Prospect Info: Round 6, Pick 169, Tanner Laczynski, C, Chicago/Lincoln (USHL)

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Laughton needed a Shooting Percentage 85% over his career average to get to his 20 Goal pace. You would need to justify why he specifically is an outlier for that to be remotely sustainable.

And since this is the go-to example, Ovechkin has never had a single season approaching Laughton's 17+% last year. It's the same mistake over and over and over again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's also been jacked around, if Laughton could play LW on an offensive line he'd be fine.
He's not going to drive a line, but he's more talented than Raffl, who put up 20 goals.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Laughton needed a Shooting Percentage 85% over his career average to get to his 20 Goal pace. You would need to justify why he specifically is an outlier for that to be remotely sustainable.

And since this is the go-to example, Ovechkin has never had a single season approaching Laughton's 17+% last year. It's the same mistake over and over and over again.

I'm just looking at it from the perpective in two years of why lose the 27 year old Laughton who can do the same role as the 30 year old Pitlick or the 33 year old Raffl...

I think there are people who should be expendable on this roster before Laughton.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He's also been jacked around, if Laughton could play LW on an offensive line he'd be fine.
He's not going to drive a line, but he's more talented than Raffl, who put up 20 goals.

Well in the 275 Minutes Laughton spent with Hayes this year, they were poor offensively and quite good defensively with respect to Shot metrics that include Quality. That's not encouraging to me on a raw Goal Scoring scale.

As far as the Raffl comp goes, if the conversation is whether or not Laughton can put up 20 Goals while playing ~500 5v5 Minutes with 2014-15 Giroux and Voracek if he Shoots 15.7%, sure he can do that. And then he'll never do it again.

I'm just looking at it from the perpective in two years of why lose the 27 year old Laughton who can do the same role as the 30 year old Pitlick or the 33 year old Raffl...

I think there are people who should be expendable on this roster before Laughton.

Got it. I think the argument would be potential return on Laughton if indeed Fletcher was getting as many calls on him at the deadline as LeBrun (?) stated.

Reactions: VladDrag

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Glad he signed. Seems like a solid bottom 6 add and maybe a Pitlick replacement if he wants too much.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Depends what you mean by talented. He is a faster skater with a better shot.

But Raffl is far better defensively, better on the boards, around the net, and hockey IQ wise.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't really see Laughton and Laczynski as having anything to do with each other. Laughton is a LW or 4C; Laczynski is pretty strictly a RW. Maybe he can play center in a pinch, but he's a RW in terms of projections. Could he play LW? Versatility is a strength, but I'm not sure I've ever seen him there.

If and when NAK signs his cheap multi-year deal this offseason, the 4RW job should be his for the short-term future. He probably has more to do with blocking Tanner than Laughton. I think Laczynski is more purely skilled than NAK -- people will see how strong his below the dots game is, particularly as a poised playmaker -- if we are talking the 3RW job. But the Flyers have so many moving parts between Patrick and Frost and Farabee and even Oskar (though it would be foolish to make any assumptions for next season).

Pitlick is strictly a 4RW and NAK has made him expendable entering the UFA market. That's a no brainer for me talent-wise and contractually. We have Raffl under contract 1 more season and he can play anywhere, though should be pencilled in at 4LW. Laughton is also under contract 1 more season, and though I think it's a good time to strike while his trade value is at a high for several reasons (unsustainable numbers, roster reasons, disinterest in re-signing to market value), I'm not sold they will. Though perhaps that might be better than signing Grant to multiple years or something. It wouldn't even surprise me if it's Raffl they trade, though I would disagree.

Where does this leave Laczynski? I have no idea. Something would have to give. Perhaps he's first call-up, but I do believe (and Flahr seems to agree) he's NHL ready.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rich people problems.

Of course, we'll see if they sign Allison, given his hot finish, he looks to be past his injuries, and the Flyers could certainly use a big PF at RW with a scoring touch.

Though to me Kase is the wildcard at RW, he's shown flashes, if he ever put it together he could beat out both of them.

Farabee can play RW, but unless Lindblom returns, I think he's slotted for 2LW next year.
G - Couts - Voracek
Farabee - Hayes - TK
The rest will battle for bottom six slots.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I would except Laczynski to start with Lehigh even if he is NHL ready just to get his feet wet in the professional ranks.

Line 1 LW Andreoff C O’Reilly* RW Kase
Line 2 LW Ratcliffe C Frost RW Allison
Line 3 LW Rubtsov/Willman* C Vorobyev RW Sushko
Line 4 LW Twarynski/Strome C Fitzgerald* RW Laczynski/Laberge

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison, Laczynski and Kase will all be 23 next season.

Given AV broke camp with two 21 year olds and a 19 year old (once they got back from the West Coast), I think it'll come down to how they look in TC.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't really see Laughton and Laczynski as having anything to do with each other. Laughton is a LW or 4C; Laczynski is pretty strictly a RW. Maybe he can play center in a pinch, but he's a RW in terms of projections. Could he play LW? Versatility is a strength, but I'm not sure I've ever seen him there.

If and when NAK signs his cheap multi-year deal this offseason, the 4RW job should be his for the short-term future. He probably has more to do with blocking Tanner than Laughton. I think Laczynski is more purely skilled than NAK -- people will see how strong his below the dots game is, particularly as a poised playmaker -- if we are talking the 3RW job. But the Flyers have so many moving parts between Patrick and Frost and Farabee and even Oskar (though it would be foolish to make any assumptions for next season).

Pitlick is strictly a 4RW and NAK has made him expendable entering the UFA market. That's a no brainer for me talent-wise and contractually. We have Raffl under contract 1 more season and he can play anywhere, though should be pencilled in at 4LW. Laughton is also under contract 1 more season, and though I think it's a good time to strike while his trade value is at a high for several reasons (unsustainable numbers, roster reasons, disinterest in re-signing to market value), I'm not sold they will. Though perhaps that might be better than signing Grant to multiple years or something. It wouldn't even surprise me if it's Raffl they trade, though I would disagree.

Where does this leave Laczynski? I have no idea. Something would have to give. Perhaps he's first call-up, but I do believe (and Flahr seems to agree) he's NHL ready.

NAK can play LW at least... but has not since juniors properly I dont believe.

Kase can too... but has not in AHL yet from what I have seen.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
what type of return can you get for laughton if they looked to move him? No problem selling high depending on the return.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I would think that the amount of shot attempts per season Ovechkin has compared to Laughton would make this a unfair comparison.
How many shot attempts did Ovechkin have last year. Including blocked shots, missed shots ect.
There is a better chance at having a higher shooting percentage if you attempt few shots. Obviously there are outliers but the odds go down if you attempt 500 or more shots in a season .

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Tanner Laczynski vs. NHL Drafted NCAA FWDS with at least 25 points this season:

- Primary Assist% (Explained at top of picture right below this text):
Laczynski Primary Assist% vs. Peers with at least 25 points.png

- Visualized a different way:
Laczynski A1% Picture 2.png

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
20/23 primary assists is bonkers. Especially on a team providing little offensive support. Puts into context how few cheapies he got this season. He’s also a better natural goal scorer than his college totals probably indicate.

I’ve long wondered what would happen if you put Laczynski in a more natural support role with a dynamic creator. Which I expect to happen now. He’s never NOT been the most talented offensive player and playmaker on his USHL/NCAA teams.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Isn't it weird that 1 year ago we had complete and utter garbage on our 4th line and now we have about 6 players competing for a job there?

Reactions: Tripod

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Isn't it weird that 1 year ago we had complete and utter garbage on our 4th line and now we have about 6 players competing for a job there?

I mean... the first guys Hextall drafted are draft+5 now... for the most part their age 23 season.

It is starting to look like the Flyers got the same amount of legit NHL forwards past the first round in 2014 alone (Lindblom+NAK) than they did from 2004-2013 (29 drafted, Maroon+Cousins only ones, not counting Rinaldo as was an active negative, an AHLer, as fun as his hits were)...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's starting to look like Laughton will be TLD trade bait, he probably has priced himself out of a return next season, even with a pre-ED handshake deal (expect a lot of those with FAs this offseason). Laczynski and Allison pretty much have to be on the roster, and I'm starting to think Wisdom may make the team if he keeps playing like he has in LHV, he's physically ready and is playing like he's mentally ready.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When I first saw Laczynski playing at OSU, his lack of speed made me shake my head as to what people saw in him. Well, he took care of that. He's a player now.
It just shows how hard it is to judge eighteen year olds. The same goes with Tyson Forrester. Supposedly he was Babe the Blue Ox on skates. Now we see him in the A and the guy can get around the rink just fine with the older guys, thank you. It makes one wonder where some of these scouting reports come from.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When I first saw Laczynski playing at OSU, his lack of speed made me shake my head as to what people saw in him. Well, he took care of that. He's a player now.
It just shows how hard it is to judge eighteen year olds. The same goes with Tyson Forrester. Supposedly he was Babe the Blue Ox on skates. Now we see him in the A and the guy can get around the rink just fine with the older guys, thank you. It makes one wonder where some of these scouting reports come from.

It's like projecting physical grow with someone like Farabee who was 162 lbs at the NHL combine. Educated guess work.

I think the key to good scouting is to look at someone with a clunky skating motion and be able to figure out whether we can fix this, probably comes down to the type of flaws, whether the player has the quick twitch athleticism that will respond to better mechanics and the work ethic to make the changes.

They've worked on Strome but he's got physical limitations, however Lindblom et al have responded well to coaching.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Bump . Has anyone heard how Laczynski is progressing from his hip surgery ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad