Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The Flyers actually weren't as "anti-Russian" before the Holmgren era as conventional wisdom would lead you to believe. I think it was Meltzer that did a write-up on their history with Russians.

The Holmgren era was certainly devoid of them though. Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, Zherdev, Afanasenkov, and Zhitnik were the only Russians I can find that laced them up for the Flyers during his entire tenure from 06-07 to 13-14. In 7 drafts, he drafted ONE Russian, Valeri Vasiliev.

Pretty sure Zhitnik is Ukranian :).

Well Holmgren is Holmgren.

He was always good for a trade (and most of the time made sensible ones) but his drafting and signings were sometimes questionable.

Jody Shelley comes to mind.

In the early 2000's we had some nasty Russian players with Yushkevich, Malakhov, Zelepukin and with a short stint Markov. Those were fun times.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
It's the smart play by Hextall. Russians are still undervalued at the draft table. It's a good way to get elite talent without openly tanking.

Totally agree.

With all the Bennings, Sweeneys, Chiarellis and Bergevins in the NHL I am thankful we have a GM called Ron Hextall.

He has a vision and he goes his own way.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

He was always good for a trade (and most of the time made sensible ones) but his drafting and signings were sometimes questionable.

In the early 2000's we had some nasty Russian players with Yushkevich, Malakhov, Zelepukin and with a short stint Markov. Those were fun times.

I loved having markov, I wanted him to stay a flyer, he was a true warrior!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Had no idea! Always thought he was Russian.

Zhitnik = Coburn (one ECF Finals appearance, one Finals appearance) = Gudas and Konecny

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

Game highlights, Vorobyov is #24 in the green jersey:

The channel is awesome.

They have every game in full as well.

For example here is the last game in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtT0_wZp2aM&ab_channel=ХоккейныйКлубСалаватЮлаев

Vorobyov scored his first goal in KHL today! And added 1 assist to it. However his team (Tolpar Ufa) lost the game 7-5 against Sochi.

1 G, 1 A, 7/11 (63.6) on faceoffs, 1 SOG, 8:06 TOI, and centered the 3rd line.

here is the goal: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/329719#

all vorobyov prospect page hilites (so far) together...

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Salavat Yulaev Ufa (Vorobyov, Fedotov) open the season against Severstal Cherepovets on August 23rd.

Can we expect any starting time for Fedotov? I guess Svedberg is the goalie to beat.

I hope Vorobyov will be a regular for them. If he gets 3rd line minutes and can work on his defensive game it would be awesome. Next year he may step up and join the top-6.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Can we expect any starting time for Fedotov? I guess Svedberg is the goalie to beat.

I hope Vorobyov will be a regular for them. If he gets 3rd line minutes and can work on his defensive game it would be awesome. Next year he may step up and join the top-6.

Yes, Svedberg is clear No. 1 goalie, he played 53 games last season + play-offs, and KHL season has 60 games overall... so I really don't know what to expect. Better for Fedotov to play in the lesser league than sit on the bench for whole season but I am sure he will get some games in the KHL.

Vorobyov will hopefully expand his role and play more than 7/8 minutes per game. Ufa is pretty stacked team.

Grigorenko, Hartikainen, Omark, Kaprizov, Engqvist - these 5 are likely lock to play top 6 minutes, maybe he could grab that last spot, if he's really good, but it would have to be on the wing, so 3rd line seems to be reasonable (hopefully).

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

I think for the next season, if Vorobyov gets a full-time 4-th line center spot at Salavat (which would mean around 14 minutes of TOI), it would be a good result.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think for the next season, if Vorobyov gets a full-time 4-th line center spot at Salavat (which would mean around 14 minutes of TOI), it would be a good result.

Caser, I hope you become an adopted Flyers fan because of our little stockpile of high profile Russian kids. We need more posters like you here.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Caser, I hope you become an adopted Flyers fan because of our little stockpile of high profile Russian kids. We need more posters like you here.

I second that bigtime :handclap:

Caser is DA MAN

Thanks guys. :) Flyers organization is definitely an intriguing one, and, probably the second behind Lightning (Vasilevskiy and Kucherov - first love, you know :D ) that I follow the most, so I will be definitely hanging around here. ;)

Since this thread is not exactly about me, I thought it would be good to have a look-up at the center situation at Salavat Yulaev team. And that situation is pretty much perfect for Vorobyov as the team is facing a lack of center depth: #1 center Andreas Engqvist, decent middle-six center Evgeniy Bodrov and a declining bottom-six center Sergey Soin + Igor Grigorenko, who can play center from time to time. So for a rather strong team like Salavat Yulaev it is probably hard to imagine a weaker center pipeline and it has been announced by coach and by GM that young guys like Vorobyov and Khripunov will be the ones expected to fill out the remaining roster spots.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Thanks guys. :) Flyers organization is definitely an intriguing one, and, probably the second behind Lightning (Vasilevskiy and Kucherov - first love, you know :D ) that I follow the most, so I will be definitely hanging around here. ;)

Since this thread is not exactly about me, I thought it would be good to have a look-up at the center situation at Salavat Yulaev team. And that situation is pretty much perfect for Vorobyov as the team is facing a lack of center depth: #1 center Andreas Engqvist, decent middle-six center Evgeniy Bodrov and a declining bottom-six center Sergey Soin + Igor Grigorenko, who can play center from time to time. So for a rather strong team like Salavat Yulaev it is probably hard to imagine a weaker center pipeline and it has been announced by coach and by GM that young guys like Vorobyov and Khripunov will be the ones expected to fill out the remaining roster spots.

great news! keep the updates coming Caser!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Really appreciate the continued info, Caser. Thank you.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

On top of that GM Weisfeld said that he's happy about the team's "young centers" and that he wants them to play.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Vorobyov centred Salavat's 3rd line in their opening pre-season game today vs their VHL affiliate.

He was pointless in a 2-0 win.

Nice that he centred the 3rd though... he does have a legit shot at starting the season in that spot. Which would be great.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vorobyov centred Salavat's 3rd line in their opening pre-season game today vs their VHL affiliate.

He was pointless in a 2-0 win.

Nice that he centred the 3rd though... he does have a legit shot at starting the season in that spot. Which would be great.

Here's a link to the game if any of you are crazy enough to actually want to watch preseason KHL...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Vorobyov centred the 4th line, between fellow youngsters Khripunov & Kaprizov (though tbh on ability level it was more like a 3rd line) today vs Swedish team Västerås.

They won 6-3, and Vorobyov got a goal.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Vorobyov centred Kaprizov and Khiripunov again today in 5-2 win vs KHL side Admiral Vladivostok.

He got a goal + an assist with Kaprizov getting 2 assists and Khiripunov a goal.

They might be young but that line has quite a lot of talent... if he plays the whole season with Kaprizov they have the potential to do some real damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad