Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 98: Samuel Dove-McFalls, C, Saint John (QMJHL)

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
In fairness, only 10 to 20 % of third and fourth rounders play more than a season in the NHL. Thats one player every three to five years of drafting. I think our scouts/Hextall have done an excellent job of drafting. When you look at hockey db over a ten year period starting in say 2012 there is a wide range of positions and skillsets that become NHLers in the 3rd and 4th rounds and many are with different teams than originally drafted them. The most telling point is that on average (2010 there were none and 2012 looks like three or four) maybe one a year in each round becomes a difference maker. Huge difference between 2nd and 3rd round.

It will be interesting to track those numbers from this point forward. The majority of GMs have settled into life under the cap now and the value of 3rd-7th round picks has increased with the need for cheap talent. The NFL has gone thru the same transition. Once upon a time, picks from the 3rd round on were throw aways. Now it is imperative for a NFL team to succeed to get decent starters in the 3rd round and beyond. With addition of Vegas and eventually another team, the successful clubs are going to hit on a higher percentage of later round picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's a shame they couldn't get him on a one year AHL deal at least. Right now it looks like the 17-18 Phantoms will be filled out with veterans, and guys with even less upside than Dove-McFalls like Goulbourne.

Leier(if he gets thru waivers)-Vecchione-McDonald
Carey-Vorobyov-NAK
Martel-Fazleev-Kase(if he signs)
Goulbourne-

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
It's a shame they couldn't get him on a one year AHL deal at least. Right now it looks like the 17-18 Phantoms will be filled out with veterans, and guys with even less upside than Dove-McFalls like Goulbourne.

Carey-Vorobyov-NAK
Martel-Fazleev-Kase(if he signs)
Goulbourne-

Hopefully vets on 1 yr deals.next season u have rubtsov,laberge,Allison,twarynski,bunnyman and possibly morewho all could be on the phantoms.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah you would expect Hextall to add a few more leaders for the kids to lean on. Of course the issue becomes that the coach overplays them and doesn't give development opportunities to the kids.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Corban Knight and Chris Conner would be worth bringing back on one year deals.

Carey-Vorobyov-NAK
Martel-Knight-Conner
Goulbourne-Fazleev-Kase(if he signs)

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I think Corban Knight and Chris Conner would be worth bringing back on one year deals.

Carey-Vorobyov-NAK
Martel-Knight-Conner
Goulbourne-Fazleev-Kase(if he signs)

I think bardreau will be back. Cousins and leier are the big question marks in what happens to them.it will be an interesting off season for sure to see how things play out with roster spots on the flyers and phantoms.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I think Leier clears without a problem. He hasn't shown enough to prove that he has NHL skill yet. I'm hoping NAK starts to take some of his ice time as the season goes on

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Looks like he's had a good year in juniors. I hope he'll finally turn pro next season.
He was playing with the 2020 #1 pick.

He’s been free to sign with a team for months now. No bites so far. Probably get an AHL deal before next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->