Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Vorobyov has started his 11th game in KHL, playing against SKA St. Petersburg (Kovalchuk, Shipachyov, Dadonov).

Centering the 3rd line alongside Nesterov and Lazarev.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Back in MHL last two days.

Yesterday got an assist in 3-1 win over Fedotov's Reaktor team.
Today got a goal & assist in 3-2 loss to Fedotov's Reaktor team.

19gp, 6g, 16a, 22p in MHL.
12gp, 1g, 1a, 2p in KHL.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Vorobyov is playing for Russia in 4-nations tournament in the Czech republic. He has 3 points (1+2) in 2 games. In half an hour, Russia will play their last game in this tournament, against Slovakia.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Spoke to a Russian poster who thinks Vorobyov has a good chance of centering the 1st line at next year's WJC

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was the #1 Center at last year's U18s with Guryanov on his wing. They only have 2 forwards eligible to return and neither play center.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
He also said he sees Vorobyov as a middle 6 Center in the NHL.

Said he sees Kamenev Vorobyov Guryanov being their 1st line next year

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He also said he sees Vorobyov as a middle 6 Center in the NHL.

Said he sees Kamenev Vorobyov Guryanov being their 1st line next year

Kamanev is not eligible it will likely be Wild pick Kaprizov who was just traded to SU last week, Vorobyov's KHL team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They typically bring a team heavy on 19-20 year olds but it seems like most of their talent for next year is going to be younger than that. So that should be interesting.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Anyone have a link of where it says the Flyers saw him as 2nd round talent?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Anyone have a link of where it says the Flyers saw him as 2nd round talent?

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncate...aft-table-interview-flyers-scout-todd-hearty/

For Hearty the real prize in the middle rounds was Russian center Pavel Vorobyov, considered a solid second-round prospect by the team.
“He needs half a step, which is just strength,†said Hearty. “He’s a two-way center with size. He’s big and he’s skilled. I look at him, and I don’t see a huge, huge difference between him and (Joel Eriksson) Ek.

Also liked this:
“We all had so many guys left on our list at the end,†said Hearty. â€You needed nine or ten rounds this year, there were so many guys.â€

Then we signed Myers! :handclap:

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
With all the hype around Rubtsov (and rightfully so) Vorobyov gets sold a bit short, IMO.

It's expected both are going to represent Russias top two lines in the WJC. I hope they push each other to the next nevel.

Can you imagine two centers of the Flyers top-9 and their number one defender filled with Russians ?! Well, times have changed :laugh:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
With all the hype around Rubtsov (and rightfully so) Vorobyov gets sold a bit short, IMO.

It's expected both are going to represent Russias top two lines in the WJC. I hope they push each other to the next nevel.

Can you imagine two centers of the Flyers top-9 and their number one defender filled with Russians ?! Well, times have changed :laugh:

Yeah... I don't get it. He's probably the second best C prospect in the Flyers' system. The Russian junior program seems to have him first on their C depth chart, though Rubstov has better upside. Seems like people are sleeping on him due to draft position and Russian nationality.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The Flyers actually weren't as "anti-Russian" before the Holmgren era as conventional wisdom would lead you to believe. I think it was Meltzer that did a write-up on their history with Russians.

The Holmgren era was certainly devoid of them though. Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, Zherdev, Afanasenkov, and Zhitnik were the only Russians I can find that laced them up for the Flyers during his entire tenure from 06-07 to 13-14. In 7 drafts, he drafted ONE Russian, Valeri Vasiliev.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

It's the smart play by Hextall. Russians are still undervalued at the draft table. It's a good way to get elite talent without openly tanking.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Yeah... I don't get it. He's probably the second best C prospect in the Flyers' system. The Russian junior program seems to have him first on their C depth chart, though Rubstov has better upside. Seems like people are sleeping on him due to draft position and Russian nationality.

and actually that's fine.

It's just one of them who needs to become a first-line center :nod: and the Flyers will be set up for a long time.

Seriously, I know it's absurd to expect anything like top-line potential from both of them at this point of their developement but if one of the two pan out I can see a years-long window to contend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad