Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is a much better player than grant and Thompson.

No he isn't, it's not like he didn't get multiple looks in the NHL. Fail. Too passive for 4C, didn't skate well enough for 3C.
He'll have three years to polish his game, without taking up room for the Flyers.
In 2023, a 26 year old Vorobyev who's improved his game could step right in if there's room for him.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even as someone who doesn't believe in Vorobyev, it's clear as day that he never got a legit shot in the NHL. Scrap time or time with someone like Stewart isn't going to show what a prospect can do.

He's played under two coaching failures in the NHL and one in the AHL. He was set up to fail and my main worry is this will happen with superior prospects too.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Vorobyev has gone the way of Lyubimov and many others before him back to their home county.

Rubtsov, Kase and Sushko could be next in line if they can’t carve out a full time spot in the NHL.

Best of luck to Misha back in Ufa.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Rubtsov, Kase and Sushko are better NHL prospects than Misha.
3 years in the KHL is ideal for Misha, he's not suited to 4C (allergic to contact) so he needs to polish his offensive skills to have another shot at the NHL.

Rubtsov and Kase just need to stay healthy and polish their game.
Sushko just needs more experience, he'll compete for a 4th line slot if Raffl leaves next year.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It’s no surprise Vorobyev is doing well in Russia. His game is much better suited for the KHL than NHL.

He can play a finesse top 6 role in the KHL, where he’s a bigger fish in a much smaller pond, & where the pace & physicality aren’t near NHL levels.

He had no such spot in the NHL, where his subpar speed, poor motor, & avoidance of physical contact made him a lousy fit for both the top 6 & bottom 6.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
It’s no surprise Vorobyev is doing well in Russia. His game is much better suited for the KHL than NHL.

He can play a finesse top 6 role in the KHL, where he’s a bigger fish in a much smaller pond, & where the pace & physicality aren’t near NHL levels.

He had no such spot in the NHL, where his subpar speed, poor motor, & avoidance of physical contact made him a lousy fit for both the top 6 & bottom 6.

I dont saw any of this from our new toy Centers. We used draft picks to get them. And i bet Misha wouldnt make more failures than our veteran star aquisitions. Misha was for free.

I dont say he would have been better. But he cant be worse than this two....

Stop this physicality bullshit. Especially if you speak about Thompsoft and Grantpoo. I saw maybe one impact hit of Thompsoft in the whole playoffs. Grantpoo was invisible the whole playoffs.

Just my two cents

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Misha was a 4th rd pick, he wasn't "free." And we still have his rights in three years when he'll either raise his game playing in the KHL or it'll be obvious that he's maxed out.

Thompson and Grant are far more physical than Vorobyev, heck, Giroux was more physical than Vorobyev.
Vorobyev played 20 games, 191 minutes, CF 45.19%, xGF 35.37%, HDCF 30.21%, CFrel -5.38%, xGFrel -14.74, HDCFrel -19.79.

One positive note, he was better than Stewart.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I dont saw any of this from our new toy Centers. We used draft picks to get them. And i bet Misha wouldnt make more failures than our veteran star aquisitions. Misha was for free.

Stop this physicality bullshit. Especially if you speak about Thompsoft and Grantpoo. I saw maybe one impact hit of Thompsoft in the whole playoffs. Grantpoo was invisible the whole playoffs.

Just my two cents

I'll say it - he would have been better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll say it - he would have been better.

And you'd be wrong. Stick to Photoshop, Cap'n.
Misha was bad, almost as bad as Stewart, that's about as low as you can go (do the Limbo).

It's a shame, we had high hopes, but you expect an older rookie to at least hold his own, Misha failed to do even that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

Just my two cents
Physicality is about more than just bodychecking. It’s about winning puck & positioning battles. About not being afraid of contact. And it’s not “bullshit.” It matters. The Islanders showed that.

I don’t think Thompson or Grant are good. But Vorobyev was not a more effective player, & he’d have been a joke in the playoffs against the Islanders. At least Thompson & Grant tried, lousy as they are. Vorobyev has no motor.

Reactions: orangey

Ironmanrulez

Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Physicality is about more than just bodychecking. It’s about winning puck & positioning battles. About not being afraid of contact. And it’s not “bullshit.” It matters. The Islanders showed that.

Dont saw the 2 winning any battles. The only thing i will give Thompson is his ability to win faceoffs. How can you be good in anything with the worst metrics in the Bubble?

And yeah the islanders played the body effectively. But not Thompson or Grant. So what is your Intention in mentioning this?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Dont saw the 2 winning any battles. The only thing i will give Thompson is his ability to win faceoffs. How can you be good in anything with the worst metrics in the Bubble?

And yeah the islanders played the body effectively. But not Thompson or Grant. So what is your Intention in mentioning this?

My point is that Vorobyev isn’t even capable of handling the grunt-work faceoff, dzone start, PK, board-battle role that Thompson occupied in the playoffs. I’ve made it clear that I think Thompson & Grant were disappointing & poor. What many don’t want to acknowledge, & make excuses for, is that Vorobyev was just as bad in an easier environment & with less responsibility. Blah blah, blame it on Stewart, yeah, whatever.

Ironmanrulez

Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
My point is that Vorobyev isn’t even capable of handling the grunt-work faceoff, dzone start, PK, board-battle role that Thompson occupied in the playoffs. I’ve made it clear that I think Thompson & Grant were disappointing & poor. What many don’t want to acknowledge, & make excuses for, is that Vorobyev was just as bad in an easier environment & with less responsibility. Blah blah, blame it on Stewart, yeah, whatever.

Ok i understand your point. My point is that you dont need a "grunt-work faceoff, dzone start, PK, board-battle role" anymore. Especially if the player you use for that role is very bad at it. Like Thompson or Grant. You can use a 4th line with solid all around skills to play a few minutes every game. You dont need to stop playing Couts vs the Opponent top line. Let him shut down the Opposition and let guys like Nak,Vorobyev,Raffl, Laughton play vs the 3rd line or 4th line. Other Teams have 4th lines with Speed and skill. Misha would have been ok in this role. He is a solid Pk Player. He is a good passer and can hold his own in the Dzone. Also he is young and would have gain experience. Maybe he would have been as bad as Thompson. But we would have still our draft picks and we would have known that Vorobyev isnt Nhl Material. Now we know shit and lost draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->