Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick #72: Tyrell Goulbourne, Forward, Kelowna (WHL)

SgtJoseph*

After watching him, I'm warming to the pick. A kid who'll fight older, much bigger guys is at least worth taking a chance on. Reminds me a bit of Rinaldo, think that's the obvious comparison.

A cross between Rinaldo and Tootoo in my view ? BUT he throws punches faster than both from BOTH sides.....The Hound will be smiling !

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Thanks for your response, Carl. I did include that option in my post, though I think it's somewhat disingenious to believe the Flyers FO took it as a given that neither Nurse nor Ristolainen had a chance (albeit small) of them being available. To me, a proper draft sheet would include even Jones, MacKinnon, etc., which – worst-case scenarios – are easy scratch-offs as the front-drafting teams take them as planned. Having just 3 names scribbled down simply is insufficient organizational planning I'd expect from a professional sports franchise.

I think you're still misreading it ... which probably means it wasn't very well written.
As I read it, what's being said is that when the pick came up and no deal was there to be made (i.e. the Flyers were going to use the pick), the team considered three players: Morin and the two forwards. At that point, Nurse and Risto were off the board, so the Flyers could not have considered them as options for the pick.
Am I making sense?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think you're still misreading it ... which probably means it wasn't very well written.
As I read it, what's being said is that when the pick came up and no deal was there to be made (i.e. the Flyers were going to use the pick), the team considered three players: Morin and the two forwards. At that point, Nurse and Risto were off the board, so the Flyers could not have considered them as options for the pick.
Am I making sense?

Yep, that (bolded) makes sense. I'm a bit finicky when it comes to clarity of writing. Occupational hazard. Thanks again for responding.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
I look at this pick this way. Remember when we drafted "The Klotz" and everyone whined because Maxim Mayorov was still on the board. Same thing this time with Bjorkstrand. Mayorov is now a bust. And Goulbourne is way better then Klotz. It's not the end of humanity.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I look at this pick this way. Remember when we drafted "The Klotz" and everyone whined because Maxim Mayorov was still on the board. Same thing this time with Bjorkstrand. Mayorov is now a bust. And Goulbourne is way better then Klotz. It's not the end of humanity.

Since you mentioned Bjorkstrand. What's the deal with Leier, have they finally signed him to an entry-level deal?

If not, any reasons why?

Sorry for gettin' OT.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

No, everyone whined because it's incredibly stupid to waste a 3rd round pick on a goon.

Kinda feels like groundhog day, huh?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Spending a 3rd round pick on a guy who has no upside aside from punching is stupid no matter what. There is still potential to be had in the 3rd round, but not if you waste your pick like Homer tends to do.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Spending a 3rd round pick on a guy who has no upside aside from punching is stupid no matter what. There is still potential to be had in the 3rd round, but not if you waste your pick like Homer tends to do.

I agree. Pick the guys who have upside and talent. Even of they have shown some immaturity. I thought Bjork was ours given that we watched Portland a bunch.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

And klotz is a bust too. So why not take the guy with some compelling upside?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Since you mentioned Bjorkstrand. What's the deal with Leier, have they finally signed him to an entry-level deal?

If not, any reasons why?

Sorry for gettin' OT.

Probably want to see more of him. They still have the camps coming up to see him up close and in person. I imagine that will be a part of the decision process.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Here's an article about the draft from Anthony SanFillippo. He notes the criticism on the Goulbourne pick and asks Chris Pryor why they reached for Goulbourne so early.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676082&navid=DL|PHI|home

There's also a lot of good info in there on the other draft picks.

Chris said the same thing on sports talk yesterday. Seems like the whole staff liked this young man. They really think he has a chance to play and play soon. Interesting.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
A cross between Rinaldo and Tootoo in my view ? BUT he throws punches faster than both from BOTH sides.....The Hound will be smiling !

I was number 9 and played LW. I really was a fan of his. Talk about fast hands:nod: Anyway I have learned 40+ years ago that you just have to wait and see how things turn out. Give it a few years then ***** cause there are no genies in this room.:sarcasm:

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
No, everyone whined because it's incredibly stupid to waste a 3rd round pick on a goon.

Kinda feels like groundhog day, huh?

groundhogday.jpeg

"Don't draft angry! Don't draft angry!"

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was angry at the pick at first, but I like the Flyers' reasoning. I like this guy's character and willingness and that goes a long way toward making the NHL. I really wanted Subban because of his family ties, but if this guy makes the NHL, then as a third rounder, that's a good pick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After watching some clips of the kid, he's a pretty good skater and plays the PK in Kelowna. If he can keep developing defensive game on top of being an energy guy it might not be too bad of a pick.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Can't help it if Bourdon's draft class was so bad that guys like Rinaldo were being drafted. The level of impact depth within the organization, especially on the high-end, can best be described as 'decrepit.'

The draft class wasn't THAT bad. New Jersey took Adam Henrique and Ottawa got Zack Smith AFTER Bourdon in the third round that year.

The Islanders hit on Matt Martin (5th) and Jared Spurgeon (6th) while San Jose nabbed Jason Demers in the 7th round.

I think most franchises still consider the third round a place where you should get an NHL-calibre player - particularly if you're in the top 100 picks.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
When we drafted Rinaldo many were angry we picked him and said he had no upside. He now has NHL experience when many around him and picked well before him have busted completely. Now the exact same things are being said about this kid. The big difference I see is that he was taken much earlier than Rinaldo in what is supposedly a very deep draft. I reserve judgement on this guy till I've seen him play a bit. I loved Rinaldo after his first prospect camp because of his freight train hits and the fact he destroyed Clackson in a fight that Clackson started. There is something to be said for heart, but we shall see.

SgtJoseph*

[/B]

I was number 9 and played LW. I really was a fan of his. Talk about fast hands:nod: Anyway I have learned 40+ years ago that you just have to wait and see how things turn out. Give it a few years then ***** cause there are no genies in this room.:sarcasm:

Absolutely t will take a few years, patience is part of the process. Bob the hound # 9 was one of my favorites growing up, along with Moose Dupont etc. I was 16 when they won their first cup although the hound was hurt and did not play that series.He made up for it the 2nd cup run ! lol

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
When we drafted Rinaldo many were angry we picked him and said he had no upside. He now has NHL experience when many around him and picked well before him have busted completely. Now the exact same things are being said about this kid. The big difference I see is that he was taken much earlier than Rinaldo in what is supposedly a very deep draft. I reserve judgement on this guy till I've seen him play a bit. I loved Rinaldo after his first prospect camp because of his freight train hits and the fact he destroyed Clackson in a fight that Clackson started. There is something to be said for heart, but we shall see.

Rinaldo was drafted in the 6th round and 178th overall. Apples and oranges. It's not that Holmgren drafted Goulbourne, it's that he used a 3rd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad