Round Two

SJ or Vegas?

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
my feeling is that they'll keep G in red until the last practice before gm 1 and then he'll take a full practice and then start in the next series.

Yeah, I mean Bednar kept saying he was close and getting better after each game against the Flames. I don't think that was all a misdirection, though I'm sure some of it was.

If he isn't ready for game 1 with all this time off, that's a little concerning. Maybe they should consider shutting him down so he doesn't tear anything else in that shoulder.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, I mean Bednar kept saying he was close and getting better after each game against the Flames. I don't think that was all a misdirection, though I'm sure some of it was.

If he isn't ready for game 1 with all this time off, that's a little concerning. Maybe they should consider shutting him down so he doesn't tear anything else in that shoulder.
Who really knows? Thank Jebus for Makar

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Vegas has the personnel to impact our transition-game & breakouts. Barrie, Makar, Girard, MacK & Jimmothy are going to make it hard for a lot of teams to prevent us from breaking into the offensive zone with speed, but one of the best ways to neutralize them is with a forecheck fast enough to disrupt things in our own zone. And Vegas is going to pose a lot more of a challenge in that respect, than would SJ.

This is all true, but yet the Avs record against SJ is atrocious, and they actually play pretty evenly against Vegas.

Avs are 0-3 against the Sharks this year (also 1-13-5 in SJ over the last ten years) but were 2-1 against Vegas. 3-3 overall against Vegas since they entered the league.

Personally I'd prefer the Vegas matchup. I think Vegas has a better shot at the Cup, but the Avs have a better shot at beating them than SJ.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
The west has really opened up for us. Though I don't expect it because Vegas would be the worst matchup in the west for us if we face them in the next round.

I don't want to look too far ahead, but my gut tells me that Dallas is the worst matchup in the west for the Avs.

Reactions: Avsboy

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
This is all true, but yet the Avs record against SJ is atrocious, and they actually play pretty evenly against Vegas.

Avs are 0-3 against the Sharks this year (also 1-13-5 in SJ over the last ten years) but were 2-1 against Vegas. 3-3 overall against Vegas since they entered the league.

Personally I'd prefer the Vegas matchup. I think Vegas has a better shot at the Cup, but the Avs have a better shot at beating them than SJ.

We were 0-2-1 vs Calgary and that turned out ok. Not to mention the 3rd loss we had against San Jose I wouldn't really hold in very high regard as it was a meaningless game.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We were 0-2-1 vs Calgary and that turned out ok. Not to mention the 3rd loss we had against San Jose I wouldn't really hold in very high regard as it was a meaningless game.

Yeah, it's more that the Avs have always have trouble against the Sharks, especially in SJ. Plus the nightmare series they played last time still sticks in my head, where it almost seemed destined they were gonna lose. Couldn't catch any breaks, and couldn't score. Had four goals in the final four games. That was obviously a different team then though.

Avs are 2-5-1 against the Sharks under Bednar. Would love to see them turn that around though. I keep having this feeling like the Sharks key players are going to show their age at some point, but who knows.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Girard is finally shooting at practice but his shot looks weak as hell. That being said, his shot has always been bad so I’m not sure what to think of it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Girard is finally shooting at practice but his shot looks weak as hell. That being said, his shot has always been bad so I’m not sure what to think of it.

I think it's more that he's still taking it easy. He was barely going through the motions in some of the clips I saw a bit ago. Probably still the case a little bit. If he was close to 100%, he'd be testing himself by putting everything into his shots, and we'd be saying, "yeah he looks ready."

Still got 2-3 more days left though before the next game. Maybe he ramps it up the day before.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The question is, who do you take out of the lineup if we do get Girard back.

I know the easiest answer is to go with 7D, but that means someone likely gets very little ice time as Bednar probably ends up getting the 3 pairs he likes together and rolling them more than anything. But at the same time Nemeth, Cole... both guys were excellent in round 1, Zadorov had some mistakes but his physical game was also no question important in the first round and will be needed in the 2nd round as well.

So, what do you do? I guess you roll 7D but I dont love that. I do love the fact we're in a situation where we have 7 legit Dmen on the team right now. To the point where all 7 guys played like Top 4 Level Dmen in the first round I thought. What a welcome problem to have.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
The question is, who do you take out of the lineup if we do get Girard back.

I know the easiest answer is to go with 7D, but that means someone likely gets very little ice time as Bednar probably ends up getting the 3 pairs he likes together and rolling them more than anything. But at the same time Nemeth, Cole... both guys were excellent in round 1, Zadorov had some mistakes but his physical game was also no question important in the first round and will be needed in the 2nd round as well.

So, what do you do? I guess you roll 7D but I dont love that. I do love the fact we're in a situation where we have 7 legit Dmen on the team right now. To the point where all 7 guys played like Top 4 Level Dmen in the first round I thought. What a welcome problem to have.

I forget who it was, but I liked the idea of rolling with 7D and using one of them (probably Nemeth) in PK situations.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We lost every game this year against the Flames and crushed them in the playoffs. Our regular season record against the Sharks doesn't bother me in the slightest, I still take them over Vegas any day of the week in a 7 game series.

Reactions: Murzu

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I forget who it was, but I liked the idea of rolling with 7D and using one of them (probably Nemeth) in PK situations.

See I dunno. It's the easiest solution but if you're only giving Nemeth 5-6 minutes a night with 4-5 of those minutes being on the Penalty Kill I just feel like you're going to make him a lot less effective being out of the game that long and then having to jump in cold to go kill penalties.

Especially on Defense you want your guys playing a regular shift and getting at least 10-12 minutes a night I think. I almost believe if you're only going to play Nemeth the 5-6 minutes a night you'd be better off sitting him and giving those minutes to a forward.

But who knows. I think that while its a very welcome situation to be in where we're complaining about having far to much depth... I definitely do think its a real problem that needs to be figured out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad