Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 98: Samuel Dove-McFalls, C, Saint John (QMJHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I saw the last part of game 2 on NHLN yesterday, but Saint John were already up 4-0 so there wasn't much going on. They lead the series 2-0.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's featured on the Flyers website today.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/dov...championship--philadelphia-flyers/c-289390606

Dove-McFalls, Sea Dogs capture QMJHL Championship
Flyers prospect will now play for prestigious Memorial Cup

The Sea Dogs went an impressive 16-2 through the QMJHL playoffs with Dove-McFalls, who also serves as an alternate captain for the team, recording five goals and seven assists for 12 points and a +11 rating in 18 games. He also scored both goals in a 2-0 win in Game 3 of the Finals to give Saint John a 3-0 series lead.

He also becomes the fourth straight Flyers prospect to win the QMJHL President Cup joining Philippe Myers (Rouyn-Noranda, 2016), Sam Morin (Rimouski, 2015), and Nicolas Aube-Kubel (Val-d'Or, 2014). He is now looking to become the first Flyers prospect to win the Memorial Cup since Eric Wellwood won in back-to-back years in 2009 and 2010 with the Windsor Spitfires.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I figured if we were signing him, it would be between now and the Mem. Cup.

Almost like a "reward" for a good season.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
i figured they would have announced it yesterday along with the Lindblom signing if they were gonna do it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They may be looking at a numbers situation down the road and just decided he was too redundant to have a future, so do the kid a favor.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They may be looking at a numbers situation down the road and just decided he was too redundant to have a future, so do the kid a favor.

Exactly, he may get a better chance if he's drafted by someone else or just signs as a UFA. Not a problem for me. He's a big kid with character but he's not a fast skater and he doesn't have great hands. He's Vandevelde right now, and that's not enough.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Look at their recent drafts. A lot of forwards taken & a lot of them have progressed more than SDM. Add another draft with 11 picks this year it's tough to really see where he would have fit in.

2014:
- Nicolas Aube-Kubel
- Oskar Lindblom
- Radel Fazleev

All three with contracts. NAK & Fazleev going into their second year playing for the organization. Lindblom entering his first.

2015:
- Travis Konecny
- Samuel Dove-McFalls
- Mikhail Vorobyov
- David Kase
- Cooper Marody

Konecny & Vorobyov with contracts. Konecny going into his second year playing with the organization. Vorobyov going into his first.

2016:
- German Rubtsov
- Pascal Laberge
- Wade Allison
- Carson Twarynski
- Connor Bunnaman
- Tanner Laczynski
- Anthony Salinitri

Rubtsov, Laberge, & Bunnaman with contracts. Rubtsov could play in the AHL this season. Otherwise he'll will be joining in 2018-2019 with the other two.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Exactly, he may get a better chance if he's drafted by someone else or just signs as a UFA. Not a problem for me. He's a big kid with character but he's not a fast skater and he doesn't have great hands. He's Vandevelde right now, and that's not enough.

Seems like a total waste of an early 4th round pick just two years later though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not a significant loss. Only so many roster spots to go around.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Look at their recent drafts. A lot of forwards taken & a lot of them have progressed more than SDM. Add another draft with 11 picks this year it's tough to really see where he would have fit in.

2014:
- Nicolas Aube-Kubel
- Oskar Lindblom
- Radel Fazleev

All three with contracts.

2015:
- Travis Konecny
- Samuel Dove-McFalls
- Mikhail Vorobyov
- David Kase
- Cooper Marody

Konecny & Vorobyov with contracts.

2016:
- German Rubtsov
- Pascal Laberge
- Wade Allison
- Carson Twarynski
- Connor Bunnaman
- Tanner Laczynski
- Anthony Salinitri

Rubtsov, Laberge, & Bunnaman with contracts.

Connor Bunnaman might have made SDM expendable. Seems like a similar prospect but a better version.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Speaking of prospects, any updates on how Wade Allison did this year (minus just looking at the numbers)? I really liked that pick last year and think he could have a future in the NHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Odds get smaller past 100.
And it's getting crowded on the Flyers' prospect ladder.
Which is good, cutting/trading lesser talent because you have better talent is always good.

Flyers have 5 draft picks in the third/fourth rounds, approximately 50/50 that one of the five plays 400 games and 13% that he's an allstar. Even if you draft above average, when faced with odds like that, you want numbers and aceept the misses.

But if they draft the next Patrick Sharp or Ghost, do you really care if the other four are cut?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad