Post-Game Talk: Round Robin #1 - Hibernation Continues - Team of Gritty 4 BRUINS 1 F

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They re-seed after each round.

Bos-TB-Wsh-Phi will have seeds 1-4.

They will play in round 1 the 4 winners of the play-in series.

Say Car(6), NYI(7), Clb(9) and Habs(12) win, this will be the 1st round matchups:

1 vs Habs
2 vs Clb
3 vs NYI
4 vs Car

So the seeding is done by regular season finish and has nothing to do with the results of the round robin/play in rounds?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Seeding for 1-4 will be the result of the round robin between Bos-TB-Wsh-Phi. Seeding for 5-8 will be the 4 winners of the play in with best regular season standing being 5 and worst 8.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. So winning the round robin will give far more advantage than just getting last change. They will also get the lowest seed opponents.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I thought maybe once things kicked off maybe I`d be interested in watching games but nope, while our boys were broadcast live, my wife and I hit an outdoor market and a few other stops yesterday. Sorry, hockey in August, unless it`s country vs country, for this fan, just doesn`t do it for me

I use to get wound up to the point I was having an anxiety attack. Remember in the series in 2012 vs the Flyers i had to go for a drive.

Not so with this hockey.
These round robin games are both stupid and meaningless

Reactions: Strafer

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
How can they be meaningless if they determine the order of seeding for the first two rounds?
well for me. there are no fans, no home ice.
All that matters is who wins the best of 4 series when they start next week.
Thats why the round robins mean nothing at all. Next week is when it matters.

Hopefully the Bruins goaltending plays like they did during the regular season though. They have a week to get there.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
How can they be meaningless if they determine the order of seeding for the first two rounds?
Meaningless to me.
Stupid because the Bruins earned #1 seed already. If the Flyers win all 3 games that enables them to be the #1 seed? Quite laughable.

The bonus of home ice is having your fans in front of you. That's gone. No fans.

So basically they are playing a round robin to determine who gets last change. Oh boy :/

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up. So winning the round robin will give far more advantage than just getting last change. They will also get the lowest seed opponents.

Yes, top seed of the RR games gets the lowest of the 5-12 teams remaining, and vice versa - but remember, those 5-12 seeds are indeed based on regular season standings. Regular season standings - which include games that will have been played over 10 months ago! That's one reason I don't take seeding too seriously.

Also, for the 1-4 seeding post-RR, the "score" is based on just the 2*W + OTL + SOL for 3 games, so a max of 6 points. But any tiebreakers will be determined by regular season standings - which we have locked.

If you want to know who to root for this afternoon in the TBL/WSH game - root for whoever gets the first goal, and root for that goal to come fast. A game that goes into OT is very bad for the two teams that aren't playing.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
There are so many variables with the reseeding, which I like. It keeps the top 4 seeds honest by reducing the likelihood of potential spot-picking, to an extent. Maybe a team doesn't want #1 because they don't want to see CBJ or Toronto. But if a lower seed upsets a higher seed (ie MTL vs Pitt) then #1 would get the Habs.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Meaningless to me.
Stupid because the Bruins earned #1 seed already. If the Flyers win all 3 games that enables them to be the #1 seed? Quite laughable.

The bonus of home ice is having your fans in front of you. That's gone. No fans.

So basically they are playing a round robin to determine who gets last change. Oh boy :/

No, they are also playing the round robin to determine the order of seeding for the playoff rounds. Not meaningless at all!

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
No, they are also playing the round robin to determine the order of seeding for the playoff rounds. Not meaningless at all!

Guess we will wait and see.
So far if the Canes, Habs, CBJ and NYI hold on and advance...we could lose vs any one of those teams.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So far if the Canes, Habs, CBJ and NYI hold on and advance...we could lose vs any one of those teams.

Wait and see what? The seeding algorithm is already in place. There's no debating that the games mean something.

And I'm sorry, this Bruins team would annihilate the Habs.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
if those 4 teams advance. I could care less if we go 0-3 in the round robin, I like our chances against any of those teams.

Reactions: nORRis8

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

They « could » lose to any of them cause there is always some upsets.

But the Bruins « should » beat all these teams, especially the lowly Habs.

Bring on anyone. Bruins quest for a 2nd Cup and 4th SCF starts next week.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Wait and see what? The seeding algorithm is already in place. There's no debating that the games mean something.

And I'm sorry, this Bruins team would annihilate the Habs.

There's an algorithm? Damn. This IS complicated. :/

Did you also pick the Bruins to annihilate the Flyers yesterday? ;)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Don't think we have to worry about the Habs lol. Although the Bruins having the tiebreaker is pretty big. Assuming no OTs, and of course the Bruins needing to win their last 2, you'd need whoever wins today and Philly to not go undefeated.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Don't think we have to worry about the Habs lol. Although the Bruins having the tiebreaker is pretty big. Assuming no OTs, and of course the Bruins needing to win their last 2, you'd need whoever wins today and Philly to not go undefeated.

Would have been an easy first round against the lowly Habs but if the Bruins don’t get 1st seed, then I want it to be TB or Wsh.

In that case, if the Habs upset the Penguins, then they either are swept in round 1 as expected (and draft 16 instead of 12.5% at 1st overall :laugh:) or keep on their lucky run and take out one of the two teams that would give Bruins some problems in a best of 7.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Hagman for Tampa had a breakaway vs the Caps and as he made a deke to the right the puck skipped over his stick. He had an open corner.
That ice in Toronto is absolute crap

The Jets/Flames game is a good one.
3rd period coming up

Reactions: Strafer

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Now that I’ve let the dust settle from my initial disgust; they are in the playoffs already. These games are important if they want a lighter road, but two crappy games doesn’t change my expectations as to what they can accomplish.

I definitely thought they sucked, but I also think Carter Hart was pretty terrific. I think they will be ready to go when the official tournament starts. You just hope to see more life in the next two.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I forgot that you can play Ritchie on the 4th line in place of Nordstrom if need be. We have enough PKers. I would try this vs. Tampa if Ritchie/Kase are available:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Bjork-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Kuraly-Wagner

Nords has been a key contributor in the playoffs. Dude is hard to play against. Ritchie is one dimensional / he won't play special teams.

I agree Kase in and interchangeable with Studnicka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad