Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 98: Samuel Dove-McFalls, C, Saint John (QMJHL)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Samuel Dove-McFalls

----------------------------------

sam-mcfalls-2.jpg

source: http://www.cemhockey.com/en/players/sam-dove-mcfalls/

----------------------------------
From NHL.com:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=98584

• Position: Left Wing
  • Born: April 10, 1997, Montreal, QC, CAN
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 207 lbs.
  • Team: Saint John (QMJHL)

FAVORITES:
  • NHL team: Montreal Canadiens
  • NHL player: Max Pacioretty
  • Shootout move: "Fake shot, backhand"
  • Goal celebration: "Classic both arms in the air"
  • Video game: FIFA
  • Movie: The Mighty Ducks
  • TV show: How I Met Your Mother
  • Actor: Daniel Savoie
  • Musician: Eminem
  • Sport (other than hockey): Soccer
  • Athlete (non-hockey): Eugenie Bouchard

-------------------

http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/20150627/konecny-gets-award-named-for-former-flyers-coach

Given the best chance out of that lot is Samuel Dove-McFalls, who hails from Montreal, plays for Saint John in the Quebec junior ranks and describes himself as “good two-way centerman,” presumably with a good French-Canadian work ethic.

Then again ...

“My dad’s from California and my mom is from Toronto; I speak English at home,” Dove-McFalls said in a laid-back way. “My grandparents and uncle live in California so I’m out there quite a bit.”

When he’s not surfing from Montreal to Monterrey (or thereabouts), Dove-McFalls is usually cruising the neutral zone, saying “I can play in all kinds of different situations and in all three zones. I kill penalties, play on the powe play. Sort of a good all-around player.”

Then there’s Cooper Marody, who hails from Brighton, Mich., will play for the Wolverines and has already spent two-plus years bouncing about the USHL for three different teams.

He recalled playing at the bantam level, and “being the worst player on my team.” He remembers going into high school “and freshman year I got cut from the varsity.” He remembers trying out for the USHL “and I was a ninth-round draft pick of Green Bay.”

Last edited by a moderator:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not too familiar with Saint John's standing in the Q. Not as much playing time, or ... ?

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Obviously if he makes the NHL it will be a success.

I have the mindset to take high upside players though later in the draft. Boom/bust guys.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Not sure what they think they are getting in this guy?
...maybe just another C. VandeVelde, Daroll Powe, Andreas Nödl type of grinder.

rk5n

Dec 26, 2011
Or is there hidden offensive potential? Just looking at team stats he was 9th in team scoring. Was he getting decent minutes or was he blocked?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How does your size effect your game?

It obviously helps with my reach and for battles in the corners. I can use my weight, its easier move people off the puck or to protect the puck. You’re a bigger frame so people have to work more to get around me and in the corners.

How is it playing on a team with so many draft eligible players?

Pretty exciting for sure. I think we have 10 or 11 guys that could potentially get drafted. We don’t want to talk about it took much for sure, its all on the back of our minds. Its all just a source of motivation. It can help the team for the better

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2015-nhl-draft-samuel-dove-mcfalls-interview/

What would you say is the strongest part of your game?

Probably my hockey sense. I play a smart game, smarter than the opponent. Its great to work hard and everything, but if you’re not working in a smart way, its not that effective. I keep my game simple and make the most effective play every time.

What’s been the biggest obstacle in your hockey career and how did you overcome it?

I think I’ve always flown under the radar. I’ve never really been recognized as a top top player, even in the Q I went in the 3rd round. I’ve always had to work hard. When I was a first year Peewee, first year Bantam every time I just barely made the top team and every year I was on the 3rd or 4th line and had to fight my way up and every year I would end up playing on the top 2 lines. I’ve sort of been the guy that isn’t that impressive at first but as time goes on I can prove myself to people.

Last edited:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Not too familiar with Saint John's standing in the Q. Not as much playing time, or ... ?

Started the season as 4th line center and worked his way up to 2nd line center. Did not get PP time, but is the first PK center on Saint John.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Our scouts do well in the Quebec league, let's see if he blossoms. We do need some big strong forwards.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Young team. Should be one of the best in the league next year. Watching Saint John a bit this year, can't say he stood out, but I sure heard his name a bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad