Post-Game Talk: Round Robin #1 - Hibernation Continues - Team of Gritty 4 BRUINS 1 F

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This RTP has reflected poorly on Cassidy IMO. There's clearly way too much rust there relative to other teams and he's already losing his temper after 1 (legitimate) game.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This RTP has reflected poorly on Cassidy IMO. There's clearly way too much rust there relative to other teams and he's already losing his temper after 1 (legitimate) game.
Yeah but how can you blame him for not being prepared when the bruins have had at one time up to 9 guys missing from practice?

Reactions: OV and Strafer

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah but how can you blame him for not being prepared when the bruins have had at one time up to 9 guys missing from practice?
The worst performers in the two games have been the defense and their play with the puck. They've all practiced pretty consistently.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The worst performers in the two games have been the defense and their play with the puck. They've all practiced pretty consistently.
Fair enough, I think practicing with non regulars would still effect them, but I would again fail to see how the defense playing poorly is solely on Bruce. Seems like that's a defenseman issue instead.

Reactions: Strafer

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Fair enough, I think practicing with non regulars would still effect them, but I would again fail to see how the defense playing poorly is solely on Bruce. Seems like that's a defenseman issue instead.
I'm not saying it's all on him, but there's certainly a clear lack of preparation given what the team looked like the first two games.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bjork should stay in the lineup, he and Coyle work very well together, just haven't had the counting stats to show for it in these two games. Other than that, they need to shuffle the middle 6. The top line needs a huge wake up call too honestly, they were probably the worst forward line yesterday.

2 more games to sort this out. It's fine if they go 0-3 and get the 4th seed, it's just how they're playing right now. They will get shredded by a team coming from the qualifying round playing like this.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Bjork should stay in the lineup, he and Coyle work very well together, just haven't had the counting stats to show for it in these two games. Other than that, they need to shuffle the middle 6. The top line needs a huge wake up call too honestly, they were probably the worst forward line yesterday.

2 more games to sort this out. It's fine if they go 0-3 and get the 4th seed, it's just how they're playing right now. They will get shredded by a team coming from the qualifying round playing like this.

Bjork and Coyle will be fine if they get a second winger on the line that can show anything. Kuhlman is not that guy

Reactions: JoeyBananas and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Agreed. It's not the loss that stings, it's the miserable failure on the eye test. Two games now of fumbling and kicking pucks, duffing shots (when they finally decide to take one), and being caught miles out of position on the wrong side of the ice. There's a lot to fix and not much time to do it.

I also liked Bjork and Coyle. They had some jam near the net, and Bjork was the only one to visibly show his disappointment. Sometimes, after a bad game, it helps to see that they care too.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Bjork and Coyle will be fine if they get a second winger on the line that can show anything. Kuhlman is not that guy
I like Kuhlman but the Bruins already have too many players similar to him in the lineup . I doubt Cassidy takes out Wagner or Nordstrom. Add Ritchie and Kase , maybe Clifton and Rask and we could see a vastly different team on Wednesday.

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL
Only good things to say:

1. It's not a do-or-die round. There is time, but not much, to straighten things out. It stinks that while most of the games I've seen have been close at the end, ours was a runaway.

2. I had a nice plate of wings and rings(along with half a dozen pints) at my preferred Bruins spot, Buff's(which is now taking...credit cards. The Citizens Bank space across the street is now empty, an unfortunate trend, i.e., the Rox Diner in Newtonville).
Buffs takes credit cards now? Say it ain't so

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Every year the Bs go through a stretch where they look terrible and folks freak out and say they won't be able to turn on the light switch in time.....then they do.

Same folks that freak out when the pats defense sucks the first 4-6 weeks of the season, then go quiet when they turn it around and dominate the 2nd half of the year.

Short memories, a need to freak out, whatever it is, it always makes me chuckle.

It's been 2 essentially meaningless games. Not worried.

JoeyBananas

Aug 24, 2018
I like Kuhlman but the Bruins already have too many players similar to him in the lineup . I doubt Cassidy takes out Wagner or Nordstrom. Add Ritchie and Kase , maybe Clifton and Rask and we could see a vastly different team on Wednesday.

Not sure what Kase would add at this point (besides embellishment penalties), but I do like Ritchie in for Kuhlman. Move Kuhlman to the 4th line and sit Nordstrom. Or, give Frederic a shot on the 4th line.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Bjork and Coyle need to play with a shooter. Both of them are more possession/pass first players. Putting in Kase is the simplest option, but you could also drop DeBrusk down. Besides the lack of effort, the bigger issue yesterday was a lack of attacking the net and shooting. That's something that Kase brings when he's healthy.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL
Why are people so quick to drop Bjork from the lineup. Wasn't he the one who drew the first 2 penalties (not that it definitively shows a good game) and also had one of the better scoring chances. I thought Coyle looked ok/good and Bjork looked fine.

If we want to look at someone to take out of the lineup, how about Krejci or Debrusk (obviously can't take Krejci out but he was invisible). Is this even a true second line anymore?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I forgot that you can play Ritchie on the 4th line in place of Nordstrom if need be. We have enough PKers. I would try this vs. Tampa if Ritchie/Kase are available:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Bjork-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner

TinyRivers

Jun 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
Agreed. It's not the loss that stings, it's the miserable failure on the eye test. Two games now of fumbling and kicking pucks, duffing shots (when they finally decide to take one), and being caught miles out of position on the wrong side of the ice. There's a lot to fix and not much time to do it.

I also liked Bjork and Coyle. They had some jam near the net, and Bjork was the only one to visibly show his disappointment. Sometimes, after a bad game, it helps to see that they care too.
It has looked to me in these 2 games, like we had little to no possession. We can't win if we don't have possession.

Reactions: BMC

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I forgot that you can play Ritchie on the 4th line in place of Nordstrom if need be. We have enough PKers. I would try this vs. Tampa if Ritchie/Kase are available:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Bjork-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner
I like this lineup a lot.

Hope we see something like this when everyone returns

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
We in luxury situation losing these games are meaningless. Leafs lost that's the team I don't want face due to law of average. We cant just keep on beating them all the time. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

I've seen this a lot from him even pre-COVID. He knows his roster spot isnt promised and wants to contribute bad. And he's definitely frustrated.

IMO he does pretty much everything right. Only complaint is he needs to release the puck faster. That'll happen when scoring is getting in your head.

Im rooting for him to start getting on the board. I will say that third line seemed to play a lot better then the exhibition game where I thought they kind of got dominated in their own zone too often. Not this last game.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Is that Kase in the black shirt and backwards black cap?

If so thats a positive right? Walking with the rest of the group. Or am I behind? :laugh:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Is that Kase in the black shirt and backwards black cap?

If so thats a positive right? Walking with the rest of the group. Or am I behind? :laugh:

Yup, I think so - blond and not Nordstrom, so that should be Kase. He was with the team giving interviews on Saturday IIRC, so practice isn’t much of a surprise, but still a good sign.

Wouldn’t mind seeing him slot in Wednesday if his practices go well, but we do need at least one game of max effort during the RR from everyone.

Reactions: JCRO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad