Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah of course you want both, but it's more important to develop the NHL prospects at the end of the day. Winning can help in that development but only if they are gradually getting more responsibility and making larger contributions towards the wins. You want a nice balance of prospects and vets among the top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

And this year was a stepping stone, I don't think Hextall had enough confidence in a lot of the kids to win this year. So he brought in mercenaries. Now he has a better idea, plus he's pulling in more guys. I think we'll see a greater shift of prospects to vets next year.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Vecchione could be in the mix with the Phantoms. He's not a lock to make the Flyers at this point. He needs a strong camp and preseason. He will be competing against Laughton and Bellemare for the 4C spot. Either of them can play wing but there are several wings competing for a spot there too. If Vecchione and Laughton both somehow make the Flyers, they probably re-sign a veteran to play Center with Vorobyov, Bardreau, and Fazleev rounding out the top 4.

Cousins is ahead of Laughton. Laughton has been underwhelming at the NHL and AHL level. Cousins may be smaller and a less good skater but he is a much better hockey player. The Flyers management and coaching staff know that.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think they are well aware that PEB is not a 4C. There are several options being brought in to push him to the side.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cousins is ahead of Laughton. Laughton has been underwhelming at the NHL and AHL level. Cousins may be smaller and a less good skater but he is a much better hockey player. The Flyers management and coaching staff know that.

I don't think the team views Cousins as a Center though. They groomed Laughton as two-way center all season for the Phantoms and he apparently played very well.

If Vecchione makes the team as 4C, than yeah, Cousins is competing with Laughton for one of the winger spots.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah he really should be playing RW. He's much better there.

Agreed, he played C because they didn't have any more. Hell, for a while, they didn't have 3 Centers, let alone 4.

Now with Filp in the fold, and the addition of Vecchione or Laughton coming back, they may ice 4 centers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Cousins is ahead of Laughton. Laughton has been underwhelming at the NHL and AHL level.

Laughton hasn't been underwhelming in the AHL. He was the team's best ES scorer, and lead the team in +/-. Hextall was very impressed by his performance there this season.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Philadelphia-Flyers-Scott-Laughton-Phantoms-playoffs.html

"He's become a much more well-rounded player," Hextall said. "Scotty understands the role that suits him and his strengths. He's used his speed better. He's become a much more consistent player."

Hextall said "there have been times where I've been hard on Scotty, but I can say this: For him to go back after playing a full year in the National Hockey League and to work every day to become a better player . . . it's really noticeable. His focus during a game and his work ethic are very noticeable. He's really grown as a player."

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Another mid-round gem, the future is blindingly bright and it makes me wonder what's in the heads of those who criticise Hextall. It's a long process, expecting results immediately is an odd attitude to have.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
https://www.championat.com/hockey/article-271982-obzor-glavnyh-hokkejnyh-sobytij-dnja-26042017.html

Vorobyov said he made the decision a long time ago and has already prepared everything for the move.

His GM doesn't seem to agree: "I wish him luck, it's his decision. Nobody knows how it will go. Maybe he'll break into the NHL and it'll be fine? I'm not upset. So many people have left that i'm used to it. I was upset when [Kondratyev?] went to Toronto the first time. Now i'm calmer."

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hexy could have taken him in the 5th the same year as Vorobyov. Oh well, Kase seemed like a decent pick at the time and still does.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
not that i really like comparing prospects to current NHL players, but who does this kid compare to?

Couturier for playing style. Big strong 2 way centre. Vorobyov's an excellent passer and has a scoring touch too. Has swagger and attitude (in a good way).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The usual suspects on the main boards aren't happy about another Russian leaving for North America. :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

That celebration :laugh: He is such a pimp :yo:

pimp-kramer-o.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Both of those jerseys in that clip are awesome.

I'm just glad he signed. Russian kids don't usually come over if they're not realistically close to playing in the NHL. He was in a good situation with his KHL club so I don't think the Flyers would take him away from that if they felt that too. I think he'll be in the NHL lineup sooner than later. I don't think he spends a lot of time in the AHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad