Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't foresee Drake playing too many games this year. He's a clear cut #8 now that they added Ulf Junior.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

Kalynuk is #2. Has a goal already in this exhibition match.

It was an assist , goals were Caufeild ,Holloway and Dhooghe . It is strange them playing exhibition games now , they play yesterday and today then don't play another game till October 11th . Most teams always play one exhibition game the week before their regular season starts .

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It was an assist , goals were Caufeild ,Holloway and Dhooghe . It is strange them playing exhibition games now , they play yesterday and today then don't play another game till October 11th . Most teams always play one exhibition game the week before their regular season starts .
Did his goal get changed? It’s the first goal in this tweet:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With the offensive firepower on Wisconsin this year, Kalynuk really has no excuse for not having a breakout season.
He can just feed it to Caufield and pick up 20-30 points.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
giphy.gif

25 points in 37 games
1 point off team lead
4th in points for Big 10 defensemen

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I was talking with a scout last week about the college hockey conferences . He called the Big 10 conference the no defense conference . I said Ohio played defense and he said there are a few teams but Penn St , Michigan St . Minn Gophers , Wisconcin and Michigan just look to score and won't win anything in the NCAA's till they start focusing more on preventing goals . Said Notre Dame and Ohio did and that's why they win the conference .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
giphy.gif

25 points in 37 games
1 point off team lead
4th in points for Big 10 defensemen

21 year old and outscored by an 18 year old freshman defenseman on his own team who's a real prospect. :sarcasm:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
21 year old and outscored by an 18 year old freshman defenseman on his own team who's a real prospect. :sarcasm:
Nah,Wyatts a good prospect he has great skills but has one flaw as do a lot of prospects . It is a flaw that can be improved with a focus put on it , but i'm just not sure Grando is the man to do it . It is the biggest reason i would have likes him to signed and been in LV focusing on it .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was talking with a scout last week about the college hockey conferences . He called the Big 10 conference the no defense conference . I said Ohio played defense and he said there are a few teams but Penn St , Michigan St . Minn Gophers , Wisconcin and Michigan just look to score and won't win anything in the NCAA's till they start focusing more on preventing goals . Said Notre Dame and Ohio did and that's why they win the conference .

That's kind of bad for talent evaluation, since you can easily pad your stats, while a good defensive player will be left out to hang with his teammates consistently out of position.
Not really the best environment for York.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Point totals are an awful singular evaluation method for NCAA defenseman. Sample sizes and whatnot.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Nah,Wyatts a good prospect he has great skills but has one flaw as do a lot of prospects . It is a flaw that can be improved with a focus put on it , but i'm just not sure Grando is the man to do it . It is the biggest reason i would have likes him to signed and been in LV focusing on it .

I think he heard about this great recruiting class coming in and he wanted to see what he can do with this massive infusion of talent. I'm sure if he has a big year (in all facets) Fletcher will push to sign him.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Wisconsin plays an up-tempo style that you can attribute to any combination of talent mix, poor goaltending, necessity, poor coaching, whatever. They gave up a lot of goals last season but also scored at a pretty average rate, especially the forwards. You could argue that without Kalynuk/Miller, they'd be even more lost. They're just not a good team. I imagine they will continue to try to outscore their flaws. At least adding 2 elite offensive talents will help.

Ohio State plays super low event under Rohlik. Doesn't score, doesn't let up goals. They're disciplined, and it works -- I'll give them that. They're also mind numbingly boring and have basically 1 NHL-caliber player on their roster (only 2 draft picks and 1 wasn't even signed).

I'm not saying this was your point, but it's hard to ascribe the NHL capabilities of individual players based on these teams. What works in college also doesn't work in the NHL (see: Hakstok, Dwayne). OSU, for example, has a lot of older players and conservative schemes and atrocious puck moving on the back end. There's nothing NHL about the talent or style. Meanwhile, you've seen plenty of crappy Boston University teams full of young NHL talent. Or look at Hughes on Michigan. The common theme is they play a lot and can work out the kinks in a looser environment.

He was outpaced, not outscored, in 11 less games. At least be accurate. That freshman is also world class in physical tools and a former forward who is raw on the details. But you do you.

As said above, and you say this all the time too, points aren't the best way to judge defenseman, especially across college divisions. You've already been proven wrong that his numbers are in fact good. You don't watch him, so I'm not sure what significant input you have on the rest.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Miller is talented, but if Kalynuk is truly a top 4 level prospect, he should be clearly better at 21 v Miller at 18.

What is interesting is the experience gap is much smaller than the physical maturity gap - Kalynuk had 184 USHL games over 3 years under his belt plus a year of college, Miller had 177 USHL, USDP and International games the last two years. The players picked out for the U-18 and U-20 teams do get a big jump on their peers in terms of game time and preparation that probably gets then to the NHL quicker (along with being more talented).

Points aren't everything, but unless you're Ginning, they do matter, in the same way I'd be worried if York wasn't a top scoring college defenseman by his sophomore year. College offense is not always going to translate (see Friedman), but lack of such is not a good sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad