Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
PP time really depends on whether Hextall brings back guys like Miele and Conner.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well Hextall signed some guys to patch work the AHL, but he knew he had reinforcements coming. I don't see him being as jumpy on the FA plan for the AHL guys. He'll probably let some guys walk and free space up for the prospects.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There's no reason Vorobyov shouldn't get PP time on the point/half wall because he's pretty good at it. Unlike someone like Laughton, who they absolutely think can't play on the PP, I think Voroyov has enough potential to play on the PP2 where he should be there.

I also don't think it's impossible they give him a look at 4C on the Flyers in camp, but we'll see in due time, and he may be best served spending a full year as the Phantoms top center. Remains to be seen how they view Vecchione or Laughton for next year besides generic praise.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's no reason Vorobyov shouldn't get PP time on the point/half wall because he's pretty good at it. Unlike someone like Laughton, who they absolutely think can't play on the PP, I think Voroyov has enough potential to play on the PP2 where he should be there.

I also don't think it's impossible they give him a look at 4C on the Flyers in camp, but we'll see in due time, and he may be best served spending a full year as the Phantoms top center. Remains to be seen how they view Vecchione or Laughton for next year besides generic praise.

I agree but the way they've done things down there with prospects to this point hasn't exactly been with much logic. :laugh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The guy is a national reporter in Canada. I'm guessing his sources are far greater than those guys who just only get whatever info they do out of people within the organization which isn't easy.

This guy probably has sources within the league office & with sports agencies. I'd imagine that's how most of these national guys get any information that they come by on the Flyers.

I know who he is and I'm sure you're right.

What I was saying is that it was funny that they didn't even tweet about it after he already said it. Not even a retweet of his tweet. They don't have sources and they can't even use already public information to do their jobs. :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I just feel the need to interject -- not to correct anyone but to share the sunshine coming from my heart -- how refreshing it is to see talented and legitimately NHL-potential prospects who were selected in rounds 3+ climbing the ranks. These youngsters will increasingly give Hextall multiple options from within, meaning that the Flyers' weak spot over the past decade + -- ie, free agency -- doesn't have to be used as a crutch to fill key positions. It also serves to continue to undo the cap trap of time immemorial.

I know I'm preaching to the choir but it does a soul good to take this in.

Balloons and chocolate cake for everyone!

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I just feel the need to interject -- not to correct anyone but to share the sunshine coming from my heart -- how refreshing it is to see talented and legitimately NHL-potential prospects who were selected in rounds 3+ climbing the ranks. These youngsters will increasingly give Hextall multiple options from within, meaning that the Flyers' weak spot over the past decade + -- ie, free agency -- doesn't have to be used as a crutch to fill key positions. It also serves to continue to undo the cap trap of time immemorial.

I would have thought u would be an ice cream cake guy Bp ? :laugh:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Can't wait to see the Russian folk gifts when capt. Gets awake and sees the good news.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

What sums it up for me is that we had 9 guys at the WJC, and we had guys drafted in all 7 rounds AND an undrafted guy. We had 2 from round 3.

That's great value in drafting when you look at early returns.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Can't wait to see the Russian folk gifts when capt. Gets awake and sees the good news.

dolls.gif

pimp_zps0tjy76g7.jpg

CCnAq-.gif

bc6iCs.gif

eqPFCy.gif

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Yes, sunshine hearts for everyone. I'm excited Vorobyov is in the fold. Such a good pick.

giphy.gif

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Does this mean that he will play for the Phantoms next season? Or is there still a possibility that he stays in Russia?

Why would he be signed if he wasn't coming over?
The Flyers could look quite different in a year or two with all these prospects coming on board!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Does this mean that he will play for the Phantoms next season? Or is there still a possibility that he stays in Russia?

I'd say 95% chance he's in the AHL. I don't think he can sign if he wasn't coming over. Can't have two contracts.

Considering he's was a 3rd line C in the KHL, I'm not going to dismiss him making the Flyers. I think he has a serious uphill battle against guys like Vecchione and Laughton, but the guy played decent at 20 in the 2nd best league in the world. Nothing to sneeze at.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Laughton was on PP2 at the end of the season, and played quite a lot on the PP in 14-15. I just think when he got sent down this year Hextall wanted him to concentrate on defense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hopefully some of the AHL vets are jettisoned so that the prospects actually get to play. I care more about their development than AHL wins on the backs of vets that have no future on the Flyers.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hopefully some of the AHL vets are jettisoned so that the prospects actually get to play. I care more about their development than AHL wins on the backs of vets that have no future on the Flyers.

You hope they do both, win and develop prospects. Hextall made it clear he wanted to win games this year, which is why he signed so many guys. Granted the reason they lost so much in years past is because the talent pool was so bad. Now its not bad, but I can see why he wanted a quick culture change. Hopefully Hextall can shift the winning culture to the prospects leading the team

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You hope they do both, win and develop prospects. Hextall made it clear he wanted to win games this year, which is why he signed so many guys. Granted the reason they lost so much in years past is because the talent pool was so bad. Now its not bad, but I can see why he wanted a quick culture change. Hopefully Hextall can shift the winning culture to the prospects leading the team

Yeah of course you want both, but it's more important to develop the NHL prospects at the end of the day. Winning can help in that development but only if they are gradually getting more responsibility and making larger contributions towards the wins. You want a nice balance of prospects and vets among the top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Many of the kids like nak and fazleev should be getting more ice time next season. If Laughton stays with the flyers the top 2 center spots r open for vorobyov and ?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Right now Bardreau (RFA) and Fazleev (ELC) are the only other Phantoms centers for 17-18, and Bardreau plays wing a lot.

So Vorobyov must be pretty confident of being the 1C or 2C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Many of the kids like nak and fazleev should be getting more ice time next season. If Laughton stays with the flyers the top 2 center spots r open for vorobyov and ?

Vecchione could be in the mix with the Phantoms. He's not a lock to make the Flyers at this point. He needs a strong camp and preseason. He will be competing against Laughton and Bellemare for the 4C spot. Either of them can play wing but there are several wings competing for a spot there too. If Vecchione and Laughton both somehow make the Flyers, they probably re-sign a veteran to play Center with Vorobyov and Bardreau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->