Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 98: Samuel Dove-McFalls, C, Saint John (QMJHL)

SchennSational1022*

We should have taken Austin Wagner or Parker Wotherspoon here, but whatever. I can't complain.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's odd that I see our two 4th round picks as the clear weakest of our haul, especially since the 5th and 6th rounders look so much better. It seems like it would make more sense if the two sets of two were swapped.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I trust our scouts. These are the picks where there were probably rumblings a few teams thought the were potentially high end sleepers and wouldn't mind taking a chance on them.

I have a hard time saying I wanted him or this guy over our pick because this is where the scouts make their money. This is the deep end of scouting and interviewing to see the potential. They know where or what they want them to do, so I have faith(blindly) that they see that potential

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The first post has been updated in this thread. Part of an article includes:

“My dad’s from California and my mom is from Toronto; I speak English at home,” Dove-McFalls said in a laid-back way. “My grandparents and uncle live in California so I’m out there quite a bit.”

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Coached Sam in 2012-2013 season

Great kid, hard worker both on the ice and in the gym. Always wants to improve himself.
Has the ability to make plays as well as finish but that is not his calling card. I think he could benefit from doing it more often, however I do not think it's worth it for him to try and do more offensively if it takes away from his defensive side of the game. He is very responsible in his own end and always on the penalty kill. His road to the NHL will be a long one where he will have to work his behind off but I think he has the skill, the tools and especially the mindset to do it.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Coached Sam in 2012-2013 season

Great kid, hard worker both on the ice and in the gym. Always wants to improve himself.
Has the ability to make plays as well as finish but that is not his calling card. I think he could benefit from doing it more often, however I do think it's worth it for him to try and do more offensively if it takes away from his defensive side of the game. He is very responsible in his own end and always on the penalty kill. His road to the NHL will be a long one where he will have to work his behind off but I think he has the skill, the tools and especially the mindset to do it.
Thanks for the insight!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He learned immediately how dumb the Flyers media can be.

Seems like a smart kid.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
He learned immediately how dumb the Flyers media can be.

Seems like a smart kid.

VERY intelligent kid.

Not many kids can say they are fluent in 3 languages when the 3rd language is not within is family at all and he learnt that language at the age of 14 when he was studying over seas. Yes, Aside from English and French, Sam is fluent in German, although he may have lost some of it seeing as he doesnt have to put it to use when he's home here in Montreal or playing in St-John's.
Comes from a family where education is very very high on the values list. Not going to go in to personal stuff but his parents do not hold regular 9 to 5 jobs, it's a highly intelligent and very respectful family.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like Ed Barkowitz (think that's how you spell it) He doesn't even regularly cover the Flyers so I have no idea why he was even at the draft.

He writes for the Daily News the same paper as Seravelli used to write for. I guess they had Barkowitz filling in until they replace Seravelli's spot with someone else.

He's typically a pretty good writer with good insight but yeah that was a stupid question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad