 times.

We are hiring the same recycled garbage and expecting different results. We get exactly what we deserve

Reactions: Jarvi

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Take alot of balls to say that as he literally got pushed out in Detroit because he messed up their long term situation so bad

And my god can we get away from the mindset that young GMs cant handle the NHL. Chiarelli was a long time GM heralded for his experience a d got taken to the cleaner 3 times.

We are hiring the same recycled garbage and expecting different results. We get exactly what we deserve

You've jumped the shark.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
With Nylander getting Jokiharju I think we could easily pull Lias Andersson out of NY for Pulju...

Could try him at 3c or 2lw, hard working player that hasn't worked out in the big Apple.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
With Nylander getting Jokiharju I think we could easily pull Lias Andersson out of NY for Pulju...

Could try him at 3c or 2lw, hard working player that hasn't worked out in the big Apple.

Jack Roslovic. He asked for a trade was the rumor

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JP has to have more value then A.Nylander. Both are underwelming high picks from the same year. If Nylander could get a decent, young Dman back then theres hope for a JP trade.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
The only similarities that Rieder and Nichushkin have at this point in their careers are their 0 goal campaigns. Prior to returning to Edmonton, Rieder had seen a steady decline in offensive production and had already passed through two NHL organizations. I believe there may have been an injury somewhere along the line also.

As for this season. The Oilers are probably better suited bringing a number of 'gambles' to camp at this point versus putting all of their eggs into one basket considering we're not exactly looking at certain production from anyone left who's realistically available to us.

I don’t know if you noticed but Nichushkin’s NHL numbers have been in a steady decline the 3 years he’s played in the league. I’m just suggesting that, cheap or not, the Oilers just dumped a zero goal scorer, so I’m doubting their going to sign another to take his place and at 24 I’d say Nichushkin is more a suspect than prospect. o_O

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
our inaction is directly linked to that fact we have no real cap space

we have 3.93 in cap space--we need to think about bonuses of both Smith and Bouchard(if he makes the team) or Yamamoto

we are in a situation where we can not have carry over penalties due to going over the cap

we are also 48/50 against the contract cap

For me, people screaming about not adding certain players--for every player we add we need to send one out and we need realize that the players we want to move out no one wants

It is not a matter of Holland not knowing player X was available--but our ability to move someone out the other team wants and not a player we do not want to move

we have had many rants about trading either Nuge or Nurse--if not them then who?

the only phone call I think should be made is Gagner to the sens with a 3rd for either a B prospect or a 2nd? Dunno I can see both Manning and Gagner being moved with a pick before the start of the season

other teams are not going to do us favours just because

while some view Holland's inactivity as a bad thing--we have only handed out 1 or 2 year contracts--they players many of us wanted got 4 and 5 year deals and those deals could turn out very bad--

Due to the cap--we needed to take a pause and it will be all our prospects that feel the weight of the fact we are still in cap hell--

we will find out if some are as good as some of us hope

Simply by rearranging the deck chairs the Oilers can get to $4.8M in cap space on a 22 man roster. Assuming you stick to a 22 man roster that means you have a at least $5.8M to spend to upgrade the forwards while leaving yourself a bit of a cushion to start the year.

From there there is 0 reason to fear bonus overages this year. Last year it was a real concern but the cap opens up a lot next year. Or at the very least options to acquire additional space increase. And you want these player to earn their bonuses. If Smith gets his $750K for making the playoffs that is a good thing.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Roslovic for Puljujarvi makes too much sense. Both players requested a trade.

It reunites the Laine + Puljujarvi relationship/connection(could be irrelevant)

It gives the Oilers a potential middle-6 piece going forward.

Something like this would be nice, the 2 veteran pieces also help both clubs.

To Winnipeg:
Puljujarvi
Russell

To Edmonton:
Roslovic
Perreault

Sign Dzingel

Benson-McDavid-Perreault
Dzingel-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Roslovic
Lucic-Granlund-Kassian
Gagner/Brodziak/Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Persson-Benning
Manning

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Roslovic for Puljujarvi makes too much sense. Both players requested a trade.

It reunites the Laine + Puljujarvi relationship/connection(could be irrelevant)

It gives the Oilers a potential middle-6 piece going forward.

Something like this would be nice, the 2 veteran pieces also help both clubs.

To Winnipeg:
Puljujarvi
Russell

To Edmonton:
Roslovic
Perreault

Sign Dzingel

Benson-McDavid-Perreault
Dzingel-Draisaitl-Chiasson
Nygard-RNH-Roslovic
Lucic-Granlund-Kassian
Gagner/Brodziak/Khaira

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Persson-Benning
Manning

Trading Russell without getting another NHL defender is a bad idea IMO.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Trading Russell without getting another NHL defender is a bad idea IMO.
We could also bring in a couple on PTO's, plus we also have Jones who's also an upgrade over Russell.

Russell is a liability at this point.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Russel’s 10 team list likely consists of 9 teams that have absolutely no interest in him and Calgary.

Doubt he’s going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad