Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Guys who get cut in the summer & guys who were never even there in the summer can make the final roster in December. There's a few examples of this pretty much every year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
“That’s been my stress to my scouts, whether it is pros or amateurs, the will to win is huge. The gap between best team in the league and worst team is not very big. A lot of times, it’s whoever wants to win and sacrifice and pay the price. That comes in skill players, not just your grinders and fourth line guys.â€

That suggests the overall philosophy that Hextall is going to take to the entire squad, it starts with the players you draft, but goes through the organization - and it extends to free agency and who you retain on your squad. And Hakstol's scheme requires forwards to do the dirty work.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
“That’s been my stress to my scouts, whether it is pros or amateurs, the will to win is huge. The gap between best team in the league and worst team is not very big. A lot of times, it’s whoever wants to win and sacrifice and pay the price. That comes in skill players, not just your grinders and fourth line guys.â€

That suggests the overall philosophy that Hextall is going to take to the entire squad, it starts with the players you draft, but goes through the organization - and it extends to free agency and who you retain on your squad. And Hakstol's scheme requires forwards to do the dirty work.

When you look at the forwards they have drafted since Hextall has been in charge you can really see that philosophy come to the fore.

Aube-Kubel
Lindblom
Fazleev
Konecny
Dove-McFalls
Vorobyov
Kase
Marody
Rubtsov
Laberge
Allison
Twarynski
Bunnaman
Laczynski
Salinitri

All of them are guys who have grit+work ethic on ice, and will go to dirty areas... regardless of the individual levels of skill.

I don't think there is one single player amongst these guys who you can say 'top six or bust' about.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Wait...Max Jones got cut but our 6th rounder didn't? Cool.

I can't help but smile a little about this. Obviously, long term this means little about either players NHL career, but Jones was such a polarizing player here pre-draft. Also, I got real sick of hearing that he was a "Flyers style of player" in the media and mock drafts, even when it was obvious Jones really didn't have the smarts Hextall covets.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Centering the 1st line today.... With Bellows and Boeser on his wings

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pretty incredible that he made it over Max Jones, who some wanted us to pick over Rubstov in the 1st.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm really hoping for a huge game so I can have a good laugh at him being immediately voted the #15 skater given that he has 1 vote out of 49 for #14 as of now.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That happened with Gostisbehere. Turns out the small sample size was a pretty accurate indicator.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty incredible that he made it over Max Jones, who some wanted us to pick over Rubstov in the 1st.

Laczynski has played center only do far. So I don't think the two were ever in competition for a spot. Jones was likely facing Thompson, Foley, & Greenway all last year eligibles. They've all been better than Jones too which makes it an easier choice.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The knock on Thompson was he only had one ES goal for UConn in 15-16, but he seems to be looking like a nice late 1st pick by the Blues.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The knock on Thompson was he only had one ES goal for UConn in 15-16, but he seems to be looking like a nice late 1st pick by the Blues.

Skating was the more specific knock when it came to his game. It's still choppy but to me it seems more like a mechanics issue than being slow footed. He also doesn't appear to be close to his physical peak so there's some hope there to me. He's got some really good hands on a long frame that's the biggest takeaway for me so far.

It will be interesting to see how he develops over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad