Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Another Day, Another Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
My body is ready for trap hockey. That's all Tippett will be able to employ with this roster and goaltending

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
2MzWOgd.jpg

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I mean... I understand theres still a ton of free agents out there, but each passing day this roster gets closer and closer to being what we ice to start the season, and it's incredibly depressing.

Please make a trade or something soon

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Beg to differ.

The longer these FAs are NOT signed, the lower their 'ask' becomes.

Gardiners camp was likely gunning for $7million a year on July 1st.
Now there are very very few teams who could afford that, and even fewer who would bother to sign him.

Same goes for Dzingel, Ferland, Vanek, Johansson, Hutton, and Maroon.

If those guys aren't signed by August, expect them to sign for well under $1.5million a piece.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The longer nothing happens the more likely that what you see is what you get with this club. No one wants to sign here, no one wants to get traded here and we don't have the cap to overpay them to change their mind. Did I mention that this offseason is pissing me off yet? :)
Do you blame them , they just see the history of Oilers signing sought after free agents Souray burried in minors after for over a year, Lucic can't chase him out of town fast enough, Schultz booed to humiluation , Sekera dumped like a disposal bin .

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Man I would spend the rest of our cap on Ferland. He is exactly what we need.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think Dzingle\Ferland are too rich for Holland. Didnt he say that he is hoping to grab a free agent for around 1M when the prices drop further.
Still hoping for Dzingle.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Do you blame them , they just see the history of Oilers signing sought after free agents Souray burried in minors after for over a year, Lucic can't chase him out of town fast enough, Schultz booed to humiluation , Sekera dumped like a disposal bin .
Well if you play like Jultz of Oilers, Sekera and Lucic what do you expect?
We also waived Fayne and captain Ference to the AHL and deservedly so. Im sure all UFAs know that these things happen when you become a liability.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Man I would spend the rest of our cap on Ferland. He is exactly what we need.
Anyone who can score 20 goals and fit in our budget which is hugely limited (when you account for bonuses) is a good fit for us. I don't think Ferland is "exactly" what we need, but he'd help, in an ideal world we'd add an impact forward like an Ehlers or Gusev (who I think can perform at that level). With 4 impact forwards I think we can salvage some offense by committee from the rest for a non-embarrassing conclusion to the season. Ferland is a 2nd/3rd line tweener with intangibles and the intangibles he brings aren't the kind we are in short supply of.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's not why free agents don't want to sign in Edmonton. They are an organization heavily steeped in losing, historically so, and it's Edmonton. With all due respect to the city, it's a northernmost outpost which is unattractive to most young millionaires, add in the fishbowl atmosphere and....yeah. If they start winning, that might change a little bit but they are far from that and their reputation gets worse every year as they continue to waste the career of the best player in the game.

In any event, teams aren't built with free agents, at least not really good teams. Nyquist, Ferland and guys like that aren't saving this team and in fact they are more likely to hurt it with a bad contract which most long term free agent signings turn out to be.
They'll need to make smart trades (Haula and Miller were right there for them for example), bargain bin signings that outperform their contract and as has been mentioned ad nauseam, it's essential that they draft and develop. If their current prospect group doesn't have at least 3-4 guys who pan out, the McDavid era will end as a disaster.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Beg to differ.

Now there are very very few teams who could afford that, and even fewer who would bother to sign him.

If those guys aren't signed by August, expect them to sign for well under $1.5million a piece.
I wonder about Gardiner. He's not young anymore at 29. He's also a good puck mover, but doesn't get a lot of goals. Hainsey and Muzzin got more. If he'd want any term on a deal, I don't think I'd want him signed for 5 million even

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I wonder about Gardiner. He's not young anymore at 29. He's also a good puck mover, but doesn't get a lot of goals. Hainsey and Muzzin got more. If he'd want any term on a deal, I don't think I'd want him signed for 5 million even

He's coming off a back injury, I wonder how much that has played into things.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's coming off a back injury, I wonder how much that has played into things.
hmmm, didn't know that. So would they expect him to be better going forward, or worse? Idk, he could be perfect for a few years here, as a LHD puck mover to play with Bouchard

Bangers

May 31, 2006
This is the most depressing post-golden ticket off season. Season feels done already and it's not even mid-July

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Beg to differ.

I can't see Dzingel, Ferland or Johansson signing for anywhere close to less than 1.5 million.

The price probably will come down but let's not be ridiculous.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Take a breath and find something you like to do and take a break from hockey for a little bit. Some of you peeps sound like you need it and let off some of that steam while your at it. I think it is unhealthy holding all that bitterness in your body all the time.
Just a friendly suggestion from one fan to another.

Edit: Especially the mods, you guys must be exhausted dealing with this fanbase. You guys deserve a break just to reset before the season starts.
Thanks for cleaning the threads of the non-essentials!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->