Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I actually thought he was one of their better skaters. Very engaged in the play. Forced a turnover at the blueline for a partial breakaway chance.

thought he could have been a little more aggressive on the forecheck, only because i think thats going to be his game, but talent wise he looks good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
thought he could have been a little more aggressive on the forecheck, only because i think thats going to be his game, but talent wise he looks good.

I was drinking and playing darts too while watching off and on so I only saw bits and pieces.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ohio State is a good team so far. Better than I expected. They only have a few NHL draft picks on the team but they're an older team. They played Bowling Green & Niagara the last two weeks which aren't really great teams. Ohio State really stuffed the stat sheet in those four games between the teams. It will be interesting to see how they do in conference play. The Big Ten doesn't have a lot teams but there really isn't any pushovers in the conference.

As for Laczynski the hope is he can do enough to get another chance at the winter camp for Team USA to make the WJC's. USA Hockey generally likes themselves some older two-way college guys to fill their bottom six so he's got a chance.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I figured this thread deserves a bump. Laczynski made USA's WJC team, which is a pretty noteworthy accomplishment for a 6th round pick. Really looking forward to watching him play.

He also has impressive stats at OSU for a freshman (22P in 15GP). Hopefully the Flyers found another legitimate prospect in the late rounds, or at least someone to keep an eye on.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am really amazed by his progress.

Hextall & Co.

:bow::bow:

:handclap::handclap:

Can't wait to watch him on Team USA. He's a damn 169th pick of this year's draft!

Yeah, this pick reminds me of Marody from last year, although Laczynski is already a little bit older but he will also make the jump from USHL to NCAA. I am a fan, nice pick in 6th round.

I see that I was pretty much spot on after the draft, but good thing is that he's doing even better than Marody!

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So, despite our disappointment in Tanner Laczynski deciding to go back for his senior year, he's had lots of discussions with Fletcher and will likely sign with the Flyers after taking care of unfinished business at Ohio State. This seems similar to Wade Allison's view. They might not be lost to UFA in August after all. Which is good because they are top 10 prospects for the Flyers. We'll see. I'll post the article by when it appears.

Reactions: dag54 and Curufinwe

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
So, despite our disappointment in Tanner Laczynski deciding to go back for his senior year, he's had lots of discussions with Fletcher and will likely sign with the Flyers after taking care of unfinished business at Ohio State. This seems similar to Wade Allison's view. They might not be lost to UFA in August after all. Which is good because they are top 10 prospects for the Flyers. We'll see. I'll post the article by when it appears.

tenor.gif

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
I'm very pessimistic about him signing... What kind of unfinished business could you have that is more appealing than a professional paycheck? Bigger fish and all that with regards to winning championships.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flyers can offer to burn a year though, which he can't get if he waits until August 15th. It might make it a wash for him. That's all we can really hope for, along with liking the organization.

Reactions: Curufinwe

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Flyers can offer to burn a year though, which he can't get if he waits until August 15th. It might make it a wash for him. That's all we can really hope for, along with liking the organization.
They have to sign by noon of the last day of the regular season to burn a year so it's no longer a option .

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They have to sign by noon of the last day of the regular season to burn a year so it's no longer a option .

Next season. So, his ELC is effectively 2 years after graduation, not 3. Unless Laczynski is just dead set on leaving or has a dream destination, it's the last edge the Flyers have.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Next season. So, his ELC is effectively 2 years after graduation, not 3. Unless Laczynski is just dead set on leaving or has a dream destination, it's the last edge the Flyers have.
He was drafted in his second year of eligibility so next year he is only required to sign a two year deal . He will be 23 June 1st next year .

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He was drafted in his second year of eligibility so next year he is only required to sign a two year deal . He will be 23 June 1st next year .

Yes, I know. I thought the age cut-off was 22, not 23, for 2 year ELCs. That still doesn't change my main point that they can burn a year.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Yes, I know. I thought the age cut-off was 22, not 23, for 2 year ELCs. That still doesn't change my main point that they can burn a year.
Put it this way if he waits it out he is playing with a lot of cards and Flyers have no control . It could all work out but college kids that preform have options .

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
On the other hand, unless you're an elite prospect, you're choosing between teams where you're probably going to spend some time in the AHL. Look at Marody, for example, who couldn't make the thinnest roster in the NHL. So which organization you choose is going to be a matter of comfort, and if they enjoy their time in Flyer development camp and have bonded with other young prospects, there's limited incentive to shop around, the money is the same and the obstacles are similar.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Put it this way if he waits it out he is playing with a lot of cards and Flyers have no control . It could all work out but college kids that preform have options .
Watch what they do not what they say. A mature player going back for a senior year with nothing to prove or achieve other than free agency. If he plays well he can choose to go wherever he wants and get a good financial deal. The only way he signs here is if he performs poorly or is injured and doesnt have many choices and we still want him. Allison as well although he at least has a plausible injury excuse.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What kind of good financial deal other than burn off a year of his ELC (but that has negatives, you don't want to hit RFA with no track record and end up accepting a deal like Morin just on the promise of a shot at the NHL).

It's different if you're a premier college FA, while you can't make more money, you can pick a spot where you'll get instant PT and set yourself up for a real contract in a couple years - but unless Allison or Laczynski have an amazing breakout season (and it will be discounted due to their age, see MV), they're not going have that sort of leverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad