Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 104: Mikhail Vorobyov, C, Tolpar Ufa (MHL --> KHL)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I imagine this is gonna go like every other impressive youngster we’ve had in camp the last few years. Does well, looks like he should be on the team or at least given a shot all things considered (our current crap depth and his performance history), but he ends up not making the team for reasons.

Provorov and Konecny both made the team as 19 year olds after impressing at the 2016 training camp. Patrick made it as a 19 year old after playing well in the 2017 camp. Sanheim made it as a 21 year old. Do they not count as "youngsters" for some reason?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doodootheclown

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Provorov and Konecny both made the team as 19 year olds after impressing at the 2016 training camp. Patrick made it as a 19 year old after playing well in the 2017 camp. Sanheim made it as a 21 year old. Do they not count as "youngsters" for some reason?

Your reading comprehension is lacking today. I said making the roster half a year to a year later than they should have, not that they weren’t on the team at all. Nice try picking fights though.

Or did you selectively edit out the part about them making a team because you want to pick an internet fight for reasons?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
None of the four young players I mentioned made the team half a year to a year later than they should have, so including that part of the quote changes nothing about the point I was making.

You said every impressive youngster made the team half a year to a year later than they should have. That's obviously false.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Would Artem Anisimov be an NHL comparison for Vorobyev?Two big two-way centers who have offensive upsides!
That's fair, but Sean Couturier is the comparison I like best for Vorobyev. Big, skilled 2 way centre. Skates well, passes superbly, has some scoring touch, very strong defensively.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except Couts dominated juniors and was a NHL player at 18.
Though Vorobyev came out of the KHL which is a very conservative league when it comes to playing young players.
He may be stylistically similar to Couts, but I think there's a sizeable talent gap.

However, I have liked what I've seen from Vorobyev, I think like Rubtsov he has the Russian mentality, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for guys who aren't expected to step right in. They tend to have good fundamentals and discipline, it's a matter of getting them to be more aggressive on offense, which is easier than taking some kid from juniors who just wants to skate and shoot and teach him to play defense.

Reactions: flyersfan187

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Your reading comprehension is lacking today. I said making the roster half a year to a year later than they should have, not that they weren’t on the team at all. Nice try picking fights though.

Or did you selectively edit out the part about them making a team because you want to pick an internet fight for reasons?

How do you know when they "should" have made the team?
Relative to other teams, or other prospects?
Does that take into account draft position or talent?
Pittsburgh for example:
Guentzel was 22
Rust 23
Sheanan 22
Sheary 23-24
Maata 19
Dumoulin 24

Vorobyev turns 22 in January, odds are if he doesn't start the season with the team, he'll be up shortly after his birthday.
Given he didn't play a lot in Russia, 72 MHL games, 78 KHL games (with limited PT), 24 International games, and 67 AHL games, I don't think sending him back this fall is "burying" him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
A super detailed article breaking down Misha's game yesterday.

TL;DR version...

He finished the game with a score and venue-adjusted CF% of 63.74 at 5-on-5 and a +28.22 CF% rel.

Based on both shot quantity and shot quality, his line with Nicolas Aube-Kubel and Danick Martel were the most effective trio for the Flyers by far. The Vorobyev line played against the Barzal line more than any other Islanders’ trio and they were able to break even in Corsi against them, and even out-chance them three to one. Away from Vorobyev, Barzal had a 80% CF, a hefty jump from a break-even 50.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Those numbers also suggest that Bardreau and De Haas are underrated by Flyer fans.
Does he have playoff numbers?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He has been my favourite forward prospect for a couple of years. He just does everything right, and by the way the team talk about him, he must be a funny dude in the changing room. Hes always smiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad