Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Headed to THE Ohio State University in the fall, undrafted last year

Name: Tanner Laczynski
Position: Center
Teams: Chicago Steel/Lincoln Stars (USHL)
Birthdate: June 1, 1997
Birthplace: Sherwood Park, IL
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 174lbs

th

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
4th leading scorer in the USHL and a capable of playing C/LW like Bunnaman. I like it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Laczynski / Twarynski is almost Hextall / Hextall levels of confusion lol

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
not sure why but he looks like a young briere and I can't even tell you why.

A draft re-entry, Laczynski was fourth in scoring in the USHL this past season. He is a strong playmaker, with very good vision and passing skills. Laczynski can fit the puck through tight spaces, or make saucer passes to teammates. He creates space with strong puck handling skills. Laczynski also has a good release on his shot.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Similiar USHL production as Marody had I think. I like Marody a lot. Will be playing at Ohio State next year.

Yeah, this pick reminds me of Marody from last year, although Laczynski is already a little bit older but he will also make the jump from USHL to NCAA. I am a fan, nice pick in 6th round.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's on the young end for a re-entry so this was actually his age 18 season. Only 4 months difference between him and someone like Gauthier or Allison. Only played 2 years of USHL.

So Carter Hart, German Rubtsov, Hogberg are all also late birthdays (missing any?)....always interesting to see their development. Some kids have a year on them in their development.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think this is kind of a trend pick in the NHL right now. Every spring you have a handful of a college UFA's that are being pursued by a handful of teams. It's not that they're bonafide NHL prospects but rather they have potential to play in the league in some capacity & they cost nothing in terms of assets if you're fortunate enough to get their signature. So teams are starting to take a college bound or already in college re-entry player or two in the backend of the draft so they potentially don't have to deal with a handful of other teams potentially pursuing the players signature.

Mjoedgaard

Jul 4, 2013
He's on the young end for a re-entry so this was actually his age 18 season. Only 4 months difference between him and someone like Gauthier or Allison. Only played 2 years of USHL.

So Carter Hart, German Rubtsov, Hogberg are all also late birthdays (missing any?)....always interesting to see their development. Some kids have a year on them in their development.

Crazy how young some of the guys are and at this stage it matters.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Crazy how young some of the guys are and at this stage it matters.

I don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing, but I think it does. Think about the difference between a junior in HS versus a senior...physically, emotionally, mentally. At that age, sometimes a 6-12 month difference can't be understated in terms of development. Sometimes development spikes can happen at different times, later times for different players, but it's a good rule of thumb that steals/gems are more often summer birthdays.

I mean, look at how we compare someone's draft+1 stats to their draft stats and expect a good increase, muscle gain, experienced gained. Someone born in the summer vs fall can be a year behind other kids or have played 1 less year in a league. It's always case by case, but it's not surprising to see how many summer birthday kids explode their next year and leave people wondering where they were all this time. Of course there are guys like Myers who don't fit in. But guys like Benn, Klingberg, Stone, Pavelski, Gaudreau, Brodie, even Simmer, Bergeron (2nds but reaches), etc....guys with underwhelming stats or profiles who explode their next year, when that's really their age 18 season. It isn't some hard and fast rule, but it's always worth considering when looking for late blooming gems.

Last edited:

Mjoedgaard

Jul 4, 2013
I don't know if you're agreeing or disagreeing, but I think it does. Think about the difference between a junior in HS versus a senior...physically, emotionally, mentally. At that age, sometimes a 6-12 month difference can't be understated in terms of development. Sometimes development spikes can happen at different times, later times for different players, but it's a good rule of thumb that steals/gems are more often summer birthdays.

I mean, look at how we compare someone's draft+1 stats to their draft stats and expect a good increase, muscle gain, experienced gained. Someone born in the summer vs fall can be a year behind other kids or have played 1 less year in a league. It's always case by case, but it's not surprising to see how many summer birthday kids explode their next year and leave people wondering where they were all this time. Of course there are guys like Myers who don't fit in. But guys like Benn, Klingberg, Stone, Pavelski, Gaudreau, Brodie, even Simmer, Bergeron (2nds but reaches), etc....guys with underwhelming stats or profiles who explode their next year, when that's really their age 18 season. It isn't some hard and fast rule, but it's always worth considering when looking for late blooming gems.

I have this tidbit about birth month saved because on how big of a difference there can be in the projection
B85DGSQCIAA5U9e.jpg

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Does he go by the nickname Unibomber? :sarcasm:

"Uni" rather than "Una" since he's going the university route.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have this tidbit about birth month saved because on how big of a difference there can be in the projection
B85DGSQCIAA5U9e.jpg

Really good post and something I think people oversimplify when they simply compare players by "draft year."

Some players are 18 essentially their entire draft year, whereas others are 17 essentially their entire draft years. Many disregard it as six months or so not meaning much, but it can equate to a great disparity in development for teenagers that young, as your post shows.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Some good footage from the USHL Top Prospects game including interviews with Laczynski and Allison.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Really good post and something I think people oversimplify when they simply compare players by "draft year."

Some players are 18 essentially their entire draft year, whereas others are 17 essentially their entire draft years. Many disregard it as six months or so not meaning much, but it can equate to a great disparity in development for teenagers that young, as your post shows.

Beware of simple correlations, however.
All things held equal, younger guys with the same production are better prospects than older guys.
But as Myers shows, not all things are equal.

Most of these kind of studies are flawed in all sports, because most of the people doing them either lack sufficient data (left out variable error is a *****) or lack the training to understand what they're doing.

So for example, if I were doing an "age at draft day" study, I'd want to include rate of improvement up to draft year, whether the player is physically mature (tough variable to measure), and so on - i.e. try to determine if it's age alone or age as a proxy for untapped potential. Since 17-18 years old vary a great deal in terms of where they are in their growth spurt (which can occur from 14-18), without data on that you're left with age as a crude proxy.

Or why you need to pay good scouts to make these judgments with insufficient data!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the article he says he's 6'1" and 195lbs.

For some reason I had been under the impression that he was 5'10"..... I have no clue who I was mixing him up with because I know roughly how tall every other prospect is...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's got the size, while the playmaking is nice, the key is whether he can improve his skating, I think the days of slow, smart tough players is pretty much over, you don't have to set speed records, but you have to be fast enough to get to the puck on the forecheck and get back on defense.

Or why VV frustrates so many Flyer fans.
And why they didn't push that hard to resign White.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's got the size, while the playmaking is nice, the key is whether he can improve his skating, I think the days of slow, smart tough players is pretty much over, you don't have to set speed records, but you have to be fast enough to get to the puck on the forecheck and get back on defense.

Or why VV frustrates so many Flyer fans.
And why they didn't push that hard to resign White.

VDV and White are from nearby Hearst, Ontario in terms of hockey intelligence. They're just not smart on the ice. And frankly they don't have much skill either. White is a flat out poor skater. A truly smart 200 ft player, with the requisite skill, can overcome skating issues. Cousins is not only a questionable skater, but he has questionable size. The worst combo. And he didn't look a lick out of place in the NHL chiefly because of his smarts.

And I'm sure Laczynski can work on his first couple strides like most skaters his age. He also put on a lot of weight this past year, and apparently he wants to drop 5-10 pounds. There is always room for minor improvement there. But keeping up with the play mentally is most important.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
In the article he says he's 6'1" and 195lbs.

For some reason I had been under the impression that he was 5'10"..... I have no clue who I was mixing him up with because I know roughly how tall every other prospect is...

I'd guess Salinitri since he's been picked three spots later by the Flyers and fits the size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad