Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
tumblr_ofcxy6E17c1qkktc4o1_400.gifv

Pumped for that Wyatt-Wyatte defense pair. That's Book of Revelation shit.

But Kalynuk is 35 years old and had pedestrian Big Ten numbers, so don't expect too much.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Why are you so optimistic he'll sign here?
Manitoba farm boy who wasn’t drafted until his third year eligible. Just doesn’t strike me as someone that would take the UFA path. Plus while he’s certainly one of our better prospects, I don’t think he’d command quite the market needed to spurn the Flyers. I also don’t think his path to the NHL is quite as difficult as others do. Assuming a Ghost trade, I can see him on a third pair next year, given his age.

I have no reason to assume he won’t sign and with the announcement that he’ll turn pro coming a day after the NHL Return-to-Play announcement, it just seems like it’s coming together. With the timeline of everything getting pushed back, I’m not even sure when he could even sign with another team.

Plus if Laczynski signed, everyone will sign. ;).

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The year after he was drafted i ran into Wyatt's father and congratulated him about his boy being drafted . He said thanks but also stated they were hoping he would not have been drafted cause that way if he continued to develop he could then choose the best situation to sign into . We will see and i am hopeful just to see what he can turn into but penciling him on to the team next year is pushing it .

And Wyatt father is a teacher not a farmer .

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
The Flyers situation is a good one for him where they don't really have a bunch of prospects who are 'ahead' of him. Friedman, maybe, but on the right side, but after that he'd probably be even or ahead of guys who may need a little more AHL time to develop and/or fill out like Zamula. Not sure if any team is going to guarantee him a NHL spot without some AHL time to show he is ready, so that would be the same situation as with the Flyers. May as well just sign with them if that is the case.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The Flyers situation is a good one for him where they don't really have a bunch of prospects who are 'ahead' of him. Friedman, maybe, but on the right side, but after that he'd probably be even or ahead of guys who may need a little more AHL time to develop and/or fill out like Zamula. Not sure if any team is going to guarantee him a NHL spot without some AHL time to show he is ready, so that would be the same situation as with the Flyers. May as well just sign with them if that is the case.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I wouldn't sign here if I were him. The Flyers are as stacked any in the league with young LHDs. Prov, Sanhiem, Ghost, York and Zamula. He's not percieved as better than any of them. He is also probably seeing Hagg, Morin and even Ginning all three first or second rounders and saying I have almost no shot there.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I wouldn't sign here if I were him. The Flyers are as stacked any in the league with young LHDs. Prov, Sanhiem, Ghost, York and Zamula. He's not percieved as better than any of them. He is also probably seeing Hagg, Morin and even Ginning all three first or second rounders and saying I have almost no shot there.
He's really only competing for a depth or call-up role so no need to mention Sanheim or Prov as they are established in their top 4 roles.

Gost may not be here and can also play the right side.

York is a good prospect for sure but committed to college for another season so no competition there yet. Also can play the right I believe.

Hagg is an OK depth guy but no more than that and is a commodity that could be traded, like Gost. Also can play the right side.

Morin will be lucky to just stay healthy and secure an NHL job at this point. No more than an 8th at this point, sadly.

Friedman is probably ahead but more in line as a replacement on the right for one of the older guys, such as Braun. He could end up 7th and Kalynuk as first call-up so not really blocking him.

Zamula isn't necessarily ahead of Kalynuk and is less developed physically. Also can play the right.

Wyatte Wylie (these names make me mad, lol) is another in the mix but I wouldn't assume either is ahead of the other. If they are even separate people.

Ginning; who knows when and if he will be ready. Still in Europe next season so no competition there yet. Drafted by a previous regime so not sure being a former 2nd counts for much more than it did for NAK (which was not much at all).

Kalynuk is 23 and is physically mature. No reason he cant compete for NHL time NEXT season as a call-up or later addition. Same as the other guys in the AHL but closer to where he needs to be at physically. If he plays to the same level he absolutely could be the first call up and have that NHL track record before the other guys even get here. Worked for Hagg.

In any case he'll have to be ready to compete wherever he goes. He doesn't have that pedigree to be gifted a spot (if defensemen even get that). His decision of course on what he thinks is best for him. Flyers have promoted several defensemen successfully recently so why not him?

Reactions: flyersfan187

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

- Ghost is a goner so I doubt he’s gotta worry about him as competition. I would be legitimately shocked if he doesn’t get traded this offseason. Hasn’t looked healthy for two seasons now.

- Provorov & Sanheim are top 4 staples so they aren’t his competition

- If he’s concerned about having to compete for a sport with any of Hagg, Morin, or Ginning....trade him now. Seriously. Morin is a very, very slow processor. Hagg is JAG. Ginning is a poor man’s Hagg...and that may be an optimistic outcome.

- York, Zamula, & Wylie are likely the players he has to compete with. As a competitor, why wouldn’t he want to show he’s better than those guys?

- The Flyers invested a draft pick in him and have kept in close contact with him throughout his post-draft development.

- If he wants to sign somewhere else, he’s going to have to prove himself at the AHL level with another team too (most likely).

- So, taking all of that into account, I don’t really get why he wouldn’t want to sign with the Flyers.

Reactions: orangey

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
- Ghost is a goner so I doubt he’s gotta worry about him as competition. I would be legitimately shocked if he doesn’t get traded this offseason. Hasn’t looked healthy for two seasons now.

- Provorov & Sanheim are top 4 staples so they aren’t his competition

- If he’s concerned about having to compete for a sport with any of Hagg, Morin, or Ginning....trade him now. Seriously. Morin is a very, very slow processor. Hagg is JAG. Ginning is a poor man’s Hagg...and that may be an optimistic outcome.

- York, Zamula, & Wylie are likely the players he has to compete with. As a competitor, why wouldn’t he want to show he’s better than those guys?

- The Flyers invested a draft pick in him and have kept in close contact with him throughout his post-draft development.

- If he wants to sign somewhere else, he’s going to have to prove himself at the AHL level with another team too (most likely).

- So, taking all of that into account, I don’t really get why he wouldn’t want to sign with the Flyers.

Ghost has been a goner for over a year now.

It was funny reading the Braun trade thread seeing how many people though Hagg or Ghost HAD to be moved before the season started after Fletcher traded for him. It's like every summer half the posters here forget that injuries are a thing.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Tripod

TB87

May 30, 2018
Ghost has been a goner for over a year now.

It was funny reading the Braun trade thread seeing how many people though Hagg or Ghost HAD to be moved before the season started after Fletcher traded for him. It's like every summer half the posters here forget that injuries are a thing.

Well yeah. I've been disappointed in Ghost the past two seasons. I'm also pretty confident that he hasn't been healthy for a while now. No matter the talent level of the NHLer, their performance dips when they're not healthy. To what degree that depends on the player, the extent of the injury, etc. Ghost just hasn't looked right.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is it bad that when Fletcher went on record opposing a June 5th draft and about teams needing to "reset their roster" I immediately thought about him missing a window to execute a Ghost trade?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adtar02

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Is it bad that when Fletcher went on record opposing a June 5th draft and about teams needing to "reset their roster" I immediately thought about a him missing a window to execute a Ghost trade?

No, I agree that is a total BS time for the draft under the circumstances. Just wait until the season is over like non F'n idiots. NHLOL.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Ghost is under contract and a favorable one at that. He will be here when Kaly has to make a decision.
- Provorov & Sanheim are top 4 staples so they aren’t his competition. Yes they take two of the three lhD slots.

- If he’s concerned about having to compete for a sport with any of Hagg, Morin, or Ginning....trade him now. Seriously. Morin is a very, very slow processor. Hagg is JAG. Ginning is a poor man’s Hagg...and that may be an optimistic outcome. Agree but Hagg has played over 200 NHL games and probably is 7d pressbox guy.

- York, Zamula, & Wylie are likely the players he has to compete with. As a competitor, why wouldn’t he want to show he’s better than those guys? He's not better. Why not go to Buffalo or Chicago. Check out their D.

- The Flyers invested a draft pick in him and have kept in close contact with him throughout his post-draft development. True he may feel comfy here.

- If he wants to sign somewhere else, he’s going to have to prove himself at the AHL level with another team too (most likely). Well if he has to prove it in the A then he gives Z and Y a year to take his spot which they will.

- So, taking all of that into account, I don’t really get why he would n’t. want to sign with the Flyers.

TB87

May 30, 2018

A lot of this has a not so subtle whiff of “I haven’t actually seen this player much at all.”

Kalynuk is one of this teams best defensive prospects. Has been for a few years now. He’s steadily gotten better too.

Reactions: orangey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad