Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ok i understand your point. My point is that you dont need a "grunt-work faceoff, dzone start, PK, board-battle role" anymore. Especially if the player you use for that role is very bad at it. Like Thompson or Grant. You can use a 4th line with solid all around skills to play a few minutes every game. You dont need to stop playing Couts vs the Opponent top line. Let him shut down the Opposition and let guys like Nak,Vorobyev,Raffl, Laughton play vs the 3rd line or 4th line. Other Teams have 4th lines with Speed and skill. Misha would have been ok in this role. He is a solid Pk Player. He is a good passer and can hold his own in the Dzone. Also he is young and would have gain experience. Maybe he would have been as bad as Thompson. But we would have still our draft picks and we would have known that Vorobyev isnt Nhl Material. Now we know shit and lost draft picks.
They made their evaluation on Vorobyev.
3eebjt.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
6 points in 15 games in the KHL isn't that great for an "offense only" center.
That's 33 in 82 games, then discount by 0.7, or 23 points in a NHL season.

if Rubtsov put up those numbers with his defensive acumen, I'd be overjoyed, but Vorobyev has to be a dominant offensive center to make it back to the NHL unless he suddenly learns to play a physical, defensive game. Which I doubt will ever happen.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
6 points in 15 games in the KHL isn't that great for an "offense only" center.
That's 33 in 82 games, then discount by 0.7, or 23 points in a NHL season.

if Rubtsov put up those numbers with his defensive acumen, I'd be overjoyed, but Vorobyev has to be a dominant offensive center to make it back to the NHL unless he suddenly learns to play a physical, defensive game. Which I doubt will ever happen.

He is playing PK1 for them at times tbf.

He is also like 13th in P/GP for forwards u-24 in the league.

Now, having watched half the games inconsistency has been an issue. He has looked like a KHL 1C in ~3-4 games and a mediocre 3C in the other ~3 games I have seen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev was good on the PK, I think because he could use his reach in that role, hounding the puck handler at the point (Hayes is great at that), but PK is not really a test of defensive IQ for a forward.

Face it, Vorobyev is allergic to contact, and that's a problem when you're a big center with average speed. He's an excellent passer, but what else does he bring to the table? If he won't forecheck and hit anyone, well, if you want to play like a 180 lb center, you'd better skate like one as well.

Which is why I think three years in the KHL will do wonders, he'll have to improve his defense and will get the opportunity to sharpen his offense, which has to be much better given his flaws to make it in the NHL.

He has been my biggest disappointment among Flyer prospects, given his size and offensive skill package, I thought he had a chance to be a solid two way 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad