Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 196: Wyatt Kalynuk, D, Bloomington (USHL) -> Wisconsin

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He is likely someone that you just forget about for 3 years and se if he is worth signing then.

Very odd pick. You would think they would go with a younger pick. But who knows.
He looks like Sanheim skating up ice, must be the good Manitoba water. :)

They seem to be willing to risk some picks on lottery players like Wyatt, who is older but has some potential, or obscure kids from Sweden like Lycksell and Hogberg, who are about to step into the light. If they hit on any of them, could really help the depth down the road.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You're starting to see more kids of his profile drafted lately. I think teams are trying to project these guys as potential guys who could be chased down the line as college UFA's. So instead of dealing with an open floor you get the guys rights with investing a later round pick.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He is likely someone that you just forget about for 3 years and se if he is worth signing then.

Very odd pick. You would think they would go with a younger pick. But who knows.

He's not young in the relative sense but he would pretty much be on the same time line as any 18 year old Dman they could have drafted at that spot. This isn't a Pettersson pick. He's not Montour but Montour was drafted as a 20 year old out of the USHL too (in the 2nd round). If everything works out, you sign him around 23 and get his prime years on the cheap.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's not young in the relative sense but he would pretty much be on the same time line as any 18 year old Dman they could have drafted at that spot. This isn't a Pettersson pick. He's not Montour but Montour was drafted as a 20 year old out of the USHL too (in the 2nd round). If everything works out, you sign him around 23 and get his prime years on the cheap.

Yeah that's true.

Hard to argue with our scouts anyways given how prospects have developed since their draft years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You're starting to see more kids of his profile drafted lately. I think teams are trying to project these guys as potential guys who could be chased down the line as college UFA's. So instead of dealing with an open floor you get the guys rights with investing a later round pick.

I wonder why no one drafted Vecchione back in 2013 after his 60 point USHL season.

Dzingel was drafted in the 7th round in 2011 as a 19 year old after a 67 point season in the USHL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-dzingel

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Kalynuk, Lycksell and Cates are probably my 3 biggest risers in our draft pool this year.

Edit: Oh yeah and Frost of course made a large jump. I think I had him 8th last year.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
For any of those who haven't seen him here is a full-length game of Wisconsin vs. Penn State.

I finally got a chance to watch some of his highlights/games. There are others on youtube if anyone is interested. I really like him.

Defensively, he has a great stick. He does occasionally use his body, but when he stops a forward, it was generally due to stick work. He is also very calm defensively. It doesn't seem like he is ever overwhelmed, even in situations when he may be. He does have some room to grow defensively, but I don't think it should hold him back if he makes it to the NHL.

His skating is like Sanheim's, if Sanheim had a few too many beers before taking the ice. He can really gallop and has some real NHL speed, but it isn't that pretty. It isn't terrible whatsoever, it just isn't that clean. But, hey.. it gets the job done.

His upside comes from his offensive game and outside of Myers, he probably has the most upside among our d-prospects. Offensively speaking, it seems like he always wants to make a play. He is constantly pushing the pace and generating offense. Add in that he is a strong passer and has a hard slapper and you have a solid d-prospect. I could definitely see him challenging for a bottom pair role in 2-3 years, if everything continues to go well.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We could have a Wyatt-Wyatte pairing on the Phantoms as soon as their college/Junior seasons end.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
image.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad