Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm just glad he signed. Russian kids don't usually come over if they're not realistically close to playing in the NHL. He was in a good situation with his KHL club so I don't think the Flyers would take him away from that if they felt that too. I think he'll be in the NHL lineup sooner than later. I don't think he spends a lot of time in the AHL.

I think he's closer to the NHL than he's given credit for. What does he have to work on really to get there? His skating has already improved, but sure, I guess that will continue to improve. But it's fine. His size is NHL. His mind is NHL. His defensive game and cycle work already looks there. If Sean Couturier could play at 18-19, I find it hard to believe Vorobyov can't play at 20-21 as our 4C. I understand the big ice transition, but his game is tailored to the small ice, pro game. What it might come down to is if they would rather just develop him in the AHL for a year in a more offensive, bigger role. After all, he's only finishing his D+2 year. With Laughton (if he's here) and Vecchione presumably battling in camp, and of course reliable PEB always lurking in case, there's no rush. But could he honestly look better than them at camp? Don't think it's entirely crazy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think he's closer to the NHL than he's given credit for. What does he have to work on really to get there? His skating has already improved, but sure, I guess that will continue to improve. But it's fine. His size is NHL. His mind is NHL. His defensive game and cycle work already looks there. If Sean Couturier could play at 18-19, I find it hard to believe Vorobyov can't play at 20-21 as our 4C. I understand the big ice transition, but his game is tailored to the small ice, pro game. What it might come down to is if they would rather just develop him in the AHL for a year in a more offensive, bigger role. After all, he's only finishing his D+2 year. With Laughton (if he's here) and Vecchione presumably battling in camp, and of course reliable PEB always lurking in case, there's no rush. But could he honestly look better than them at camp? Don't think it's entirely crazy.

I'm not really expecting him to make it out of camp but I don't think that group of players there is exactly murderer's row. So it could come as the year goes on if Vorobyov lives up to his end down in the AHL. I have to think he's very likely going to settle in as the first forward up on the call-up list.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think they liked him a lot during last camp, and I don't think he did anything to change their mind. He had a pretty good year in the AHL. Also I think he was pretty damn good as a defensive center.

Plus he's bigger and stronger than Flip.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev shows flashes, one thing that impresses me is his play behind the net, he really sees the ice and can make that quick accurate pass to the open man.
But he had limited minutes in the KHL and is still relatively inexperienced, and missing a bunch of games didn't help.
Probably comes down to how he looks in camp v Bardreau, MV and Knight. The safe move is send him down, look at the others, and if no one steps up, recall him in December or January.
If he keeps developing, it'll be a battle for 4C in 2019-20, depending on how Rubtsov develops in the AHL.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I haven't seen enough of Voro in AHL to have an opinion, but he looked pretty good. I'm prepared to risk him at 4C if it means that Filppula or some other such useless piece of crap like Weise or Gordon is NOT signed as 4C.
Weise can play better then that.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I imagine this is gonna go like every other impressive youngster we’ve had in camp the last few years. Does well, looks like he should be on the team or at least given a shot all things considered (our current crap depth and his performance history), but he ends up not making the team for reasons then goes on to make it anywhere from half a year to a year later than he should have. Rinse, repeat, Flyers.

If you couldn’t tell, I agree with Magua that I’m not sure what he has left to work on at this point. Or why we should be so afraid to give him a look see all things considered.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I imagine this is gonna go like every other impressive youngster we’ve had in camp the last few years. Does well, looks like he should be on the team or at least given a shot all things considered (our current crap depth and his performance history), but he ends up not making the team for reasons then goes on to make it anywhere from half a year to a year later than he should have. Rinse, repeat, Flyers.

If you couldn’t tell, I agree with Magua that I’m not sure what he has left to work on at this point. Or why we should be so afraid to give him a look see all things considered.

I wrote that 14 months ago though tbf! Before he even played at all in the AHL. :laugh:

I do think he plays an NHL game right now as a bottom 6 center. I think structure and improved talent around him will benefit him. I also could see why another half a season in the AHL wouldn’t be bad. I really don’t think they can go wrong either way. He deserves a real look in camp though with a good offseason. But I understand why they won’t pencil him in. But his AHL time confirmed my previous thoughts more than anything: he’s very pro.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Vorobyev just isn't that experienced, he didn't play big minutes in the KHL.
59 MHL games, 78 KHL games, 67 AHL games (including playoffs). That's his career the last four years, plus some international experience.
Compare to Lindblom since 2014 - 167 SHL games, 65 AHL games, 27 NHL games.
And Lindblom played big minutes in the SHL his last two seasons there.
Vorobyev is not a great talent, he needs ice time to sharpen his instincts.

So I can see him losing ties to guys like Bardreau and MV in camp, because Ron may want to see if they belong, and will have the option of recalling Vorobyev after 30 AHL games or so if they don't pan out.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vorobyev just isn't that experienced, he didn't play big minutes in the KHL.
59 MHL games, 78 KHL games, 67 AHL games (including playoffs). That's his career the last four years, plus some international experience.
Compare to Lindblom since 2014 - 167 SHL games, 65 AHL games, 27 NHL games.
And Lindblom played big minutes in the SHL his last two seasons there.
Vorobyev is not a great talent, he needs ice time to sharpen his instincts.

So I can see him losing ties to guys like Bardreau and MV in camp, because Ron may want to see if they belong, and will have the option of recalling Vorobyev after 30 AHL games or so if they don't pan out.

tenor.gif

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like Misha and I have only watched him live 7 times this past season, but in my humble opinion, he's not quite there yet.
He just didn't stand out in any game I saw and didn't stand out in any facet of the games I saw. He has the potential to be a good 4C but just needs some more time. As has been stated previously, he needs to improve his skating, his quickness, and overall processing of the game since it gets even faster at the next level.
Since it was such a small sample size I hope I'm wrong because I would rather watch him struggle vs some past his prime vet

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be fair, deadhead is a vocal Pimp Daddy fan.

I do get a kick out of him propping up Bardreau and Vecchione though, knowing full well he will dislike them as NHLers. (Sorry, head, but we know it's gonna happen.)

They're 4th line cannon fodder, all I ask is that they're upgrades over Lehtera, Weise and Read (and given they outplayed Read in the AHL, that's not a huge jump). Same with Knight. Who to me looks like a better skating version of VdV. And hopefully NAK can be Leier with a physical edge. Just give me better depth than we've had to go with Raffl on the 4th line (I like Laughton as the 3rd line LW).

If they surprise, great. If not, just hold the fort for Rubtsov, Twarnyski, Kase, et al.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad