Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a stretch to think Vorobyev has a top six ceiling, unless he discovers an extra gear, I'd say middle six is more accurate.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He is also earning $550,000 now, in his home-town, with Russian tax rates, and Russian cost of living...

that is ~$460k after tax. And Ufa cost of living is 3x less. That will go as far as ~$1.5 million in Philly...

he has gone on record as saying that he wants to head back to the USA and crack the NHL after his deal is up, but he is in a prettttty nice situation.

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it's a good situation for Vorobyev, his only hope to be a NHL player is to sharpen his offensive skill set, he demonstrated that he simply isn't interested in forechecking or being a defense first player, which precludes working his way up the NHL ladder. So it makes more sense to make good money in the "homeland" and improve his offense rather than get buried in the AHL.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think it's a good situation for Vorobyev, his only hope to be a NHL player is to sharpen his offensive skill set, he demonstrated that he simply isn't interested in forechecking or being a defense first player, which precludes working his way up the NHL ladder. So it makes more sense to make good money in the "homeland" and improve his offense rather than get buried in the AHL.

Oh yeh... I would probably do the same if I were him.

He is earning - in terms of spending power after tax - probably around triple what he would get if he had signed an RFA deal with Philly on even a one-way contract.

And gets to be home, around family, with a small child. More pros than cons if did not think guaranteed go get an NHL job.

I also do believe that he wants to come back. And I think most athletes in most sports want to prove themselves at the highest level...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, but if you're Russian you have friends and family, and if you're a KHL star, you have connections and privileges.

Reactions: flyersNducks

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Whitney said when he got back to Boston from Russia the first thing he did was order a shit ton of food from his local pizza shop & just pigged out.

His description of coming home from Russia sounded like a war veteran coming home from war. :laugh:

Vareniki, Pelmeni, Blini, Pirozhki are all great... where was Whitney eating haha.

Though understand. I always went and got a meat and potato pie and a good cider when I got back home from Denmark or Netherlands.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Vareniki, Pelmeni, Blini, Pirozhki are all great... where was Whitney eating haha.

Though understand. I always went and got a meat and potato pie and a good cider when I got back home from Denmark or Netherlands.

I don’t think he portrayed some restaurants as necessarily bad just that he missed American cuisine especially the easy to go stuff like a pizza shop.

His general sense was just that he had a new appreciation for things he took as granted whether it was living & playing hockey in North America.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Mike Commodore describing traveling from Vladivostok to play the rest of the KHL and then getting in a fight a restaurant with two locals is one of the best spittin chiclet segments.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He is also earning $550,000 now, in his home-town, with Russian tax rates, and Russian cost of living...

that is ~$460k after tax. And Ufa cost of living is 3x less. That will go as far as ~$1.5 million in Philly...

he has gone on record as saying that he wants to head back to the USA and crack the NHL after his deal is up, but he is in a prettttty nice situation.
This is so true . You can make very very good money playing hockey in a lot of other places in the world . To come back to North America to make way less take home money and play an 82 game sch ,,, and get the crap beat out of you my much more physical style of play just ain't worth it . People on here think the NHL is so great and it might be for the top 30 /40 percent but for the rest there is more take home pay with easier schd... elsewhere .

Vorob is gone and if Rubt has an ok year over there he has way better chance making money over there and won't be back just to play on 4th line for league min minus escro and taxes with way higher cost of living .

I'm not saying this as a Philly fan of course but this hockey reality .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is so true . You can make very very good money playing hockey in a lot of other places in the world . To come back to North America to make way less take home money and play an 82 game sch ,,, and get the crap beat out of you my much more physical style of play just ain't worth it . People on here think the NHL is so great and it might be for the top 30 /40 percent but for the rest there is more take home pay with easier schd... elsewhere .

Vorob is gone and if Rubt has an ok year over there he has way better chance making money over there and won't be back just to play on 4th line for league min minus escro and taxes with way higher cost of living .

I'm not saying this as a Philly fan of course but this hockey reality .

Not sure of the rules, but you get to UFA much faster as an older player, so playing in Europe/Russia for a marginal prospect rather than being buried in the AHL makes sense, make more money, perfect your skill set, then come over when you don't have to go through a 3 year ELC and a long RFA stretch. But no one in Europe makes the kind of money you get if you're a NHL starter and get close to UFA, because that next contract is guaranteed and even for bottom six players can be $2+M a year for multiple years.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not sure of the rules, but you get to UFA much faster as an older player, so playing in Europe/Russia for a marginal prospect rather than being buried in the AHL makes sense, make more money, perfect your skill set, then come over when you don't have to go through a 3 year ELC and a long RFA stretch. But no one in Europe makes the kind of money you get if you're a NHL starter and get close to UFA, because that next contract is guaranteed and even for bottom six players can be $2+M a year for multiple years.

Yeh. True:

But with Russia the cost of living and tax rates means that - for example - Vorobyev would need to be earning close to ~$3m a year in Philly for his money to go as far as it will right now in Ufa.

He is on close to $500k after tax. In a place 3x cheaper than Philly.

If you are a top KHL player you are getting ~$1.5-2.5 million a year... with basically no tax.. with 75% of KHL cities being 3x cheaper than the USA.

1.5 million outside of Moscow, Helsinki, Riga and St. Petersburg is the equivalent of getting 7-9 million (depending on where are) in most NHL cities in terms of how far your money will go.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yeh. True:

But with Russia the cost of living and tax rates means that - for example - Vorobyev would need to be earning close to ~$3m a year in Philly for his money to go as far as it will right now in Ufa.

If you are a top KHL player you are getting ~$1.5-2.5 million a year... with basically no tax.. with 75% of KHL cities being 3x cheaper than the USA.

1.5 million outside of Moscow, Helsinki, Riga and St. Petersburg is the equivalent of getting 7-9 million (depending on where are) in most NHL cities in terms of how far your money will go.
Likely not a case for Vorobyov for obvious reasons, but the KHL clubs pay a flat/house rent for a foreign player, the players are getting a car/driver usually. So, the foreign player has expenses only on food & shopping & leisure time in the city.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeh. True:

Not exactly, cost of living would be more meaningful comparing a middle class income, that is, basic housing, car, utilities, food, etc. And of course, you have to adjust for quality (fresh fruits and vegetables would be more expensive, and so on).

As your income increases, you're buying luxury goods that are sold on the world market and they may be more costly in Russia where there is even more income inequality and a lot more corruption. Good vodka may be cheaper in Russia, good Scotch isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00