Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
He's got the size, while the playmaking is nice, the key is whether he can improve his skating, I think the days of slow, smart tough players is pretty much over, you don't have to set speed records, but you have to be fast enough to get to the puck on the forecheck and get back on defense.

Or why VV frustrates so many Flyer fans.
And why they didn't push that hard to resign White.

UFA Steve Downie comes to mind.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
In the article he says he's 6'1" and 195lbs.

For some reason I had been under the impression that he was 5'10"..... I have no clue who I was mixing him up with because I know roughly how tall every other prospect is...

i thought exact same thing...kept hearing "he fits Hextalls plan of getting big strong forwards" and thinking how does a 5'10'' two way center do that?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's got a goal & an assist against Finland more than halfway through the second.

It looks like he started on the third line as a center but has moved up since as the game has progressed.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
is there some way to watch these games?

I believe in Canada TSN is showing Team Canada games. NHL Network is showing games later in the week from all countries on Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday (they'll also be playing re-runs of those games at other times). I don't know if that's for both the States & Canado though as I believe they have different programming.

The games today you had to buy a steam off of fasthockey.com. It's not really worth it from my understanding.

Tage Thompson with 3 ES goals in the games....only had 1 all last season in 36 games.

USA is going with a split squad but still Finland was pretty bad. They're missing Laine, Pulujarvi, Aho, & Joulevi. The first three probably won't be there in the winter anyway but without those guys their older players aren't that great & a lot of their other talent is pretty young without being advanced as those guys were last year.

USA has a lot of 18-19 year olds with a lot of scoring punch upfront so yeah it got ugly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ANY chance he makes the team?

I would say slim given their depth upfront but you never know with USA Hockey. They're always good for a few head scratchers.

He played third line center for the White Team today. Tommy Novak, Luke Kunin, & Logan Brown were the other centers. The Blue Team had Clayton Keller, Jack Roslovic, Rem Pitlick, & Trent Frederic as their centers in that order. So logic would suggest he's in tough for a spot on the team but like I said you never know.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I would say slim given their depth upfront but you never know with USA Hockey. They're always good for a few head scratchers.

He played third line center for the White Team today. Tommy Novak, Luke Kunin, & Logan Brown were the other centers. The Blue Team had Clayton Keller, Jack Roslovic, Rem Pitlick, & Trent Frederic as their centers in that order. So logic would suggest he's in tough for a spot on the team but like I said you never know.

He can play centre or wing, and he's represented the US a couple times before. Fingers crossed he has a great camp.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He can play centre or wing, and he's represented the US a couple times before. Fingers crossed he has a great camp.

Yeah but so do those guys plus USA is deep on the wings with players who play that postion naturally too.

Colin White is another center who's sitting out this camp with a recovery from offseason surgery. As a returnee from last year he's a shoe in.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yeah but so do those guys plus USA is deep on the wings with players who play that postion naturally too.

Colin White is another center who's sitting out this camp with a recovery from offseason surgery. As a returnee from last year he's a shoe in.

Agreed he's the longest of longshots, but there's always hope!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For the final roster?

They have 41 players at camp (Tkachuk is present but not playing). So they'll be cutting down their roster so they can just ice one team instead of two for the remaining games at this camp.

Last year they cut 8 players out of 40 players total. So they might possibly go with 9 cuts since Tkachuk isn't playing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Looks like Nick Boka is the only guy taken later in the draft to make the cut.

Whenever these recent mid/late round picks do well it makes me think of something Hextall said before his first draft in charge.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/hextall-aims-fix-flyers-late-round-draft-woes

“We've got to have kids coming,” Hextall said. “We've got to have kids coming. It’s more than having draft picks. You've got to hit on them. We’ve done a great job on first-rounders for years, but there is room for a little bit of growth on the later rounds. We've got to get some kids coming in the later rounds.”

“It doesn’t mean we've got to hit them all,” Hextall said. “You've got to hit those late rounds once in [a while]. That is one of the things I’ve been banging on the table. Guys, you've got to hit on these late rounds. We have to.

“If you look at the history of the draft, the kids who don’t play are kids who are not hungry to play. It doesn’t always come in physical play … it’s the will to win and it comes in skill players.

“That’s been my stress to my scouts, whether it is pros or amateurs, the will to win is huge. The gap between best team in the league and worst team is not very big. A lot of times, it’s whoever wants to win and sacrifice and pay the price. That comes in skill players, not just your grinders and fourth line guys.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad