Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His contract expires at the end of this season. I wonder if he would come over to play in the AHL next year. I find not many Russians go from the KHL to the AHL, they usually just make the jump to play in the NHL.

I wonder how much money he'd be making over there. On an ELC in the AHL he could make around $70,000 + a $92,500 signing bonus.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/roman-lyubimov

And obviously there's the potential to raise the salary up to $832,500 if he can make the Flyers.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Salavat have 2 centres out...

so Vorobyov was elevated to 1C and played 17:09 in a 4-3 KHL win today.

He was 55.6% on the draw and +1.

He should have also been given an assist on the GWG... he did good work on the boards and got puck to Kaprizov who fed Lepisto for the goal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Vorobyov keeps playing this well, ideally he'd come over for AHL playoffs (timing permitting) then compete for a NHL job next year - he already has the NHL body.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ultimately time will tell after this year but he could always re-up for another year or so there in the KHL. It's not uncommon for Euro players especially Russians to bypass time in the AHL by staying until they're legitimately ready to compete for an NHL roster spot.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ultimately time will tell after this year but he could always re-up for another year or so there in the KHL. It's not uncommon for Euro players especially Russians to bypass time in the AHL by staying until they're legitimately ready to compete for an NHL roster spot.

It will be interesting for sure... until a month or so ago I thought the most likely scenario was he simply sign another ~2 year KHL deal and then come over when he is ~22 straight to the NHL. Which is a pretty common path.

But he has played really well in the KHL in all zones, is a serious physical specimen who will have no problem with the NHL from a size/strength perspective... he is a year ahead of where I think most anticipated being even with a 'good' development curve.

He is also a player who has indicated consistently in the press that he aims to play NHL... he said so in like local news as well, so not just guff.

If he keeps pressing on with his play this year and impresses at the WJC... it makes me wonder if he might think he can win a spot on the Flyers out of camp.

It is not like he is playing for some team like Neftekhimik, Riga, Slovan etc... he is at Salavat... they compete every single year and are generally one of the best ~6-8 teams in the KHL year in, year out. You don't get playing time there unless you earn it against very good competition.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The emergence of Vorobyov eases the pain how Rubtsovs been used this season. Really happy to see him develop his 2-way-game further and further.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Vorobyov was always a second round talent in terms of skill. It was his skating that was knocked. While he will never be a fast skater, he seems to be very much in the Couturier mold of always being in the right place.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Let's hope he comes over this summer when his contract is up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Flyers in general. Morin took a puck to the jaw his last year in junior and Sanheim took one to the face a couple days after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad