Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
He was never given a real shot. They played him with him Stewart and other garbage. I hope he comes back.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Vorobyev’s game is built for European leagues. More time & space, less physicality.

He’s not a good fit for the NHL. Wants to play a finesse & skill game, but he’s not fast & not talented enough to be effective that way in the NHL.

And no coach wants a bottom-six forward who is slow & shies from physical contact.

Reactions: orangey and renberg

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Vorobyev’s game is built for European leagues. More time & space, less physicality.

He’s not a good fit for the NHL. Wants to play a finesse & skill game, but he’s not fast & not talented enough to be effective that way in the NHL.

And no coach wants a bottom-six forward who is slow & shies from physical contact.
The KHL clubs have been using the smaller ice surface, either 60x28m (Finnish) or 60x26m (NHL)

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The KHL clubs have been using the smaller ice surface, either 60x28m (Finnish) or 60x26m (NHL)
Even without a bigger ice surface, players still have more time & space offensively in European leagues.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

He was really good in the Ahl and did not get a real shot in the nhl

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He was really good in the Ahl and did not get a real shot in the nhl
He got more of a shot than a lot of AHLers get.

NHL coaches are there to win, not to give struggling unproven players a long look.

There’s too much competition for NHL jobs. If you don’t do something to stand out when you get called up, someone else will.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
And GMs and coaches never make mistakes, so case closed.

Similarly, we’ve had three coaches and two GMs use Hagg, so clearly he’s a good player.

Exactly. These are the same geniuses who waived NAK and who has looked better than JVR so far and who may become an excellent middle six winger.

Vorobyev was never given a legitimate shot - like Hak playing NAK 6 minutes/game with crap and then eventually scratching him and sending him down to the ahl.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev never showed anything at the NHL level, Varone was a great AHL player, MV had a solid AHL career, Weal put up great AHL numbers. Good play in the AHL is only mildly predictive of NHL success.
Heck, Vorobyev wasn't that good in the AHL, Twarynski had better metrics this past season.

NAK got NHL shots, when you're on the 4th line it's shift by shift, and if you're flying, coaches notice.
A HC isn't expecting skill plays out of his 4th line guys, that's a bonus, he wants to see them make things happen with hustle, speed and the IQ to know when to get back and not chase the puck.
NAK simply didn't play with intensity last season or in training camp, when he came back, he was a different player.

Once NAK showed he'd bring it every shift, AV kept increasing his PT and his responsibilities.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Good to see Misha having some early success in his KHL stint.

I wouldn't mind him staying there evolving his scoring skills till his mid twenties and then coming back to the NHL as a finished product where he can be plugged right into a top-6 scoring role.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think he’s a trade candidate at the end of this year. Not saying we will get a healthy return for him but to a team that may have openings for him unlike us.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
There will never be a top 6 spot for him.

Who knows but I agree that he would have to turn into pure dynamite playing for Salavat Ufa the next couple of years or he will never get the recognition that it takes.
More realistic option could be to try recoup the 4th round pick as part of a trade package.

Reactions: Tripod

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Who knows but I agree that he would have to turn into pure dynamite playing for Salavat Ufa the next couple of years or he will never get the recognition that it takes.
More realistic option could be to try recoup the 4th round pick as part of a trade package.

I think he goes over and gets more confidence and continues to improve his skating. I can see him coming back in a year or two as a 4th line center and being incredibly solid.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't trade him as it mostly looks like his value can only go up. If he has a few great years in the KHL, other teams will notice.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think he goes over and gets more confidence and continues to improve his skating. I can see him coming back in a year or two as a 4th line center and being incredibly solid.
He signed a three-year contract with Salavat Yulaev Ufa in the KHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev will never be a 4C, he doesn't have the mentalite for that spot.

Spending 3 years in the KHL makes sense if he's in a top 6 or top 9 role, his future depends on refining his offensive skills, improving his skating, using his big body to make zone entries (similar to Hayes and Voracek), improving his shot, etc. Do that and he could be a solid 3C offensively, he has good vision and a good touch on his passes.

The best you can probably hope for him on defense is mediocrity, that is, don't be a liability, though he is a good PK guy.
His lack of speed and physicality and average instincts suggest the best you can hope for is a guy who learns the angles and positioning on defense.

Reactions: captainpaxil

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Would you trade a 4th for him, knowing that he may never return? I sure wouldn't.

Maybe in 3 years if he looks great over there and states he wants to return someone may be interested. Anything is possible.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad