Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Its a temporary situation and we see players step up for short stints all the time. Sometimes even the most unlikely of players.
Ultimately though they have to all make sure they are pulling on the same side of the rope. Commit to team play.
So they step up as a group.
They tighten up their play with and without the puck.
They need to keep the games low scoring to have a chance to win.

They have to completely embrace and execute Tippets system as a group.

I want to see how that plays out.

You probably wont accept this possibility but this situation could actually galvanize this team.
Adversity tends to do that.

bingo. sometimes adversity brings the group closer together and they develop that strong team culture, identity and unity down the road. I hope this is one of those times.

Reactions: guymez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
bingo. sometimes adversity brings the group closer together and they develop that strong team culture, identity and unity down the road. I hope this is one of those times.
Key word there is sometimes. You also need to have players that have the ability to bring it with that adversity. Most of our lineup has proved throughout their careers that they can't

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Key word there is sometimes. You also need to have players that have the ability to bring it with that adversity. Most of our lineup has proved throughout their careers that they can't
You are positively gleeful over the news today. I wonder if you can focus for the rest of the day give your excitement.

Reactions: Bones2079

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yeah...you shouldnt watch any games until next season.
Its a fait accompli.
It (the season) is done...no reason to watch. ;)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

It's a learning and confirmation process here.... If they play hard and play really well team wise and still lose close games where they can't score then it obviously points to a potential need for more offence (depending on how long a stretch connor is gone for). We don't know for certain this team flat out cannot step up their game without their top guy. It's very possible they cannot step it up enough. Either way, the org will learn some things about some players on this team moving forward.

I'm just hoping they'll finally learn to play a solid consistent team defence game and put in the urgency and effort and sometimes teams that suffocate the opposition this way (with hard checking and team D) will generate surprising amounts of offence from the strong defence. Work harder and together as a 5 five unit all over the ice and doesn't matter who scores but the puck finds the net.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Granlund probably could and Athanasiou as well. But the more likely scenario is Nuge switch to C for the 10 or so games.

Good call on both.

I'd love for Holland to make a move for one of them, slot them in at #2C, keep the Nuge/Drai/Yamo line together and then have them slide over to LW when McDavid is back.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That stretch was likely more due to horrendous goaltending than lack of scoring. And of course it is absolutely possible that they don't win many. But I think it would be prudent to let it play out because even without McDavid this team is capable of 8 points in 10 games on a regular basis is they get even average goal tending. It's juts that kind of league.

I'm not sure what "letting it play out" means here. If you don't think they should trade for some help, then we have radically different notions about what this team is because they needed help before McDavid went down. This just reinforces that need.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Fine. If we manage 1 point in the 2 games I'll stop being negative while McDavid is injured.

giphy.gif

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I'm not sure what "letting it play out" means here. If you don't think they should trade for some help, then we have radically different notions about what this team is because they needed help before McDavid went down. This just reinforces that need.

Connor's inury, depending on how long he'll really be out for (Holland likely knows better and as a couple of us had said it wouldn't surprise us if he's gone for the season), might have an affect on whether a trade is made. If Holland doesn't believe this team has a great shot without connor (to go deep in the playoffs) they might not want to spend anything for this year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Connor's inury, depending on how long he'll really be out for (Holland likely knows better and as a couple of us had said it wouldn't surprise us if he's gone for the season), might have an affect on whether a trade is made. If Holland doesn't believe this team has a great shot without connor (to go deep in the playoffs) they might not want to spend anything for this year.

If he's gone for the season they should sell everything that isn't nailed down at the DL.

If it's 2-3 weeks as stated, they need to make a trade today. They can't let the playoffs slip away.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I was just thinking about our TDL acquisitions from 2016. Who else did we bring in other than David Desharnais. Was he the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad