Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
What kind of good financial deal other than burn off a year of his ELC (but that has negatives, you don't want to hit RFA with no track record and end up accepting a deal like Morin just on the promise of a shot at the NHL).

It's different if you're a premier college FA, while you can't make more money, you can pick a spot where you'll get instant PT and set yourself up for a real contract in a couple years - but unless Allison or Laczynski have an amazing breakout season (and it will be discounted due to their age, see MV), they're not going have that sort of leverage.
I'm disappointed that Fletch couldn't convince them to sign here the dollars will be good either way if they perform not so much if they don't.... why take the risk? Because either they don't want to play here or they really really want to go back for their senior year.

Reactions: wasup

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
What kind of good financial deal other than burn off a year of his ELC (but that has negatives, you don't want to hit RFA with no track record and end up accepting a deal like Morin just on the promise of a shot at the NHL).

It's different if you're a premier college FA, while you can't make more money, you can pick a spot where you'll get instant PT and set yourself up for a real contract in a couple years - but unless Allison or Laczynski have an amazing breakout season (and it will be discounted due to their age, see MV), they're not going have that sort of leverage.
The both of them were preseason Hobey Baker top 6 in College hockey inc and Bucci polls going into junior seasons . The idea that they are not considered top NCAA caliber players is false . They also play in tougher conferences , Allison NCHC is the run away top conference followed by the Laczynski in BIG 10 as the 2nd strongest . People just see points and think they are just equal across college hockey but there is big spreads between conferences . MV was just about 25 when he came out and played in a poorer conference . If you don't think they will have leverage you really don't know the college seen well at all .

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They’re not Cale Makar but their value will be inflated if they reach UFA status as they’ll be cheap depth with a chance of being something useful at the NHL level.

Mike Reilly was pretty pursued when he went this route. Chase Priskie will be this August too. They don’t have to necessarily be a Schultz, Hayes, or Vesey to be pretty pursued.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thing is they're not college FAs who can sign as soon as their year is over, they'd have to wait until the end of August, and the only team I think that can burn a year off their ELC would be the Flyers, and the organization that they have experience with is also the Flyers.

So it's not like some other team can come along in June and throw money at them, they'd have to wait until after the draft and free agent signings and see if there's even a spot for them.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So the gnashing of teeth can be restrained.
I think Allison pretty much indicated he'd sign.
Kalynuk is a junior, so it's more a matter of him wanting to start his AHL career at 23 or 24.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ooooh, f*** yeah! I was worried about this one getting done. A potential day one plug and play guy.

A big body that does everything well. He's mostly played RW at OSU, but did play some center this year.

I've had him high in my prospect rankings for a long time. This past summer I had him #8. Only behind Frost, Myers, York, Farabee, Brink, Zamula, and Kalynuk.

#TeamTanner

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ooooh, f*** yeah! I was worried about this one getting done. A potential day one plug and play guy.

A big body that does everything well. He's mostly played RW at OSU, but did play some center this year.

I've had him high in my prospect rankings for a long time. This past summer I had him #8. Only behind Frost, Myers, York, Farabee, Brink, Zamula, and Kalynuk.

#TeamTanner

We always believed. The OG Tan Mans.

1*otNBB1DYUNQEDNc-VOc37w.gif

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Not the college scout so help please. Would it be fair to have the goal for Tanner to take over the Laughton role by 21-22 and Laughton walks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Laughton’s play and Laughton’s results are two different beasts. He won’t have the same results with the same level of play.

Laczynski is ready to play next year. Could have played this year imo. One of the reasons you let Pitlick (and others) walk.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laughton’s play and Laughton’s results are two different beasts. He won’t have the same results with the same level of play.

Laczynski is ready to play next year. Could have played this year imo. One of the reasons you let Pitlick (and others) walk.

Unsurprisingly, Bill Meltzer disagrees today. Yet another Scott Laughton fluff piece. They can't resist. Sell high, sell high!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton is a legitimate 20 goal scorer at LW, he's really not a center and they'd be better off trading him and adding a real 4C (or give Bunnaman the job) than using him there. He's a decent PK guy and could fill in nicely on PP2, which adds value.

Not a great player but worked hard to become a solid starter, no, Laczynski isn't better than Laughton right now, maybe in a year or two, but it's easy to overrate prospects before they hit the ice.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Unsurprisingly, Bill Meltzer disagrees today. Yet another Scott Laughton fluff piece. They can't resist. Sell high, sell high!

It's not just local guys though. Laughton was supposedly a target from other teams at the trade deadline as per Friedman. Laughton is a swiss army knife. He's best in the bottom 6 and really only on the fourth line as a center but as a wing can slide up to the third. But in a huge pinch you can slide him to wing on line two without killing the team to finish a game.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tanner Laczynski
Writing the words of a sermon that no one will hear
No one comes near
Look at him working
Darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there
What does he care?

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't adore Laughton, but I really appreciate what he's done for the team this year. Jettisoning him off and replacing him with a younger Laughton, when Laughton himself didn't hit his stride until his 6th season as a professional, may not be the best move. I'm guessing Laughton is going to be better than Laczynski as an NHL player for at least the next two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad