Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Missing the playoffs this year does nothing. Our core is locked in for the long haul. This is Holland and Tippetts first season as GM and coach, they're not going anywhere. The fans - the ones who are paying attention, and not prone to hissy fits on the internet - recognize the situation, and can see the progress. The owner will pay whatever needs to be paid to win.

Missing the playoffs changes nothing. There is no damage long term. We weren't supposed to make it this year anyways.

But it would suck. I hope we buy.

I think they were given an opportunity this year to sneak in. Teams like Winnipeg, Nashville, Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim all probably get better next year. Package whatever you need to get a top six winger with term left, then find a veteran center that can keep us afloat in the short term.

At the very least, a non-playoff team should be willing to give us a warm body in exchange for Puljujarvi's rights.

Letting this season get away from us would be incredibly discouraging. This is a team that only made the playoffs once in the past 13 years, we are in no position to expect next year to be better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought you said the team was Actually Good? Can't have it both ways, I'm afraid.

Last time I looked at the standings this team was fighting for 1st place in the division.

I'd say that qualifies as getting results....you apparently dont see it that way.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Last time I looked at the standings this team was fighting for 1st place in the division.

I'd say that qualifies as getting results....you apparently dont see it that way.

Wait: I thought it was too much to ask to take a "bottom feeder with no cap space to potential contender". But here you are saying he did that? Is the idea that he's done everything he can?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wait: I thought it was too much to ask to take a "bottom feeder with no cap space to potential contender". But here you are saying he did that? Is the idea that he's done everything he can?

Where did I say he did that?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I think they were given an opportunity this year to sneak in. Teams like Winnipeg, Nashville, Chicago, San Jose and Anaheim all probably get better next year. Package whatever you need to get a top six winger with term left, then find a veteran center that can keep us afloat in the short term.

At the very least, a non-playoff team should be willing to give us a warm body in exchange for Puljujarvi's rights.

Letting this season get away from us would be incredibly discouraging. This is a team that only made the playoffs once in the past 13 years, we are in no position to expect next year to be better.

You know what’s even dumber than letting this season slip away? Also we haven’t played a single game yet and are in a good spot right now. Trading Puljuarvi’s rights for “a warm body”. Then continuing to shred down. You need those assets for summer, when you can actually get someone with term.

This season isn’t a disgrace, even if we miss, if you would have asked everyone here in September if in the middle of February if we were right in the playoff fight, and about a 6 point collapse away from starting to fall out of it, everyone would have taken that. Including our management.

Relax, not counting tonight’s game we have 2 games in hand on everyone around us, let’s play a few games before we panic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Where did I say he did that?

For a team of "Chias chicken s**" that's pretty good, right?

What are you arguing here, exactly? That I should be happy with the level of improvement shown, but not expect any more than that? You also want them to make a trade, so clearly you think there's more work to be done. I think you're just arguing to argue here.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Cool. He was coming on a lot more as of late right before his injury, and the coach appears to prefer him to Haas. Adds a much needed speed element to the bottom 6 to boot.

Consider me a Nygard fan. Wish Haas was getting chances higher in the lineup though.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Cool. He was coming on a lot more as of late right before his injury, and the coach appears to prefer him to Haas. Adds a much needed speed element to the bottom 6 to boot.

Consider me a Nygard fan. Wish Haas was getting chances higher in the lineup though.
I'm a fan of both Nygard and Haas. They are pretty tidy players who don't seem to make glaring defensive errors. Nygard was showing some offense. I'm with you with haas. I hope he gets re-signed too.

Reactions: Dr Awesome and 3IR

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

I mean, a solid meh.
I like the guy, and he’s okay as your average solid fringe bottom player. There’s room for him to improve, and at least he’s injured enough to give young guys a shot when he’s inevitably out at times next year.
Gotta admit though, there have been times this season when I’ve wondered if it wouldn’t have been better to have signed Paajarvi at the same price.

Last edited:

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
He's 27 years old though.

I don't really care about this, just seems like an odd move to re-up a guy mid-season who has barely played.
It's also his first year in NA and he's gotten better as the season went on. No reason to think he can't take another step after a full year in NA. Not that he isn't a servicable bottom 6 forward anyways at this point.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I mean, a solid meh.
I like the guy, and he’s okay as your average solid fringe bottom player. But I gotta admit, there have been times this year when I’ve wondered if it would have been better to have signed Paajarvi for the same price.

Sign both! Just dont re-sign PRussell.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
He's 27 years old though.

I don't really care about this, just seems like an odd move to re-up a guy mid-season who has barely played.
I think hes been solid and getting use to the NA game. He is also injured so its not a distraction to him either. Holland is trying to get ahead of the summer it seems.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For a team of "Chias chicken s**" that's pretty good, right?

What are you arguing here, exactly? That I should be happy with the level of improvement shown, but not expect any more than that? You also want them to make a trade, so clearly you think there's more work to be done. I think you're just arguing to argue here.

Lets reset...perhaps there has been a disconnect here.

If I am interpreting you correctly you are suggesting that Holland has failed so far....is that correct?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Missing the playoffs this year does nothing. Our core is locked in for the long haul. This is Holland and Tippetts first season as GM and coach, they're not going anywhere. The fans - the ones who are paying attention, and not prone to hissy fits on the internet - recognize the situation, and can see the progress. The owner will pay whatever needs to be paid to win.

Missing the playoffs changes nothing. There is no damage long term. We weren't supposed to make it this year anyways.

But it would suck. I hope we buy.
I disagree. There is psychological damage long term. Normally there wouldn't be but the Oilers have made the playoffs once since 2006 and once in McDavid's/Draisaitl's tenures. That weighs on guys and will certainly be a factor when their contracts are up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad