Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He's 27 years old though.

I don't really care about this, just seems like an odd move to re-up a guy mid-season who has barely played.

I’m thinking as in NHL games played...he seemed to get more comfortable as the season went on.

Sure seems like Holland wants his loose ends tied up quickly so he knows what kind of cash he’ll have moving forward.

Reactions: YakDavid

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m thinking as in NHL games played...he seemed to get more comfortable as the season went on.

Sure seems like Holland wants his loose ends tied up quickly so he knows what kind of cash he’ll have moving forward.
Hopefully Archi and Sheahan are done soon too. If we can get those 2 locked up for a reasonable amount I'd feel a lot better about our bottom 6 next year. I'm a little worried that our third line could be kind of meh if we don't score a really good #3C though.

Nygard Sheahan Archibald makes a solid 4th line imo, but our third line is looking like some combination of Chiasson, Neal, Khaira, Kassian, Haas (if re signed), Gagner (if re signed).

Reactions: Faelko

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really like the Nygard extension. Based on what I have seen so far I think he is worth having here for next season.
Especially at discounted price.
Little to no risk here.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
You know what’s even dumber than letting this season slip away? Also we haven’t played a single game yet and are in a good spot right now. Trading Puljuarvi’s rights for “a warm body”. Then continuing to shred down. You need those assets for summer, when you can actually get someone with term.

This season isn’t a disgrace, even if we miss, if you would have asked everyone here in September if in the middle of February if we were right in the playoff fight, and about a 6 point collapse away from starting to fall out of it, everyone would have taken that. Including our management.

Relax, not counting tonight’s game we have 2 games in hand on everyone around us, let’s play a few games before we panic.

You're talking like someone who expects this team to continuously improve. I hope we do, but you're blind if you don't see a huge opportunity this year. Go pay for a left winger who can play in your top six, and has term left. That need is still gonna be there next season.

Go get a veteran center who can play in your top six now, and drop down into your third line when Connor is healthy.

I suck at proposals, but for argument sake, let's say Haula is done on Carolina. (He was in the dog-house at points, and may or may not be available) Puljujarvi + a B Prospect for Haula.

Then use a first and additional assets to get a winger, for argument sake, let's say Tatar...

Then instead of being out of the playoffs again, and holding on to lottery tickets, you allow the team to stay above water in the short-term, and hope to have a great line-up when healthy.

If you make the deals and still miss the playoffs, sure you lost assets, but Tatar is back next year, and your current players aren't totally demoralized because a minor injury to McDavid made us throw in the towel.

Edmonton might be better next year, but theres 4 or 5 times below them that will probably get better too. I don't remember a year where the west was this wide open, and it would really sting to see the Flames or Canucks go deep in the playoffs because Holland wants to wait on getting 20 cents on the dollar on Puljujarvi, instead of settling for 15.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I disagree. There is psychological damage long term. Normally there wouldn't be but the Oilers have made the playoffs once since 2006 and once in McDavid's/Draisaitl's tenures. That weighs on guys and will certainly be a factor when their contracts are up.

This year isn't special. They missed last year, and they're better this year. They didn't whine or cry, or demand trades like some fans seem to always think they're going to do.

If the organization hadn't made sweeping changes to get better, maybe that's a different story. If they weren't competitive this season, maybe that's a different story. But they made those changes, and they are competitive. The team is competitive, they're in the race in mid February. That's more than most people expected this season. Missing the playoffs doesn't change that, and it doesn't cause some profound psychological trauma. That's absurd.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You're talking like someone who expects this team to continuously improve. I hope we do, but you're blind if you don't see a huge opportunity this year. Go pay for a left winger who can play in your top six, and has term left. That need is still gonna be there next season.

Go get a veteran center who can play in your top six now, and drop down into your third line when Connor is healthy.

I suck at proposals, but for argument sake, let's say Haula is done on Carolina. (He was in the dog-house at points, and may or may not be available) Puljujarvi + a B Prospect for Haula.

Then use a first and additional assets to get a winger, for argument sake, let's say Tatar...

Then instead of being out of the playoffs again, and holding on to lottery tickets, you allow the team to stay above water in the short-term, and hope to have a great line-up when healthy.

If you make the deals and still miss the playoffs, sure you lost assets, but Tatar is back next year, and your current players aren't totally demoralized because a minor injury to McDavid made us throw in the towel.

Edmonton might be better next year, but theres 4 or 5 times below them that will probably get better too. I don't remember a year where the west was this wide open, and it would really sting to see the Flames or Canucks go deep in the playoffs because Holland wants to wait on getting 20 cents on the dollar on Puljujarvi, instead of settling for 15.

Your talking like we’re not going to improve ever and we’ve peaked, we will be better next year, and even better then that the year after. I’ll list why. I don’t know if this recent winning streak has fooled people but we are not in the same conversation as the top teams.

Here’s why you don’t go all in this season and why we will improve going forward and then take a run
- our top 2 players aren’t even in their primes yet, we have a super young core still
- Yamamoto just started getting his feet wet and looks like he could be a long term solution in our top 6. Bouchard is having a terrific season in Bakersfield and I believe by this time next season we’re talking about a legit top 4 NHL defenseman.
- Holland will be able to turn Pulju into a similar prospect, or at least package him into a player that can help. There will be rebuilding teams who want to take a shot on him after this season.
- we are in cap hell until after next season, I’m not going to put the numbers here but I strongly suggest you check it out on cap friendly, you would be shocked how much dead space frees up after next season
- this is deep draft and grabbing a solid W or C prospect around say 18-22 if we were able to sneak in would go a long way for this team in the future

If the playoffs started today we line up with Vegas, 9 times out of 10 I’m taking Vegas in that matchup. Not to start even talking about the tougher teams in the central you face if by some miracle you get through our own division.

We aren’t a top team right now, and saying a team with a young core and cap problems won’t improve the next few years is foolish

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This year isn't special. They missed last year, and they're better this year. They didn't whine or cry, or demand trades like some fans seem to always think they're going to do.

If the organization hadn't made sweeping changes to get better, maybe that's a different story. If they weren't competitive this season, maybe that's a different story. But they made those changes, and they are competitive. The team is competitive, they're in the race in mid February. That's more than most people expected this season. Missing the playoffs doesn't change that, and it doesn't cause some profound psychological trauma. That's absurd.

One year wouldn't change that but year after year of missing the playoffs does weigh on players. Crosby/Malkin essentially signed for their whole careers in part due to Pittsburgh being consistently competitive. I don't think this year alone will lead to Draisaitl and/or McDavid leaving, but it certainly does not help.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do think that adding for the sake of adding is not the best idea

However, sometimes adding makes sense. Imo, we are a team that feels like there is a missing piece. Even when we were winning recently, it felt like a team playing while a major piece was injured, but no.

It just feels like a top six player would slot in and make the whole team make more sense. Just one. Two would overdo it imo. I like that the top six has players like Yamamoto and even Archibald/Kassian, but there is just one too many

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
The TSN brodcast crew at the WJC's, Bob McKenzie, and his OHL performance/accomplishments suggest otherwise. OHL coaches poll had him winning best hitter, best defensive dman, and 3rd best PKer in his conference and he made the OHL 3rd All Star team (i.e. top 6 dman in the league). Add that to leading OHL dman in scoring for the playoffs with an unreal 10 goals and 28 points in 24 games and i'm going to suggest he's a blue chipper. The dude has a complete skillset and immense physical gifts, he's got top 4 written all over him.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-prospect-update-dmitri-samorukov/

That's a blue chipper in my books.

While those are great accomplishments, him doing them as a 19 year old and one of the more veteran players in the league is a factor. All they show is that he is trending in the right direction from where he was drafted but he still doesn't have the sort of NHL upside that is required to be considered a blue chip prospect.

I'm guessing you also thought Bear was a blue chip prospect after his 2016-17 season as well?

Reactions: Samus44

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I keep seeing that Holland's track record says that he won't be doing much, but looking at the years he was running the show in Detroit, how much influence do you think Ilitch had? I'd be quicker to judge if he did the same thing with multiple teams, but perhaps a different view from ownership would make him act differently than he has in the past. Especially looking at the last too many years of the Oilers failure, I find it hard to believe that Katz wouldn't be pushing for him to make something happen if it feels right. I don't doubt he had that message for Chiarelli too, but you know.. Chiarelli.

I could be way wrong, but I am definitely not expecting Holland to sit on his hands. From what I've seen so far he seems to at least be inquiring on everyone.

Either way, I think the next week and a half leading up to the deadline will be interesting. I can't remember the league being this tight at this time of year. One loss could make a team a seller and surprising things could happen!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
While those are great accomplishments, him doing them as a 19 year old and one of the more veteran players in the league is a factor. All they show is that he is trending in the right direction from where he was drafted but he still doesn't have the sort of NHL upside that is required to be considered a blue chip prospect.

I'm guessing you also thought Bear was a blue chip prospect after his 2016-17 season as well?

Reasonable question but no, however in hindsight perhaps they should have been viewed that way. Jones played top pair at the WJC's and Bear was a WHL Dman of the year and both were highly productive players on good teams. A Blue Chipper isn't just elite lottery prospects, Jani Rita was once a consensus blue chipper, but to me are guys based on accomplishments and skill sets to be more likely a core guy than not. A core guy in general terms to me is a top 6 forward, top 4 D, or #1 Goalie. Quality guys have the upside to be a core player but are more likely based on indications to be short of that. I thought Bear and Jones were quality prospects like Kharia, Pitlick, Lander, Dubnyk, Marino (i liked him alot).

Samorukov has the size and toughness neither guy has/had at the time (Jones had a late growth spurt), he's a great skater (unlike Bear) and has a complete offensive and defensive skill set. He IMO had a more impressive last junior season than either, the OHL is a tougher league and he dominated the entire last half of it. He's not a Nurse or Bouchard level of prospect as he lacks the pedigree but i'd put him on par with Klefbom. He's developed pretty much as well as hoped and it's impossible to know what he'll become but the reasonable upside IMO is as a top 4 guy and I seem to be in good company thinking that.

So let me ask you something. Do you see him as a likely bet to play top 4 D in the NHL? If not why?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The reason you add now is to hold the line until McDavid can come back. I don't know why that's such a hard thing to understand.

We aren’t winning shit this year even with McDavid . So not sure why you want to give up assets that may help us win a few extra games .

The Oilers need 3 pieces maybe 4 to become contenders

1 top 6 winger maybe 2
3rd line C
A better top pairing D . Better as in better then Nurse or Klefbom

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You're talking about the overall results with McDavid. I'm looking at the 44% GF% with him off the ice and the poor 5v5 performance.

I can be pleased with the results without being under any illusions about what's driving them.

I some what agree so I am at a lost of words as why you want to trade the few assets we have for a few extra wins

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Your talking like we’re not going to improve ever and we’ve peaked, we will be better next year, and even better then that the year after. I’ll list why. I don’t know if this recent winning streak has fooled people but we are not in the same conversation as the top teams.

Here’s why you don’t go all in this season and why we will improve going forward and then take a run
- our top 2 players aren’t even in their primes yet, we have a super young core still
- Yamamoto just started getting his feet wet and looks like he could be a long term solution in our top 6. Bouchard is having a terrific season in Bakersfield and I believe by this time next season we’re talking about a legit top 4 NHL defenseman.
- Holland will be able to turn Pulju into a similar prospect, or at least package him into a player that can help. There will be rebuilding teams who want to take a shot on him after this season.
- we are in cap hell until after next season, I’m not going to put the numbers here but I strongly suggest you check it out on cap friendly, you would be shocked how much dead space frees up after next season
- this is deep draft and grabbing a solid W or C prospect around say 18-22 if we were able to sneak in would go a long way for this team in the future

If the playoffs started today we line up with Vegas, 9 times out of 10 I’m taking Vegas in that matchup. Not to start even talking about the tougher teams in the central you face if by some miracle you get through our own division.

We aren’t a top team right now, and saying a team with a young core and cap problems won’t improve the next few years is foolish

I did mention that I think we'll get better. But I think there's 4-5 teams who are perennial playoff teams that will improve too. If we made the playoffs 70% of the time, you lick your wounds and regroup. When you make the playoffs once every 15 years, and the conference you're in is WIDE OPEN, you do what you can to makes sure you get in this year.

You don't mortgage the future for rentals, but if it costs you Puljujarvi, a 1st, Samurokov/Jones and secondary pieces to get a top six winger with term (which you need regardless of McDavid's status) and a center who can help you now (Staal, Haula, Marleau, etc) then you have to do it.

Cap would obviously need to work, but assuming there are deals out there that work, it's really a bad idea to let the season get away.

There is no big bad wolf in the west this year. It's wide open. They have to use some bullets.

McDavid and Draisatl may not have reached their full potential, but that doesn't change the fact that they're still 2 of the best in the league. There is no guarantee that Bouchard works out. Waiting a year or two for the next group of prospects to graduate to the NHL might be at the cost of Nurse, Larsson and Hopkins among others.

You don't give up the first for a rental, I fully agree, but for someone who has term, I do it.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Time Holland makes a trade for a winger or a 3C. We need all the help we can get. Winning tonight was a step in the right direction. Now lets get more help

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Just pisses me off Bobby Burgers didn’t make his move letting Chia go in the summer. We would still have Strome and Drake and look a lot better. We might not have had Tippett though.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
You're talking about the overall results with McDavid. I'm looking at the 44% GF% with him off the ice and the poor 5v5 performance.

I can be pleased with the results without being under any illusions about what's driving them.
I am looking at 58% GF% with McDavid off the ice over the last 25 GP (January/February) and top 10 5v5 performance in the NHL in that same period.

This team was "saved" at 5v5 by McDavid in October, played decent 5v5 with/without him in November, slumped hard in December (bad with him, really bad without him) and has been playing very good 5v5 since the beginning of January (edit: actually better without him than with him...).

The December slump is basically what skews the overall numbers for the team as a whole. The extreme slow start of our bottom 9 in October skews the with/without McDavid numbers.

(source naturalstatrick)

5v5 - 2019/2020 October - February
McDavid 50.96 GF%
Team 46.44 GF%
Team w.o. McDavid 42.96 GF%

5v5 - 2019/2020 November - February
McDavid 45.00 GF%
Team 45.50 GF%
Team w.o. McDavid 45.87 GF%
- i.e. remove October and the discrepancy between McDavid and the rest goes away. The reason for the low GF% number in general is because of the December slump.

5v5 - 2019/2020 October, November, January - February

McDavid 55.00 GF%
Team 50.82 GF%
Team w.o. McDavid 45.65 GF%
- i.e. remove December and the team 5v5 GF% does not look that bad. The reason for the difference in with/without McDavid is because of the bottom 9's slow start in October.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samus44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad