Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 98: Samuel Dove-McFalls, C, Saint John (QMJHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall gave Goulbourne an ELC, so it would be a strange move to let this guy go after the 19-year old season he's had. The Phantoms only signed centers for 17-18 are Vorobyov and Fazleev, with Bardreau (who plays wing as much as center) as an RFA. So it's not like there isn't room for him in the AHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
They have 35 contracts next year counted, but I don't know how many can be slid or how many more will be added. Lindblom comes to mind thats not counting

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bunnaman, Hart, Laberge and Rubstov will all slide in 17-18 unless they somehow make the Flyers.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Bunnaman, Hart, Laberge and Rubstov will all slide in 17-18 unless they somehow make the Flyers.

Rubstov can play in the AHL next year and in that case it will count. If he's sent back to juniors, then yes, it will slide as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His contract would slide in the AHL as a 19 year old, just like Hagg's did.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Flyers have a lot more depth than when Goulbourne signed. It's probably 50/50 he signs. If he does sign I could see him playing another year in the Q since last year was essentially a wash.

They could also be waiting on Foo's decision.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think the center depth is great at the AHL level, and I think Dove-McFalls is a comparable prospect to Fazleev but we'll know in a month if Hextall agrees.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'll sign Dove-McFalls, this is what Hextall wants on his 4th line, a guy with decent size and some skills who can play two way hockey. He was dinged up last year so Hextall was probably waiting to see how he performed this year before offering an ELC.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think the center depth is great at the AHL level, and I think Dove-McFalls is a comparable prospect to Fazleev but we'll know in a month if Hextall agrees.

You aren't just committing to him for 1 season though (unless he signs an AHL deal). The AHL roster next year shouldn't have much impact on whether Dove-McFalls gets signed or not. They can sign AHL vets to fill out the roster next year (I think they will). If the Flyers don't think he has NHL potential they shouldn't sign him to an ELC and possibly take away a spot from someone in the future who does have NHL potential. I don't think Fazleev is anything spectacular, but he is a much better prospect than SDM at the same point in their careers (imo of course) and look at the season he is having now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fazleev scored more in his draft + 2 season, but that was mainly due to the PP where he wasn't playing behind high end forward talent on one of the best teams in the CHL. Their ES scoring numbers are pretty close - 33 in 59 for Fazleev, 34 in 65 for Dove-McFalls.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Fazleev was also playing on an offensively-challenged Calgary team and playing on a line with guys like Malenstyn and Peterson. Dove-McFalls is playing on a beastly Saint John team and Nathan Noel has been the line driver in the games I've caught.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Peterson played all of 14 games. And Fazleev was on the top PP unit with Bean and Sanheim.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Fazleev scored more in his draft + 2 season, but that was mainly due to the PP where he wasn't playing behind high end forward talent on one of the best teams in the CHL. Their ES scoring numbers are pretty close - 33 in 59 for Fazleev, 34 in 65 for Dove-McFalls.

Don't you think that says a little something about his overall skill level? We're talking about junior hockey here. It's not his 1st year with the club either. He's a 4th year player with the same team. He's had plenty of time to establish himself as one of those top players. Saint John is absolutely a great junior team, but it's not like they are stacked with a slew of top prospects up front. Mathieu Joseph, for example, was picked behind Sam in both the Q Draft and the NHL Draft and has established himself as one of the top players in the league.

Again, I don't think Fazleev is some super prospect on anything, but he worked his way up the depth chart, on to the top PP, and produced at a good clip there. Dove-McFalls' two most common linemates are Mathieu Joseph and Matthew Highmore btw. Doesn't get much better than that in the Q. The two best offensive players on Fazleev's team were both defensemen.

And there's a reason Fazleev was signed less than a year after his draft, even without the gaudy PP stats. SDM may still get signed, but we are a month away from the deadline...

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They signed Goulbourne in early March but given he was an overager (he turned 21 that January) they had to wait until then otherwise signing him earlier would have burned the year on the ELC.

So I don't really think it's a slam dunk he gets signed at this point. It's not really a tough decision.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Scored a goal today in a 6-5 win. Saint John play Blainville in the Finals starting on Friday.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Flyers last CHL prospect still playing in 2016-17.

I think maybe people just hate his name! Go fly Doves!!

amazing-white-dove-in-flight-animated-gif.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad