Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah gotta figure they will move Drai to 1st line C, and RNH to 2nd line C.

Playoffs are gonna be ridiculously hard now though. Likely miss out.
I think they'd be better off giving Haas a bigger role and keeping that top line together. Haas deserves a bigger chance and IMO the team needs great special teams and a top line that can cleanly win a 3rd of the game to be good. Cave can hopefully play low event 4C and the Sheahan-Archibald duo can keep doing their thing as a checking line. I'd go with this for tommorow and hope the other team has trouble scoring against a defensively sound team.

Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
Gagner Haas Russell
Archibald Sheahan Kassian
Kharia Cave Chiasson

After that if it was my call I'd probably call up Granlund. He's been doing well in the AHL and i'd like to see if him Haas and Russell can rediscover the chemistry they had earlier. A vet who knows the league is maybe better than Benson, who's inexperienced, if the goal is to keep things close at evens and try to win with the top line and special teams. Put Gagner on the 4th line with Cave and Chiasson and this team may survive with 3 dependable veteran 4th lines who can check and chip in a bit. This team can't beat top lines without 2 of the big 3 being together and IMO the biggest difference this year for the Oilers up front has been the depth of capable NHLers to fill in and keep things respectable when none of the big 3 are on the ice.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
If he's gone for the season they should sell everything that isn't nailed down at the DL.

If it's 2-3 weeks as stated, they need to make a trade today. They can't let the playoffs slip away.

There's zero guarantee that any addition we make pushes the needle forward. So many teams in the past have been burnt by giving up significant future assets chasing flashy names. Let it play out a bit and better assess what moves you might want to make. Don't rush the timeline and make a foolish trade you might regret for years.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There's zero guarantee that any addition we make pushes the needle forward. So many teams in the past have been burnt by giving up significant future assets chasing flashy names. Let it play out a bit and better assess what moves you might want to make. Don't rush the timeline and make a foolish trade you might regret for years.

Except that the team needs have been glaringly obvious since Day One of the season. There's nothing to assess, all that's changed is the level of urgency. What's the benefit of waiting? The prices aren't going to change all that much in the next two weeks. All you do by waiting is risk the team dropping in the standings.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's unlikely he'd waive for Edmonton anyway. But Anaheim is clearly selling and has a few players Edmonton could use.

He's from Saskatchewan, played junior in Calgary, and his brother played for the Eskimos. I have a hard time thinking it's that unlikely he'd go home to the Prairies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Except that the team needs have been glaringly obvious since Day One of the season. There's nothing to assess, all that's changed is the level of urgency. What's the benefit of waiting? The prices aren't going to change all that much in the next two weeks. All you do by waiting is risk the team dropping in the standings.

Well i think Holland is searching but waiting to pull the trigger on a deal that makes sense for this team not only now but long term. I think he's more interested in the long term health of the org than this one season. And i do think he and tippett are interested in seeing how this team will react and step up or not facing the current adversity.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not sure what "letting it play out" means here. If you don't think they should trade for some help, then we have radically different notions about what this team is because they needed help before McDavid went down. This just reinforces that need.
I simply mean that panic should not set in. This is not directed at you but there are a lot of "the season is over" posts on here right now. Of course if a trade is there that makes sense go for it. But it should not be predicated solely on trying to mitigate the injury.

Reactions: HK97

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I simply mean that panic should not set in. This is not directed at you but there are a lot of "the season is over" posts on here right now. Of course if a trade is there that makes sense go for it. But it should not be predicated solely on trying to mitigate the injury.

It should at least heighten the urgency to address a need that needed addressing a long time ago. There's literally no reason I can think of to wait until the DL.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well i think Holland is searching but waiting to pull the trigger on a deal that makes sense for this team not only now but long term. I think he's more interested in the long term health of the org than this one season.

Letting this season slip through their fingers because they don't want to gamble futures would be a horrible look.

And i do think he and tippett are interested in seeing how this team will react and step up or not facing the current adversity.

That's a great cover for them not doing a damn thing, which I think was and is their plan anyway.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Letting this season slip through their fingers because they don't want to gamble futures would be a horrible look.

That's a great cover for them not doing a damn thing, which I think was and is their plan anyway.

Holland honestly does not make a lot of trades. We have seen the other side of this with desperate GM's once injuries pile up - Caggulia for Manning is a prime example of this.

This was not the year to win a cup, not saying roll over and die but this is not the time to sell off the future because McD is out for a week or two.

Reactions: HK97

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

I think Holland is just not letting the injury force him into something potentially foolish. He's staying status quo and not panicking. He'll make what he thinks is the right move when he's good and ready. A sign of a good GM. Not like Chia who panics and inexplicably trades cagguila for manning. Other gms won't just automatically soften up and make you an easy trade just because you lost your best player. if anything the trades get more difficult.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hopefully they can still get a few wins while McDavid is out.

It’s hard to be optimistic about it, but one thing the Oilers have learned that other teams haven’t is that it’s always nice to have a backup best player in the world for when yours goes down.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Holland honestly does not make a lot of trades. We have seen the other side of this with desperate GM's once injuries pile up - Caggulia for Manning is a prime example of this.

There are other options than "bad trade" and "do nothing."

This was not the year to win a cup, not saying roll over and die but this is not the time to sell off the future because McD is out for a week or two.

IMO missing the playoffs this year will do more damage long term than trading a 1st round pick.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think Holland is just not letting the injury force him into something potentially foolish. He's staying status quo and not panicking. He'll make what he thinks is the right move when he's good and ready. A sign of a good GM. Not like Chia who panics and inexplicably trades cagguila for manning.

Any idiot can sit back, do nothing and then make excuses after the fact. A sign of a good GM is a guy who gets things done and improves his team.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Any idiot can sit back, do nothing and then make excuses after the fact. A sign of a good GM is a guy who gets things done and improves his team.
Other gms won't just automatically soften up and make you an easy trade just because you lost your best player. if anything the trades get more difficult. You make it sound like trades that are good for your team long term are easy to make....

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
There are other options than "bad trade" and "do nothing."

IMO missing the playoffs this year will do more damage long term than trading a 1st round pick.

Not this years draft pick, the draft is very good and loaded with good forwards, something we lack big time. Next year's first maybe. Far too high a risk to trade that pick now that McD is out, especially because I think we are giving up our 3rd to Calgary.

I do not disagree that we should make a move though. But the move might not be a big mover and shaker. It depends on what the value of Pullijarvi + another prospect(or Gagner) is worth.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Donato would be a decent buy low, low risk guy at this point, with Minny selling.
Good opportunity to see if he can crack it in a top six role, and if he can’t, he’s still a solid and cheap 3C moving forward.
Same arguments for Denis Malgin from Florida if the panthers start to sell.
Or Girgensons or Vesey from Buffalo.

You get the gist. Cheap centerish fellows who can get a prime shot now to hold the breach, and are still handy to have around moving forward, without costing a bunch of assets if we start to nosedive.

Last edited:

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Missing the playoffs this year does nothing. Our core is locked in for the long haul. This is Holland and Tippetts first season as GM and coach, they're not going anywhere. The fans - the ones who are paying attention, and not prone to hissy fits on the internet - recognize the situation, and can see the progress. The owner will pay whatever needs to be paid to win.

Missing the playoffs changes nothing. There is no damage long term. We weren't supposed to make it this year anyways.

But it would suck. I hope we buy.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Other gms won't just automatically soften up and make you an easy trade just because you lost your best player. if anything the trades get more difficult. You make it sound like trades that are good for your team long term are easy to make....

He gets paid $5M a year to deliver results, not excuses.

Not this years draft pick, the draft is very good and loaded with good forwards, something we lack big time. Next year's first maybe. Far too high a risk to trade that pick now that McD is out, especially because I think we are giving up our 3rd to Calgary.

It's always next year here. Unless we're talking about a Barzal quality player in the middle of the draft who can step in and make an immediate impact, that player is at least a few years away from making a difference.

Missing the playoffs this year does nothing. Our core is locked in for the long haul. This is Holland and Tippetts first season as GM and coach, they're not going anywhere. The fans - the ones who are paying attention, and not prone to hissy fits on the internet - recognize the situation, and can see the progress. The owner will pay whatever needs to be paid to win.

Missing the playoffs changes nothing. There is no damage long term. We weren't supposed to make it this year anyways.

But it would suck. I hope we buy.

Yeah I mean players would love to come to a cold northern Canadian city to play for a team that hasn't made the playoffs exactly once in 14 seasons.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
He gets paid $5M a year to deliver results, not excuses.

It's always next year here.

Yeah I mean players would love to come to a cold northern Canadian city to play for a team that hasn't made the playoffs exactly once in 14 seasons.

getting paid 5 mil doesn't mean he can hypnotize other gms into a trade. GMing is more than trades. it's proper drafting, player development... both which are actually more important in long term success than trades.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
getting paid 5 mil doesn't mean he can hypnotize other gms into a trade. GMing is more than trades. it's proper drafting, player development... both which are actually more important in long term success than trades.

Yeah and looking at Holland's track record in all these things in the cap era does not fill me with confidence.

Now would be a great time to prove that the people who said he is yesterday's man were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad