Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Maybe an off-season trade, but I like Sam Bennett as a bottom 6 option. I think he will always be a player who is miscast in Calgary simply because of his draft pedigree, and that relationship most likely ends in a divorce. I think he's an effective bottom 6 player who might moonlight as a 2nd line winger some time later in his career. He's also one of the few forwards on Calgary, aside from Tkachuk, who seems to have a give a **** meter when the intensity rises.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
To be honest, I don't love the thought of Athanasiou. Maybe as a 3rd line player, but I prefer defensively responsible players in the bottom-6, and he doesn't seem to have the IQ to play with McDavid.

McDavid doesn't just need fast wingers. He needs wingers who are smart, can drive to the net, can finish, and can feed him the puck when he's flying up the ice.

I feel like Zucker would be ideal there. (Noel Gunler?)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be honest, I don't love the thought of Athanasiou. Maybe as a 3rd line player, but I prefer defensively responsible players in the bottom-6, and he doesn't seem to have the IQ to play with McDavid.

McDavid doesn't just need fast wingers. He needs wingers who are smart, can drive to the net, can finish, and can feed him the puck when he's flying up the ice.

I feel like Zucker would be ideal there. (Noel Gunler?)

He's fast, has good size, can play physical and has shown the ability to finish. I could think of a lot worse options and unlike some other options he's not a pending UFA.

Oct 15, 2017
Get Danault and Tatar from MTL.
Theres a 1st LW and 3C probably dont gotto give up a 1st.
Like you would for AA or JPG

(JP, JJ, Lagesson, K.Russell and a 2nd) ?!?!

Reactions: Aerchon

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
He's fast, has good size, can play physical and has shown the ability to finish. I could think of a lot worse options and unlike some other options he's not a pending UFA.

It depends on the return, and he would be better than most players on our team. I just don't think he would be a good fit with McDavid. I would prefer to keep some assets to find someone else, but he's definitely a good consolation prize if no one else is available.

Reactions: AT14C

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You could play Hall on the third line and have three lines that could absolutely smash the competition.

Yeah Hall on the third line would be deadly. Too bad we can't afford that situation after this season.

If JP could have produced half of Ratboy or Laine's production... he'd be invaluable to our lineup this season.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Kase and Haula please.

Kase-McDavid-Kassian
Hopkins-Draisatl-Yamamoto
Benson-Haula-Neal
Archibald-Sheahan-Chiasson
Gagner/Haas/Nygard

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning
Russell

Koskinen
Smith

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I get the sense it's not necessarily just scoring that we need - we have scoring. It's the blend of scoring and puck possession.

At 5v5, this Oilers team is only at a 47.98% Corsi. The powerplay has driven us to a playoff spot - to be better though we need guys who can push the river at even strength to keep the pressure on.

This is why Kailer Yamamoto was so huge (despite being small!) - he has enough skill and forechecking ability to give our big guns more kicks at the can at 5v5 and draws penalties as well. He battles and he makes smart plays off-the-rush AND with sustained zone pressure. He's helped our possession numbers improve in the last ten games or so. The Oilers have been rolling a 50.65% Corsi at 5v5 in that time.

Andreas Athanasiou is not the right fit for that reason. He's always been more of a quick on-the-rush guy with a lack of defensive ability or ability to win battles to hold onto the puck or get it back. He used to be able to at least fulfill the drawing penalties side of the game - he drew 29 penalties last year - but this year Detroit really needed him to take a big role and he's only drawn 12 so far, which is not a bad number, but not good enough for a guy who is all about speed.

Athanasiou is probably a better goal scorer than the lackluster 5 goals he has put up but it's not the guy we need with McDavid.

Who leads the Anaheim Ducks in penalties drawn? Ondrej Kase, with 17. Kase also has been above a 52% Corsi all four years of his career so far. Injuries make him a risk but this is the type of guy I'd rather go out and acquire - he can keep possession and give Connor more chances at a time to make plays. He's also not a defensive liability.

Brandon Saad has been doing it for years and is a very valuable player in his own right - and a cup winner in part because of that. It's guys like that who I'd rather acquire.

There are many pieces to the puzzle to win the cup - we've got good special teams, scoring ability - goaltending is a heavy variable right now. Possession is our weakest statistic at the moment.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Get Danault and Tatar from MTL.
Theres a 1st LW and 3C probably dont gotto give up a 1st.
Like you would for AA or JPG

(JP, JJ, Lagesson, K.Russell and a 2nd) ?!?!
Tatar was pasted on the bench in his last playoff appearance if you last recalled. He was pretty much useless garbage. Let's not repeat the same mistake like LV.

"On 26 February 2018, Tatar was traded to the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a first-round pick in 2018, a second-round pick in 2019 and a third-round pick in 2021. During the 2018 playoffs, Tatar played in eight games, tallying one goal and one assist."

1st, 2nd, and third.........that's what it takes to get a useless piece of work. That first was Joe Veleno. Nice job vegas for pissing away a legit prospect for a rental.

Last edited:

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
All the talk about getting a top six, one of Filip Forsberg or Victor Arvidsson would be nice.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Kase and Haula please.

Kase-McDavid-Kassian
Hopkins-Draisatl-Yamamoto
Benson-Haula-Neal
Archibald-Sheahan-Chiasson
Gagner/Haas/Nygard

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Benning
Russell

Koskinen
Smith
These are possible targets...Kase available now ....and rumors of carolina doing something between the end of the year and free agency...maybe before the draft....who knows....maybe he becomes available...
What price do you pay for Kase(will these two teams even trade--risky for GMs)?
In what manner do you acquire Haula? They are unlikely to sell their third line centre now as they are definitely in the hunt still!

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Poile has made a splash many times.....but its almost always been for players ...not futures...
True, but this time, he needs to rethink his strategy or he'll won't have a job soon. Predators need to do the right thing and be sellers or they can join the Sharks, Kings and Ducks and be cellar dwellers for years to come.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This team already has 2 top 6 players in Benson and Yamamoto. I don't think they really need to use assets to acquire players from outside the org.

For depth players up front, there's Marody/Gambardella/Currie who are all hungry to show what they can do at the NHL level.

On D, there's already Lagesson/Persson/Bouchard who are more than capable of contributing to the roster and will play their roles well.

You also have Samorukov and Day down in Bako who are better than many give them credit for.

Also the nice thing about staying with internal options is that these "home grown" options likely have a little more loyalty to the org rather than outsiders who are only here because they were traded here and often likely have one foot out the door as soon as they get here.

I've been of the mind that this team is a ~100 pt team all season long based on what this team has within the org now and honestly I haven't seen anything so far that's made me deviate from that.

The injection of home grown talent like Yamamoto has provided to the roster should definitely be an illuminating factor in determining whether to "stick with the program" and inject more talent from Bako into the lineup vs spending assets and getting questionable assets from elsewhere.

We also saw how the seemingly small deletion of Benning from the roster adversely affected the overall roster. It's not a coincidence that the team played better before he was hurt and again played better after he returned to the lineup as well.

That is one example of how a lineup is "fragile" and that you need just the right mix of players in each position so that everyone up and down the lineup is ideally playing the right role on the correct wing/d-side and with suitable minutes... and only then will the team excel. When players are out of the lineup or in the wrong roles or eating too many minutes... that reverberates throughout the lineup and affects the team in ways you wouldn't even think it might and in such a tight, parity entrenched league... wins turns to losses in a hurry and vice versa when the lineup is constructed more optimally.

I actually hope Holland and Tippett stick with the program they are building in Bako and use the strengths they have down there... and this team will be better for it and will glide into the playoffs with the personnel they already have in the org.

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
This team already has 2 top 6 players in Benson and Yamamoto. I don't think they really need to use assets to acquire players from outside the org.

For depth players up front, there's Marody/Gambardella/Currie who are all hungry to show what they can do at the NHL level.

On D, there's already Lagesson/Persson/Bouchard who are more than capable of contributing to the roster and will play their roles well.

You also have Samorukov and Day down in Bako who are better than many give them credit for.

Also the nice thing about staying with internal options is that these "home grown" options likely have a little more loyalty to the org rather than outsiders who are only here because they were traded here and often likely have one foot out the door as soon as they get here.

I've been of the mind that this team is a ~100 pt team all season long based on what this team has within the org now and honestly I haven't seen anything so far that's made me deviate from that.

The injection of home grown talent like Yamamoto has provided to the roster should definitely be an illuminating factor in determining whether to "stick with the program" and inject more talent from Bako into the lineup vs spending assets and getting questionable assets from elsewhere.

We also saw how the seemingly small deletion of Benning from the roster adversely affected the overall roster. It's not a coincidence that the team played better before he was hurt and again played better after he returned to the lineup as well.

That is one example of how a lineup is "fragile" and that you need just the right mix of players in each position so that everyone up and down the lineup is ideally playing the right role on the correct wing/d-side and with suitable minutes... and only then will the team excel. When players are out of the lineup or in the wrong roles or eating too many minutes... that reverberates throughout the lineup and affects the team in ways you wouldn't even think it might and in such a tight, parity entrenched league... wins turns to losses in a hurry and vice versa when the lineup is constructed more optimally.

I actually hope Holland and Tippett stick with the program they are building in Bako and use the strengths they have down there... and this team will be better for it and will glide into the playoffs with the personnel they already have in the org.

If Benson plays like a legit top-6 player, we still won't have a capable 3rd line center though.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
True, but this time, he needs to rethink his strategy or he'll won't have a job soon. Predators need to do the right thing and be sellers or they can join the Sharks, Kings and Ducks and be cellar dwellers for years to come.
Who are you to second guess the longest serving ...and extremely successful GM in the modern age...he has out manouvered almost everyone...
Very successful at drafting and he has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds ...while his main players arent 22 they are in their mid to late twenties for the most part... and he has a few players prospects coming???
His team is nothing like the sharks or kings...or ducks...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If Benson plays like a legit top-6 player, we still won't have a capable 3rd line center though.

I keep saying it . McLeod will be a better NHLer then an AHLer . Speed, size, defensively responsible and he was a late cut in training camp . Now I would prefer getting a cheap option for this year and next but if we have to over pay call McLeod up and see what we have

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe an off-season trade, but I like Sam Bennett as a bottom 6 option. I think he will always be a player who is miscast in Calgary simply because of his draft pedigree, and that relationship most likely ends in a divorce. I think he's an effective bottom 6 player who might moonlight as a 2nd line winger some time later in his career. He's also one of the few forwards on Calgary, aside from Tkachuk, who seems to have a give a **** meter when the intensity rises.

he is on a good contract and I do no see the flames moving him--for what he does he is perfectly paid

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I keep saying it . McLeod will be a better NHLer then an AHLer . Speed, size, defensively responsible and he was a late cut in training camp . Now I would prefer getting a cheap option for this year and next but if we have to over pay call McLeod up and see what we have

I see a bigger chance that McLeod will be the 3 answer, than Benson becoming the missing LW in top 6.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
With the amount of times Jim Matheson brings up AA from Detroit.. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad